BN_AlexG
Topics: 68
Kudos: 517
Solutions: 40
0 Kudos

Re: Email keeps reloading inbox!

Thank you mbratch,

I'll follow up with our devs and see what I can gather.

Again sorry for all the trouble with this.

- Alex

Click the Laurel leaf to say thank you for helpful posts. And be sure to come back to click the 'Accept as Solution' button for the post that solved your issue. This may help someone else.
Contributor
aColoradoMom
0 Kudos

I too have been having bizarre email issues since updating to v1.4 software.  When I delete an email, it goes into the "loading" mode and then the deleted email reappears in my inbox.  Emails that I've read also get "re-loaded" as unread.  The little envelope icon on the bottom left corner keeps popping up that I have new email, when in fact, it's just the deleted emails reloading.

I have PM'd Alex.  Hope B&N gets this resolved PRONTO!

Wordsmith
mbratch
0 Kudos

BN_AlexG wrote:

Thank you mbratch,

I'll follow up with our devs and see what I can gather.

Again sorry for all the trouble with this.

- Alex

No worries Alex. I appreciate you digging into it. I'm trying to be as clear as possible regarding settings and symptoms, so just let me know if any questions come up or if you need a guinea pig to try something. :smileywink: I'm an engineer and I know how elusive some of these apparently simple issues can be.

Wordsmith
melouria
0 Kudos

BN_AlexG wrote:

Hi All,

Please try adjusting your account settings using the below mentioned specifications. Fill in your ISP's info where applicable:

Incoming:
Username: abc@hotmail.com
Password: your password
POP server: pop3.live.com
Port: 995   
Security type: SSL (always)

Outgoing:
SMTP server: smtp.live.com
Port: 25 / 587   
Security type: TLS (always)
Username: abc@hotmail.com

Also of note, try checking off "delete emails from server" when completing your setup.

Let us all know if all is well afterwards.

Hope this helps!

- Alex

Thanks for the suggestion Alex, but it did not work for me.  Messages will not delete and all keep reloading.

Wordsmith
CraigAZ
0 Kudos

BN_AlexG wrote:

Hi All,

Also of note, try checking off "delete emails from server" when completing your setup.... 

- Alex

I see that the above suggestion isn't helping folks with the issue.

Note, however, that even if it did, this is something that many of us don't want to to. If reading emails from my nook color when travelling, I don't want to delete the emails from the email server since I want these messages to be available to be downloaded to my hard drive on the desktop PC at home when I return.

Contributor
jlsmina
0 Kudos

Hi, all I received an email from BN support. They are aware of the problem and are working on it and hope to fix soon but not sure when. I hope it's very soon! : )
Jelsa
Contributor
PiscesMN
0 Kudos

email keeps reloading after update

I received my Nook today and have some Android experience but am having a hard time figuring out what is happening with my email.  Keeps reloading, even disappearing and trying to keep my smartphone going alongside of it.  I use Comcast and am using the same settings but cannot get the "delete email from server" to stick...

Also, the loading messages sign seems to take forever.  Delete doesn't always mean delete and move to trash doesn't always move it.  If I sound confused I am as I have been going round and round for several hours.  I just got a message on the Nook and the smartphone...deleted the Nook one.  It remained in the inbox but also showed up in trash. Took the one in the inbox and moved it to trash so now 2 are there...

I would like to keep this but it's really too quirky and will return it to HSN if it isn't straightened out soon.

Inspired Scribe
geatdanemomDT
0 Kudos

Re: email keeps reloading after update

[ Edited ]

PiscesMN wrote:

I received my Nook today and have some Android experience but am having a hard time figuring out what is happening with my email.  Keeps reloading, even disappearing and trying to keep my smartphone going alongside of it.  I use Comcast and am using the same settings but cannot get the "delete email from server" to stick...

Also, the loading messages sign seems to take forever.  Delete doesn't always mean delete and move to trash doesn't always move it.  If I sound confused I am as I have been going round and round for several hours.  I just got a message on the Nook and the smartphone...deleted the Nook one.  It remained in the inbox but also showed up in trash. Took the one in the inbox and moved it to trash so now 2 are there...

I would like to keep this but it's really too quirky and will return it to HSN if it isn't straightened out soon.

BN_AlexG wrote:

Hi All,

Please try adjusting your account settings using the below mentioned specifications. Fill in your ISP's info where applicable:

Incoming:
Username: abc@hotmail.com
POP server: pop3.live.com
Port: 995   
Security type: SSL (always)

Outgoing:
SMTP server: smtp.live.com
Port: 25 / 587   
Security type: TLS (always)
Username: abc@hotmail.com

Also of note, try checking off "delete emails from server" when completing your setup.

Let us all know if all is well afterwards.

Hope this helps!

- Alex

aslo see this thread:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Color-Support/Email-keeps-reloading-inbox/m-p/1234670/me...

http://quiltinharmony.blogspot.com/
1 Nook 3G/Wi/Fi
Nook Color stock
Nook Color / N2A

Contributor
PiscesMN
0 Kudos

Re: email keeps reloading after update

The only one that took was changing the port to 995. The other port is 587. One certain way of getting rid of an email is to delete it on my phone. But that is not consistent either. Some keep showing up in the inbox. I downloaded webmd android this morning and my phone had the install symbol on tne top even tho that piece was previously installed on my phone. I now have two inboxes to deal with and i am spending way too much time cleaning out and fighting with the Nook inbox. It is slow, too.
Contributor
PiscesMN
0 Kudos

Still having some duplicates showing up.  Message was in inbox, moved to trash and then showed up again in inbox.  I think if I could change the setting re the server my problem would be solved but that is unavailable to me.  (Delete from inbox)

PiscesMN

Contributor
PiscesMN
0 Kudos

i mean "delete from server".

Wordsmith
mbratch
0 Kudos

PiscesMN wrote:

I think if I could change the setting re the server my problem would be solved but that is unavailable to me.  (Delete from inbox)

Did you check under Settings > Server settings > Inoming settings? There should be an item called "Delete email from server". If you touch it, it gives you a drop down with two choices, "Never" and "When I delete from Inbox". Are you using a POP server?

Contributor
PiscesMN
0 Kudos

I have tried that and it doesn't stick. Just for the heck of it I checked my Android phone and it has a box saying never delete from server and one that deletes from server when celeted manually from the inbox. I changed never to two months and it went back. Maybe a Comcast thing? At least I am no longer getting deleted messages showing up multiple times.
Wordsmith
mbratch
0 Kudos

PiscesMN wrote:
I have tried that and it doesn't stick. Just for the heck of it I checked my Android phone and it has a box saying never delete from server and one that deletes from server when celeted manually from the inbox. I changed never to two months and it went back. Maybe a Comcast thing? At least I am no longer getting deleted messages showing up multiple times.

Yes, it's odd. Mine doesn't "stick" either. It alway says "Never". But oddly, it does delete from the server when I delete locally nonetheless. Very strange. I don't think it's a comcast isue. This used to work in version 1.3 of the NC firmware.

Contributor
cmankat

Resetting and the necessary work is BS and a cop out. Please let us know what is causing it before we go to all of this work. I also think it's a canned response to keep us off of their backs.

cm

Contributor
cmankat
0 Kudos

Same problem. My provider is Cox.

Contributor
ami_yaz
0 Kudos

I was having the same issue described in this thread when linking my Hotmail account and I'm so pleased to report that this fix worked to resolve the problem.  I had been trying to simply change the "Delete Email from Server" area to "When I delete from Inbox" and this was timing out, but I had my security type set to None.  When I updated the security type, it allowed for the deleting from server setting to go through.  That being said, when I looked into the settings afterwards, it seems to be back to the original settings, however it is deleting as I had hoped and does not constantly reload.

Wordsmith
mbratch
0 Kudos

ami_yaz wrote:

I was having the same issue described in this thread when linking my Hotmail account and I'm so pleased to report that this fix worked to resolve the problem.  I had been trying to simply change the "Delete Email from Server" area to "When I delete from Inbox" and this was timing out, but I had my security type set to None.  When I updated the security type, it allowed for the deleting from server setting to go through.  That being said, when I looked into the settings afterwards, it seems to be back to the original settings, however it is deleting as I had hoped and does not constantly reload.

Glad to hear it is fixed for you. :smileyhappy: My SMTP server (roadrunner) won't accept any other security settings (the connection check fails) so that trick doesn't work for me. I am not having any trouble getting it to delete emails from the server (although the settinng always says "never" no matter what I try to set it to, oddly). But it does constantly reload every time I just read messages then return to the inbox list.

New User
MrCoolidge
0 Kudos

As written several times in these postings, the NT email client doesn't seem to be correctly remembering settings (e.g. delete e-mail from POP server account after download).  It also doesn't seem to correctly remember the time the POP server was last accessed, and continues to download all the email on the POP server rather than the messages present since the last update.  This erroneous download is triggered upon receipt of a new mail message.  A short term work around is to use a web based client to access to your POP account and delete all unread messages in your inbox; the NT cannot download the deleted messages.  

Wordsmith
mbratch
0 Kudos

MrCoolidge wrote:

As written several times in these postings, the NT email client doesn't seem to be correctly remembering settings (e.g. delete e-mail from POP server account after download).  It also doesn't seem to correctly remember the time the POP server was last accessed, and continues to download all the email on the POP server rather than the messages present since the last update.  This erroneous download is triggered upon receipt of a new mail message.  A short term work around is to use a web based client to access to your POP account and delete all unread messages in your inbox; the NT cannot download the deleted messages.  

Interesting to hear that the problem also exists on the Nook Tablet (NT) (this being the Nook Color forum).

My email provider (Roadrunner) does not provide a small-screen friendly web interface, so it's a bit painful using it through the NookColor.