New User
mon68

Downloading Adobe Flash Player on NOOK color

Has anyone been able to download the adobe flash player on the NOOK color.  I select to download it and it says it downloads but I am still not able to access the functions that I need the adobe flash player for.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
Solutions: 4
0 Kudos

Re: Downloading Adobe Flash Player on NOOK color

The current version of Android that the NOOKcolor runs on is 2.1 and does not support Flash.  There is an update coming sometime in the first quarter of this year that will upgrade the Android operating system to 2.2 (Froyo), which is Flash compatible.  We will not be able to use Flash until the update.

New User
mon68
0 Kudos

Thanks for the info.  Do you know if the update will automatically be installed on the NOOK Color or will I have to keep checking for it?

Inspired Wordsmith
Theriot_Publishing
0 Kudos

It's generally an automatic install, but may be available for manual download a few days earlier.

Behold the Glory and Grace of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Let His noodly appendage touch you. Swallow the sauce for it is the blood of innocent tomatoes. So sayeth the FSM. Pasta for Peace!
New User
AriannaMA
0 Kudos

This is great news and has sold me on the nook color.  I had the nook B&W for 2 weeks and decided to try the color.  For the extra money I couldn't see the point in keeping the color....not enough incentive for me.  I it really does get flash player it'd be worth the extra money.  Just hope that is true!!!

B&N Bookseller
MollyO
0 Kudos

There is currently an update being developed that will upgrade the Android OS from 2.1 to 2.2 (quite possibly this quarter) that will support flash. You should be notifed as to the software update via email however as mentioned, updates are normally available online (for manual download) before they are batch issued for devices. It will be a big deal when the update is rolled out so I am confident you will hear of it.

Molly - CRM2723
Reader 2
k2muf
0 Kudos

I can not understand why you all are saying that you have ANDROID on your Nook Color. I just got my Nook Color and the system is 1.01    What Nook do you have that has Android ?

I see that the last date on this subject was in Jan. This is now March.

Nallia
0 Kudos

k2muf wrote:

I can not understand why you all are saying that you have ANDROID on your Nook Color. I just got my Nook Color and the system is 1.01    What Nook do you have that has Android ?

I see that the last date on this subject was in Jan. This is now March.

1.0, 1.0.1, and 1.1 are the firmware versions that B&N use, but the current OS on the NOOKcolor is Android 2.1 (Eclair).

The current latest firmware version is B&N 1.1.  See this link for directions on making your NOOKcolor current:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/nookcolor-support-software-update/379002520/?cds2Pid=35607

This is the NOOK General Discussion board (e-ink not color).  See this link for the NOOKcolor General Discussion board:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOKcolor-General-Discussion/bd-p/NOOKcolorGeneralDiscussion

And the NOOKcolor Technical Support board:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOKcolor-Technical-Support/bd-p/NOOKcolortechnicalsupport

There is an update for the NOOKcolor coming soon.  Visit the NOOKcolor boards for more information.

Reader 2
k2muf
0 Kudos

Hi.

I just got my NOOKcolor today and the latest operating system for it is 1.01. What NOOKcolor has 2.1 Android at this time ??. Your blog was in Jan. it is now April and the latest news from B&N is an update with ( i hope )  flash was due some time last month..

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

k2muf wrote:

Hi.

I just got my NOOKcolor today and the latest operating system for it is 1.01. What NOOKcolor has 2.1 Android at this time ??. Your blog was in Jan. it is now April and the latest news from B&N is an update with ( i hope )  flash was due some time last month..

Did you even look at Nallia's post?

Besides the fact that she answered your question, you're on the wrong boards.  This is Nook. 

NookColor is here -

NookColor general discussion -

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOKcolor-General-Discussion/bd-p/NOOKcolorGeneralDiscussion

NookColor technical support -

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOKcolor-Technical-Support/bd-p/NOOKcolortechnicalsupport

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

k2muf wrote:

Hi.

I just got my NOOKcolor today and the latest operating system for it is 1.01. What NOOKcolor has 2.1 Android at this time ? 

Please read.

NOOKColor firmware current version is v1.1.  An update to 1.2 or 2.0 is expected by the end of the month.

NOOKColor firmware v1.1 is built on top of Android 2.1.  The update that people are expecting, that will be numbered NOOK 1.2 or NOOK 2.0 will be built on Android 2.2 and include Flash.

Nallia
0 Kudos

k2muf wrote:

Hi.

I just got my NOOKcolor today and the latest operating system for it is 1.01.

You don't have B&N's latest firmware version, which is 1.1.  See my post above regarding how to update.  There is also another update expected in the next week or four.

What NOOKcolor has 2.1 Android at this time ??.

ALL OF THEM.  The NOOKcolor runs the Android 2.1 OS.  The number of your firmware has nothing to dow ith it, as it is a number designtated by B&N and refers to their software on the NC.

Your blog was in Jan. it is now April and the latest news from B&N is an update with ( i hope )  flash was due some time last month..

See the NOOKcolor boards about all of your questions.  This is the NOOK board an most people here don't know and don't care about the NOOKcolor or its updates.

Contributor
TheJohnNewton
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

If you're feeling adventurous you can install a newer version of android yourself and then install Flash.  For info look at the site xda-developers.

Update: Well reading posts on the Nook Color board they seem to think the official update that will support Flash is coming out tomorrow so I'd say wait for tomorrow. :smileyhappy: 

New User
readmorebks
0 Kudos

How can I add Flash to my color nook?
Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

You probably can't since Adobe stopped supporting mobile flash more than a year ago.  If you search the boards though, there were some links around to places where it might work.

Do they make the Puffin browser for the Nook?  The paid version on the iPad has Flash.

Inspired Wordsmith
petesnook
0 Kudos

Yes, the paid version of Puffin works on my NC and HD+. In fact, it is my preferred browser mainly due to Flash availability and it is the fastest browser for me. I'm composing this response in Puffin on my HD+. 

It does have one annoying bug, though. If I have multiple tabs open and go from tab A to tab B, when I return to tab A the back arrow button is grayed-out and inoperative. This also occurs if I leave Dolphin and return to it.