New User
saraaajoy
0 Kudos

Re: Error dialog: user not activated

I am a mac user and when i go into my nook, I do not have two folders with adobe information in it.  Can anyone help me?  This is really frustrating. Thanks!

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

saraaajoy wrote:

I am a mac user and when i go into my nook, I do not have two folders with adobe information in it.  Can anyone help me?  This is really frustrating. Thanks!

The .adobe folder is a hidden folder.  If you search the boards someone has posted how  to see or find hidden folders on a Mac.  I'm assuming you can see the digital editions folder.

Correspondent
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

Android appears to follow the UNIX/Linux convention that a file/directory whose name begins with a . (period) is a hidden file.

Presuming the current Macintosh OS is a similar system, and has a command line shell available, "ls -a" is the most common command that shows all files, including hidden ones ("LiSt -All")

The problem is, of course, that the Macintosh has never really promoted the use of a command line shell <G> (In fairness, M$ Windows has been deprecating that for years too, except for corporate system admins -- and for that, the new kid on the block is not the MS-DOS shell, but a C#-related "PowerShell")

Baron Wulfraed
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

You can download and run a program called Houdini that can open hidden folders etc.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/houdini/id492081694?mt=12

It's free.

New User
Maritxu
0 Kudos

I tried the suggestions here and they didn't work and ADE didn't automatically re-activate my account.  The problem was solve through B&N chat support.  I'm including the transcript in case someone else might find it useful.

Maritxu: I am getting a "user not activated" message when I try to read library books. I followed these troubleshooting steps (twice) from the B&N board:

- Delete the digital editions folder on the Nook

- Eject and disconnect your Nook from your Mac

- Start ADE on your Mac.

- Connect the Nook to your Mac again.

It hasn't worked. I also uninstalled and re-installed ADE, but that didn't work either.

Savana Murray: I suggest that you un-register and re-register the NOOK device. Let me provide you with the procedure.

After reviewing the issue, I feel this problem can be solved by simply Unregistering, and the Re-registering your device.  Please follow these steps to unregister and Re-register your NOOK:

1.  With your NOOK powered on, wake it up from sleep mode by pressing the “Power" button.  
2.  Tap the “Home" button to go to the Home Menu.  
3.  Swipe the Home Menu until you see the “Settings” icon, and tap it.  
4.  Tap “Device”.  
5.  Tap “Unregister your NOOK”.  
6.  Tap “Confirm” to continue.

To Register Again:

1.  Tap “Device”.  
2.  Tap “Register your NOOK”.  
3.  Enter the E-mail Address, and Password associated with your Barnes & Noble.com account and tap “Submit”.      
4.  Once registration is complete, tap “OK” to continue.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Maritxu, deregistering and registering achieves the same thing i.e.

resets the Adobe Folders.

My recommendation for Nook owners getting ADE issues would be to FIRST try the method users have shared (i.e. manually delete the two ADE folders, etc.) and only then go to the hassle of deregistering and then registering.

There have been quite a few users who mentioned that the deleting Adobe folders method worked for them.

New User
se49
0 Kudos

This worked for me.
Reader 4
BethyS
0 Kudos

I had to go into Nook Settings and Erase & DeRegister Device. Then when I plugged it into my computer and opened ADE, it authorized it and works.

This is the 2nd time in 2 months I have had to go through these steps.  Very frustrating and almost makes me want to go back to regular books.  Still on 1.2 software version...hoping it doesn't update!

Using:  Nook Simple Touch / Mac

Inspired Contributor
poleng
0 Kudos

1)  Plug your NOOK into your computer.  Navigate to the NOOK drive and delete the folders '.adobe-digital-editions' and 'Digital Editions'. 

2)  Start Digital Editions with the NOOK still plugged in.  
Adobe Digital Editions launches and detects the eBook device. The 'Device Setup Assistant' dialog box is displayed.

3)  Click 'Authorize Device'.
  Adobe Digital Editions activates the eBook device. You can now transfer DRM-protected Adobe eBooks to the device.

4)  Note that both Adobe Digital Editions and the eBook device must be activated with the same Adobe ID to transfer DRM-protected Adobe eBooks to the device.

5)  You should get a "nook" entry in Adobe Digital Editions' left column.  Drag e-books from your Digital Editions library (right column) to the "nook" entry in the left column.

New User
RobbyBlue
0 Kudos

Dear Tazzer,

Thank you so much for posting this information.  I was just to the point where I was ready to toss my Nook into the garbage bin when I found the solution you posted.  It worked for me!  B&N online support was useless, as I was first connected to someone in Asia whose written English was so bad I couldn't understand what he/she was telling me.  Finally I understood that I'd have to call back in two hours for someone to respond to my specific question.  When I said that wasn't okay, he/she said I could get phone help immediately if I called a number he'd give me.  I called the number which was answered by a recording that told me I'd have to wait three hours until it was 6:00 A.M. Pacific Time.  Now totally ticked off, I went online and tried to find the solution I was seeking.  No luck.  Finally, this evening, I Googled "Nook error dialog user not activated" and that led me to your post.  Much thanks to you.  Boo, boo, boo to Barnes and Noble.  If they're going to plague us with software updates that have glitches in them, then they could at least advertise the fix online or by e-mail.  When they want to sell us something, they sure seem to know how to use our e-mail address.  When there's a serious problem with Nook software . . . not so much.  Guess it with be Kindle next time around, although I'm now totally cynical about all big business.

Reader
SilverStorm
0 Kudos

Deleting the two folders worked for me, but you would think after a year they would have built a fix into one of the softwares for this problem. *sigh* I'm not looking forward to doing this every time my nook updates.

New User
KempsConsulting
0 Kudos

Thanks so much! This is the only thing that helped!

Reader
Peppercat53
0 Kudos

Thank you this worked perfectly for me!

New User
SheilaAnne2
0 Kudos

This worked in the same way for me on my Nook Simple Touch

Reader
OnlineStuff

Thanks for all the information! 

I kept repeating all the steps, but ADE wasn't prompting me to reauthorize and my Nook kept giving me the error message.  Then, thanks to this message board, I realized that I was only deleting ONE digital editions folder, and there were TWO on my Nook.  Deleted both, followed the steps, and it worked!

New User
cmindiana
0 Kudos

Best advice for fixing problem.  Finally I can read my first library book.  Thank you so much.

New User
neatsie
0 Kudos

I tried everything listed here including reinstalling ADE.  I ultimately needed to erase & deregister my device and that worked.   To do that go to Nook Setting/Device Info/Erase & Deregister Device and follow prompts.  You will need your B&N login info and password and your Wifi password.   All my B&N books were still on the device, you may just need to re-download (although I didn't have to).   In any case, once I went back into ADE and copied the book I was able to read it.

Hope this helps those of you who are still having trouble (and save you wasted time on the phone).

Reader 4
TracyL

[ Edited ]

Deleting the Digital Editions folders from my Nook and then re-authorizing it fixed the problem. Thanks for posting.

New User
SBird27
0 Kudos

Thank you! I tried everything else that everyone suggested (I use a Mac), but nothing worked until I went through re-registering my Nook. Now it works just fine. I really appreciate your information!
New User
ChristinaMR65
0 Kudos

B & N updated software on my Nook this week and then I encountered this error problem - your steps worked perfectly - after many failed attempts to figure it out myself. Thanks!