Contributor
ezray

Finally!! USB Device not recognized...resolved!

I finally figured out why I kept getting "Device not recognized" when I plugged in the NC USB to any of my computers...thanks to onecoolbarbieTURN OFF WIFI!  I have read and reread the users manual, called custormer service (a new USB cable is on the way), searched these boards, searched many other boards, and finally discovered the answer when onecoolbarbie mentioned this fact at the end of her post. As soon as I turned off the NC WiFi it worked.  And now I will have an extra USB cable for when I lose lose the first....Thanks barbie!!

Inspired Contributor
withfeeling

Re: Finally!! USB Device not recognized...resolved!

I'm really glad you got it working, however, at another time, try it with the WiFi on. My USB sure works with WiFi on, yours should too.

Wordsmith
mbratch
0 Kudos

Mine works fine with the wifi on.

Contributor
ezray
0 Kudos

@withfeeling

Tried again with Wifi on...still doesn't work.  Maybe the new USB cable will work correctly. 

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

Mine works as well with it off or on.  You are waking up the NOOKcolor in the first place, right?  Not trying to question your intelligence, but just making sure.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Distinguished Correspondent
Hermes737
0 Kudos

deemure wrote:

Mine works as well with it off or on.  You are waking up the NOOKcolor in the first place, right?  Not trying to question your intelligence, but just making sure.

Deemure's got some good advice there. You MUST "unlock" the NC while plugged in via USB ( and after the PC has installed the necessary USB Mass Store Device drive), your cable should be lit up and the NC screen should show the "USB Mode" graphic and the NC should be largely unresponsive (while you access the file system from the PC).

CURRENTLY READING - Heretics of Dune by Frank Herbert
Contributor
ezray
0 Kudos

Thanks for double checking, but yes, I have been doing it correctly...nc is awake. With wifi turned on, the moment I plug in the USB, I get the USB device not recognized alert. As soon as I turn off wifi it works....no idea why.
Contributor
onecoolbarbie

Hi, this is onecoolbarbie.

Thanks for the post and I would like to say that with so many different computers out there someone must have one like mine. I am very glad it worked for you.

Don't you just love your NOOKcolor? I do.

Thank you.

New User
karismama
0 Kudos

thank you SO much...for whatever reason my computer stopped recognizing my NC, I just turned off the wifi and tada! there it was. Granted it only recognized it for about 45 seconds, that was enough time for me to transfer the 2 books from ADE that were MUST HAVES!

I will be calling to get a new USB as I know that is the problem (it is also being a pain trying to charge as well) but this did work for me, if only briefly!

So thanks again!

Inspired Wordsmith
sandie52
0 Kudos

If you know someone or have one yourself - I just use the USB cable for my cell phone about half the time to connect to my PC and never have any issues. That would at least eliminate the cable part of the equation.

Contributor
Ross_H

I normally just remove my SD card (with the NC switched off) and plug that directly into the computer to sideload files.

New User
theotherBarbie
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Whether the WiFi is on or off, mine does not work. It doesn't recognize it now even though it did the very first time I attached it to the computer. This really is *bleep*.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

theotherBarbie wrote:
Whether the WiFi is on or off, mine does not work. It doesn't recognize it now even though it did the very first time I attached it to the computer. This really is *bleep*.

WiFi has nothing to do with your computer recognizing the Nook if it is attached using the USB cable.  Try using a different USB port, if you have a different cable, such as from your cell phone, try using that cable to determine if it is the cable.  If not, try powering down both the computer and your Nook.  Then power on the computer, the Nook and re connect it.

What operating system are you using on your computer?  When it connected the first time, did you properly eject it from the computer or did you just unplug it?  If you don't use the eject function, you can have issues with it being recognized the next time you plug it in.

I have or had all 3 Nooks and never have had any issues with any computer recognizing any of them.

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

Language Patrol Higher Priority for BN than selling us content we can't read?

[ Edited ]
Re:  Finally!!  USB Device not recognized - resolved![ Edited ] yesterday
Administrator

theotherBarbie wrote:

I think it's too bad that BN puts higher priority on changing language in folks' posts than on allowing someone to take a few minutes to explain why paid, high-profile subscriptions are sold to customers with NCs even though they cannot read the content. 

Here, I'm specifically referring to the subscription situation with the New Yorker.  It simply shouldn't be sold to customers who only own NCs, and yet it is.  This has come up in the community manager forum recently, and no policy explanation came up - all Alex could do was ask that the particular subscriber message him privately, presumably so he could get the charge reversed but he wasn't even permitted to explain what was going on. 

Is that something we write to BN about?  Something we write the publisher about?  An oversight that BN is working to fix? 

I would have thought that seeing that addressed -- seeing as it involves customers being billed for material they can't read, and staff time to reverse the charges -- would be a higher priority for BN than nannying the language choices.

I feel badly for our community managers that it is not. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
New User
RicksNook
0 Kudos

Should connect with or without wifi.

"The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?" - Jeremiah 17:9"  God. 

New User
Lunatiri

first, if other people dont have the issue.  SHUSH...second, thank you SOOOO MUCH... I had the exact same problem, I tried it on two different computers and it said it didn't have the proper driver.  As soon as I turned the wifi off it worked like a charm.  you've saved me from a great deal of aggrivation. =)  thank you, and thank the Barbie person

Reader
freebookaddict
0 Kudos

I'm having that issue with or without WiFi, compounded by "Activity Reader (in application Reader) is not responding."

I'm going to try calling Barnes and Noble *sigh* after my kids get to school.

Contributor
nookhatercb
0 Kudos

The reply to Deemure might be useful if I understood it.  The only reference to "locking" on my NC refers to screen rotation which is clearly nothing to do with the problem I, and apparfently many others, have in connecting this piece of crap to my computer, which it does about one in 10 times.

The reply then goes on to waffle about a mass storage device drive without any attempt to identify it

If you want to help, be very specific, think logically, assume that the reader has no knowledge and write lucidly - Oh if only the world could do these things, it would be a much better place

Contributor
nookhatercb
0 Kudos

You must be crazy - the NC has so many terrible design features and is so unreliable that it is little short of a swindle. Worse thing I ever bought
Contributor
nookhatercb
0 Kudos

what is an SD card and where do I find it?