Contributor
ami_yaz
0 Kudos

Re: Email keeps reloading inbox!

I have the Nook Tablet in which I was experiencing the issue mentioned in this thread and I had mistakenly not noticed that it was a Nook Color forum.  My apologies, but it seems like it is an email client error that we have in common.  I'm hoping that they develop a more perminent fix for us both!

mbratch wrote:

MrCoolidge wrote:

As written several times in these postings, the NT email client doesn't seem to be correctly remembering settings (e.g. delete e-mail from POP server account after download).  It also doesn't seem to correctly remember the time the POP server was last accessed, and continues to download all the email on the POP server rather than the messages present since the last update.  This erroneous download is triggered upon receipt of a new mail message.  A short term work around is to use a web based client to access to your POP account and delete all unread messages in your inbox; the NT cannot download the deleted messages.  

Interesting to hear that the problem also exists on the Nook Tablet (NT) (this being the Nook Color forum).

My email provider (Roadrunner) does not provide a small-screen friendly web interface, so it's a bit painful using it through the NookColor.

Wordsmith
mbratch
0 Kudos

Your note that it's also in NT could be helpful to them resolving. We'll see what happens! :smileyhappy:

Reader 4
reader664
0 Kudos

I want to keep this thread alive as my email continues to constantly reload. I have tried all the suggestions but none have worked. I don't want B&N to think this issue is resolved because the comments are not as active as when the update first came out. I am calmly waiting for a resolution but don't want to let the issue slip away.
Distinguished Correspondent
GetLostInABook
0 Kudos

Bump.

Every day my wife asks me if there is any news on this - I hope there is a resolution soon, it is affecting the harmony of my home.

And now back to reading on my N1E...

Contributor
Inquisitive30
0 Kudos

BN_AlexG wrote:

Hi All,

I'm unable to replicate the issue you all are having. However, to further investigate what is happening can you please PM me with the name of your email provider.

Thanks

- Alex

Hi Alex, thanks for looking into this!

Sorry, I couldn't find a link for sending you a PM. I clicked on your name and it took me to a profile, butr no PM button (?).

My setup:

pop3 server: pop-server.rochester.rr.com (Time Warner Road Runner)

port 110

Security type none (it requires a password of course, but doesn't use SSL).

Issues:

• My "delete email from server" setting is "Never". Even if I try to change it, it reverts to "Never". However, if I delete an email on my NC, it actually does delete off the server (even though this parameter continues to say "Never").
  • Suppose I have a bunch of emails on the server and I pull them down in the email client. In my case, the email client does a good job being in sync with what is actually active (not deleted) on the server. If I read an email, then click the "back" button to go back to the list, the email program clears the inbox and re-reads all of them again from the server marking all of them unread, even the one I just read. Even if I read all of them (using the up/down arrow whilst reading them) then go "back" to the list, it will initially show them all read, but then clear (automatically) and reload from server, marking all of them unread.

Is that a clear description?

Thanks

Mark

This is a common problem with Road Runner due to their email servers being in a Round Robin load sharing situation.  This will happen on my home system as well due to the statement leave a copy on server that I have checked on my Windows systems.  Sometimes one of the system you delete on has not yet synchronized with the other servers in the round robin causing duplicate copies to be sent.  I have found if you wait for all emails to download into the inbox before deleting any of them, and then delete them this will usually allow their email servers to sync up.  At least this works on my PC.  I would think the same principal would apply here.  I also uncheck the leave a copy on server periodically in order to clear the que on the server farm of backlogged emails.  It usually takes at least 20 minutes to get things to synch up right.

Wordsmith
mbratch
0 Kudos

This is a common problem with Road Runner due to their email servers being in a Round Robin load sharing situation.  This will happen on my home system as well due to the statement leave a copy on server that I have checked on my Windows systems.  Sometimes one of the system you delete on has not yet synchronized with the other servers in the round robin causing duplicate copies to be sent.  I have found if you wait for all emails to download into the inbox before deleting any of them, and then delete them this will usually allow their email servers to sync up.  At least this works on my PC.  I would think the same principal would apply here.  I also uncheck the leave a copy on server periodically in order to clear the que on the server farm of backlogged emails.  It usually takes at least 20 minutes to get things to synch up right.

That's an interesting explanation, but it is not the problem. My RR account works fine with any other email client, and it worked fine with the email client that was in version 1.3 NC firmware. It also works with the CM7 email client. It works with every email client I've ever tried except the one in version 1.4.1 NC firmware.

Wordsmith
daenas
0 Kudos

mbratch wrote:

That's an interesting explanation, but it is not the problem. My RR account works fine with any other email client, and it worked fine with the email client that was in version 1.3 NC firmware. It also works with the CM7 email client. It works with every email client I've ever tried except the one in version 1.4.1 NC firmware.

It's definately the 1.4.1 update that's doing it.  I have Yahoo, Hotmail, MSN, Gmail all on my NC and everyone of them reloads now, but never did it in the 1.3 OS version.

Inspired Contributor
Savoir_Faire
0 Kudos

I'm also on RoadRunner and had no problems before the new "update" and I have no intention of having the NC delete e-mails from the server, I want copies to make it to my computer ( this was never an issue before and shouldn't be now ).
"Savoir Faire is everywhere."
Frequent Contributor
joestravels

So is there a answer yet? Its a pain to be viewing my list of emails then have the list disapear and then reload emails that I just deleted. My web browser will also crash randomly while reading a article. New problems since the update.
Frequent Contributor
joestravels
0 Kudos

I agree with the post "if its not broke don't fix it! I cannot change my setting from "never" on the delete from server setting. I also hate the click the nook button for home idea. My button is no longer covered under warranty. Why doesn't nook ask its customers what they want in a update change?
Contributor
aColoradoMom
0 Kudos

Still a problem, Barnes & Noble.  What's taking so long????

Frequent Contributor
roxmysoxGA
0 Kudos

FWIW, I have my email set up to read both my Cox and Gmail accts. I notice if I check each account individually, I get the inbox reload bug.  If I set my email to combine both accounts into one inbox, I can read and delete messages and go back to my inbox with NO reloading. Maybe this will be of help to some of you.

Frequent Contributor
Luvmynookie
0 Kudos

I am also having the reload and not deleting problem, I use comcast email....

Contributor
PiscesMN
0 Kudos

Everything seemed to be ok lately but today the email inbox keep reloading and I was unable to read only a few.  I sent my Nook Color back to HSN today.  I've had it!!

Contributor
RavynWilde
0 Kudos

This is also happening to me. I use pop3 and have 2 msn accounts and 1 hotmail. I've deleated all and they reappear, and it keeps loading. There were no problems with this before I upgraded. Not seeing a fix that works...

Contributor
RavynWilde
0 Kudos

I did manually delete all the stuff stored in the trash, as it just kept piling up. It has stayed away. I have also used the recommendation of one of you below who said that for the short term if you leave the inbox in combined accounts that it will let you read your email and not reload.

This is working for me. As long as I keep in in combined accounts I can read a message and return to the list of messages without it continuing to try to reload and freezing. But if you check on specific account then go to combined accounts, I've found it will let you read the email on all but the one you checked initially. Then I power the nook off, go into email and into combined accounts and it will work on all.

Hopefully this gets fixed soon, it is a real pain!

Reader 2
MaxDM
0 Kudos

I'm having the same email issue with constant reloading of previously viewed emails as well as reloading deleted emails. Emptying the trash bin of the deleted emails doesn't work either as they just reappear there as well. I have verizon email. This problem only began after the upgrade to 1.4; email worked fine with 1.3 and 1.2. And I never had to set the option to delete from server for it to work previously. And choosing that option now doesn't work anyway for me as it keeps switching off anyway. Very frustrating and it's not as though there's another email app available from the bn apps store. Hope the email issue gets fixed soon.
Reader
Argghh
0 Kudos

This just started to happen to me a few days ago, even though it's been weeks since I loaded the new software (though I wasn't using it much due to the holidays, so the glitch could've been there for awhile). My main problem is with the constant reloading of the inbox. Sometimes I'd be in the middle of reading an e-mail and it would reload and take me back to the inbox page. Every time it reloads I have to wait 30 seconds or so before it's done and I can open another e-mail. Delete isn't as big a deal, but sometimes I have to delete the same e-mail several times before it sticks. I have sbcglobal.net - not sure if that matters. It was never a problem before. Please fix soon - e-mail is what I mainly use the NC for and this is getting irritating.

Distinguished Correspondent
GetLostInABook
0 Kudos

Inquisitive30 wrote:

BN_AlexG wrote:

Hi All,

I'm unable to replicate the issue you all are having. However, to further investigate what is happening can you please PM me with the name of your email provider.

Thanks

- Alex

Hi Alex, thanks for looking into this!

Sorry, I couldn't find a link for sending you a PM. I clicked on your name and it took me to a profile, butr no PM button (?).

My setup:

pop3 server: pop-server.rochester.rr.com (Time Warner Road Runner)

port 110

Security type none (it requires a password of course, but doesn't use SSL).

Issues:

• My "delete email from server" setting is "Never". Even if I try to change it, it reverts to "Never". However, if I delete an email on my NC, it actually does delete off the server (even though this parameter continues to say "Never").
  • Suppose I have a bunch of emails on the server and I pull them down in the email client. In my case, the email client does a good job being in sync with what is actually active (not deleted) on the server. If I read an email, then click the "back" button to go back to the list, the email program clears the inbox and re-reads all of them again from the server marking all of them unread, even the one I just read. Even if I read all of them (using the up/down arrow whilst reading them) then go "back" to the list, it will initially show them all read, but then clear (automatically) and reload from server, marking all of them unread.

Is that a clear description?

Thanks

Mark

I use the same settings - having the same problem.

Whatever the problem is, it started with 1.4

Inspired Scribe
geatdanemomDT
0 Kudos

I decided to check my Email since I have been seeing so much about this issue. Mine is not reloading and once I delete it is staying deleted. 

http://quiltinharmony.blogspot.com/
1 Nook 3G/Wi/Fi
Nook Color stock
Nook Color / N2A