Reader
plummie1066
0 Kudos

Does Nook Color work with Windows 7

Will windows 7 recognize the Nook Color. Want to buy one, but need to know if it will work with Windows 7.  A competitor color e-reader does not have a drive that win7 recognizes and I want to avoid the same problem. 

Frequent Contributor
davedesrosiers
0 Kudos

Re: Does Nook Color work with Windows 7

It will show up as a Mass Storage Device. Exactly like a generic flash drive. It will be under My Computer with a designated drive Letter. From their you can drag and drop files as you wish. 

Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

davedesrosiers wrote:

It will show up as a Mass Storage Device. Exactly like a generic flash drive. It will be under My Computer with a designated drive Letter. From their you can drag and drop files as you wish. 

It shows up as two devices, even if you don't have a microSD card in it.

But to the basic question....you are correct, I have zero problems connecting my NC to my Windows 7 Ultimate x64 laptop.    I use just a standard microUSB cable, not the one that came with the NC.   Works fine for sideloading, etc.

However, make sure you have the NC turned on and awake!   If it is asleep when you plug it in, you will get the wakeup page...you MUST slide the green screen tab to the right to awaken the NC before it will properly be recognized by Windows.

---------
Don
Reader
plummie1066
0 Kudos

That you both so much.  I just ran out an bought one a couple of hours ago , and it does indeed work with Windows 7. 

I am returning that e-readers that begins with an L and ends with an I because Windows 7 will not recognize that one and there is currently no USB driver coming out until who knows when.  So I paid a lot more for the NC, but it's just like they say....you get what you pay for and I am delighted with it so far. I can connect to my PC and move books onto the NC. And I can buy books from the store.  Love it....

Again both of you thanks for responding so promptly

Distinguished Correspondent
yoshipumkin
0 Kudos

It works on Windows 7.  I don't use the "remove mass storage device" option from my systray.  In your windows explorer, the Nook appears as two different drives, one for the actual Nook and one for the SD card.  Make sure you right mouse menu > eject them both before you disconnect the USB cable.  Or you can just eject using Calibre, but your Nook won't detect that it's been ejected, but I've successfully removed it from the USB cable anyway.

I don't know if I even am responding to your question or if I'm babbling about something completely unrelated. 

Frequent Contributor
davedesrosiers
0 Kudos

The one you had Before was the Literati by sharper image. The nook color screen is WAAAAY nicer than that one. its the same 7" size, but a horrible resolution. and you cant touch it :smileyhappy:

Good choice. enjoy your nook color.