New User
sgeniek

Fixed "Connected but no Internet Problem" !!

F I X E D " C O N N E C T E D , B U T   N O    I N T E R N E T "

This is what I discovered yesterday after all day research...ven had the wife ride down to BN to get on their wi-fi to register:

We have a high speed router, default setting is for 802.11b/g/n...up to 300Mbps. The thing that fixed it wasn't the type of encryption, ie, WPA, WEP, etc, but changing the speed of the wireless on the router to 802.11b/g only at 54Mbps.

Symptoms were the Nook color would connect, then say "testing, then pop up with "connected but no internet". When I changed the router setting to b/g only at 54MBPS this went away, and it connects with internet all the time. No noticable wireless network performance loss either.

Wordsmith
mbratch
0 Kudos

Re: Fixed "Connected but no Internet Problem" !!

Always great to see someone post a solution once they find their issue!

Seems perhaps the Nook built-in wireless adaptor doesn't know how to "negotiate down" in the face of an 802.11n capable router (?).

Inspired Contributor
withfeeling
0 Kudos

This may be an Android issue and not just B&N. I have seen this same "fix" made for other Android tablets.

Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
0 Kudos

mbratch wrote:

Always great to see someone post a solution once they find their issue!

Seems perhaps the Nook built-in wireless adaptor doesn't know how to "negotiate down" in the face of an 802.11n capable router (?).

Actually, the specs say it is b/g/n compatible.   perhaps that's what might be fixed in 1.0.1 update?

---------
Don
New User
Talnz
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I have a netgear WNR2000 n capable router, and going into the advanced wireless settings and changing it to "Up to 54Mbps" fixed this issue for me as well.  I had spotty connection to internet, books stuck loading, etc.  Now they download in seconds.  It sucks I have to "dumb" my router down to do this, but hopefully this is fixed in the android 2.2 update.  Anyone know if it is?  This is my first experience with an android device.

I've also applied the 1.0.1 update PRIOR to making the above changes, thinking that it fixed the issues I was having, but it didn't.

Reader 4
dbnmv
0 Kudos

Thank you for posting this. I have had my Nookcolor for 3 weeks and had constant problems staying connected to my home network. When I would check status it would say testing and then get the "connected but no internet." I would "forget" the network, turn off wifi, turn back on, log back in to my network and it would stay connected for a few minutes and go back to testing, no internet. I have a D-Link DIR-655 using WPA/WPA2 PSK. I only changed the transmission rate setting from "best" (default) to 54Mbps and Nookcolor has stayed connected all day without dropping the connection. When I check status in my router, it shows my Nookcolor connected in "N" mode, so in my case only changing the transmission rate seems to have fixed the problem.

New User
sgeniek
0 Kudos

When you limit network transmission rates to 54 mbps you are limiting it to g mode...n mode has a transmission rate of 108mbps.

Yes they advertise b/g/n compatable.. Obviously they need to tweak the wireless driver to take advantage of the 802.11n spec.

They have a lot of issues on their plate.

Contributor
anieb
0 Kudos

I have a Netgear N300 WNR3500L and have setting of "up to 300" on it. Works fine as far as connectivity goes, but the keyboard is way too sensitive, so it's slow going typing on this, especially when the cursor has disappeared, which it often does and I have to guess where to insert a character...
Contributor
anieb
0 Kudos

I should add that I can't input characters in Rich Text mode but must go to HTML mode to type this note.

CONNECTIVITY: I have a Nook case with big clamp on the left and used to get dropped connections. When I removed the Nook from the cover, my connection would come right back. So now I web without the cover. And no more dropped connections. I think the pressure on the left bezel wasn't ideal for it.

Reader 2
Audrey_H
0 Kudos

Thanks for posting this fix.  I think this fixed my connectivty issues at home as well.

Wordsmith
mbratch
0 Kudos

anieb wrote:
I should add that I can't input characters in Rich Text mode but must go to HTML mode to type this note.

CONNECTIVITY: I have a Nook case with big clamp on the left and used to get dropped connections. When I removed the Nook from the cover, my connection would come right back. So now I web without the cover. And no more dropped connections. I think the pressure on the left bezel wasn't ideal for it.

That's a little unnerving. That tells me there's a potential issue on the circuit board and some pressure from the outside affects it. I use a BN cover for my NC that has a "clamp" (if you want to call it that) on the left center. It connects fine. So maybe, given the variety of complaints about intermittent network access, that there are some NC's that have PCB issues (?).

New User
DawnsNook0432
0 Kudos

I had to disable the wireless security on the router, would not work with WEP or WPA, still have not gotten it to work and I am not fond of leaving my network open. Connection to nook is fine if security is left disabled

Reader 2
larrynook
0 Kudos

I too am having this same problem. A Netgear router and all. Will changing the speed change the speed all the other stuff on the net works? two iMacs, two MacBook Pros, and two iPhones.

--Larry

Reader
Hemangi
0 Kudos

Distinguished Correspondent
DaveAvl
0 Kudos

My router is a Belkin F5D8236-4 V3, and my main computer connects to it at 300Mbps wireless.  No problem with my NC connecting at whatever speed it does.  WPA2 security is enabled.

Inspired Correspondent
MattFL

The N standard runs on 2 frequencies. 5Ghz (which is where you get your 300 Mbps and higher speeds) and 2.4Ghz (which limits you to somewhere around 75 - 100Mbps max).

My Linksys has 2 separate wifi networks, 1 at 2.4Ghz and one at 5Ghz.

I have a feeling that the Netgear is only running at 5Ghz for N, and the Nook can't handle it. But neither can my MacBook Pro, my MacBook Air, or my Gateway laptop so I can't really complain about the Nook not being able to do it.

New User
AS400Jockey

"Connected but no Internet" Problem - disable static routes in DHCP

My home network is a 'commercial grade' network - with Server 2008, Exchange, etc etc.  I'm a computer geek.  I was disappointed when the Nook wouldn't connect.

This message will be of interest to companies trying to get Nook connected thru their complex network.  For home users, this message will be confusing.

I am running DHCP from my Windows Server 2008 machine.  The Nook was getting an IP address OK, and I could PING it, but it couldn't get out to the web.

I had DHCP options set for 003 Router, 006 DNS Server, 015 Domain Name, 044 WINS/NBNS server and 046 WINS/NBT node type.  But what was killing the NOOK was 121 - classless static routes.  My home network is 192.168.0.x and my other office net (connected by a vpn) is 192.168.14.x .  This static route was confusing Nook.

Once I created a reservation in DHCP and disabled the static route, everything worked fine.

New User
britard
0 Kudos

I have the identicle router (NetGear WNR2000). I logged into the router and updated my settings to "up to 54mbps" as suggested. I'm not sure what effect if any this new setting will have on the other devices that use the same router like my laptops and desktop computers. I am happy to report: that solution worked however for my nook! I had two very frustrating hours until stumbling onto this forum. Thank you very much for posting your results.

New User
cr250r1
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Seems it has fixed my problem also. 

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Thanks for posting the solution OP.

For my router - switching to N band causes Color and Tablet to stop working.

So it seems only b and g bands are supported and not n band.

You can usually go to your router settings by typing something like 192.168.1.1 into a browser window.

Please changes settings very carefully. However, over there are options to change what speed is. For me changing to highest speeds gives a warning:

This will make devices that use anything other than n band incompatible.

I thought Color and Tablet supported N. But apparently not. It even breaks one of my PC's wireless connection.