Contributor
Mr_Weatherbee
0 Kudos

Failing USB charging cable

About 6 months into owning my NOOK color the original charging cable is failing, with the cable jacket separating from the connector. Now that joint is super loosy-goosey, I can see the insulation exposed, and I'm just waiting for it to break at which point I will have to cough up the dough for a new proprietary charging cable. Does anyone else have experience with the cable breaking, and is this covered under the device warranty? Sure feels like it should be.

Contributor
Section8
0 Kudos

Re: Failing USB charging cable

Mine stopped charging after about a month and I took to the nearest B&N and they replaced it, no questions asked.  I also just bought, a cheap, standard microUSB cable (about $6 I think) and use that most of the time to charge it, if I'm not in a hurry.  It will recharge the NC, just not as fast as the proprietary cable.  It is also much easier to plug into the NC.

Contributor
nonuthin
0 Kudos

Got mine in April and it's now taking 5 (or so) minutes to get a working charge started. Need to connect and disconnect numerous times before charging initiates. Afraid to leave it alone and charging after reading all the horror stories.........
Distinguished Correspondent
AikiPen
0 Kudos

Got my NC in the first round last year. My charging cable didn't actually split. When I was on vaction in July I could no longer get my NC to charge. I would plug it in but instead of the 'charging' message it would display 'not charging'. There isn't a B&N near us when we are on vacation. I turned my NC off and brought it home took it into my local store and they tried their cable, decided my cord was defective and gave me a new one. Still working great. Good luck.

Frequent Contributor
d_meister
0 Kudos

My cable has been going bad for a while. I called tech support yesterday. They needed the serial number and verified who I am, and they're shipping a new one out.

Contributor
nonuthin
0 Kudos

Hey, Meister -got that phone number handy? Thanks in advance!
Contributor
aColoradoMom
0 Kudos

1-800-THE-BOOK

I just got off the phone with them to have my new cable sent as mine (3 months old) no longer connects to charge the NC nor does it connect well enough when plugged into my laptop teo be recognized by my laptop.

Hope this fixes it.  And fast....my NC is about dead...    :smileysad:

Frequent Contributor
d_meister
0 Kudos

Nonunthin; the number aColoradoMom gave is it (1 800 843 2665). I have been putting my Nook near the computer or charger in such a way that the cable won't get disturbed, and placing it so that the computer recognizes it or that I can see the charge icon is going. You have to be careful with the computer connection, though. I had my SD card corrupted from a disconnect and the NC would start and shut down repeatedly. I finally took the card out and reformatted it on my computer to solve the problem.