Contributor
brucet
0 Kudos

Flat battery AGAIN! Nooks are LEMONS

I had on going battery issues with my Nook. (See battery is flat flat). BnN replaced my Nook a week ago. It has been working just fine. But yesterday the battery went flat. I fully charged it and read for about 30-40 minutes. Overnight the battery has run completly flat. Nothing is on. No sound no wifi. Apps are off.

I have had a charger all but melt. BnN replaced it. My new charger gets so hot it's a worry to handle.

BnN have produced a lemon. I would never buy a Nook.

They are junk.

Contributor
LisaK-BookLover27
0 Kudos

Re: Flat battery AGAIN! Nooks are LEMONS

[ Edited ]

It's really unfortunate that you have had two bad Nooks. I wouldn't say that all are lemons though. I had a Nook Color for a year before I bought a Tablet to replace it. My sister has my Color now. I haven't had issues with either. 

I will say that the adaptors and charging cords need to be made better. However, that isn't the Nook devices. FYI- did they replace your power adapter too when they replaced your cord? It sounds like that needs to be replaced. Getting over heated isn't the Nook or the USB cord; it's the adapter. 

As for your battery a couple of things might be happening. 

1) You have a bad Nook. Get it replaced. (I know this is unfortunate, but better for you to have something that works, than doesn't). 

2) One of your apps is running and draining your battery. Here's a question, do you have your email app set up? If so, what refresher setting do you have it on? If it is refreshing your email every few minutes or so, that can be draining the battery. Test your Nook by turning off the wi-fi over night. 

What apps do you have installed? Maybe I can figure out if you have one that is draining the battery. 

I'm sorry you are having so much trouble. 

Contributor
LisaK-BookLover27
0 Kudos

Also, do you have the latest software on your new nook? (1.4.2)

Not having that can cause issues. 

Contributor
brucet
0 Kudos

Thanks.

I have 1.4.2. Had it on the first Nook as well.

WiFi is alway off. I never use it. Sound is always off.

I have only installed two apps.

"Your App Manager" and "Office Suite Professional".

The charger / adaptor itself gets very very hot. The first one did to.

They have posted me yet another one!

The new Nook worked just fine for a week. Then is suddenly began to discharge the battery for no reason. I'm a light user of the Nook. I read for maybe 30 minutes and put it down. May then pick it up later in the day. Then read again for 30 minutes. In the morning the battery will be back down to 17-20%.

I'm a photographer and have a 50 photo portfolio on the Nook. I use it to show clients my work. It's excellent for that type of use. But not if the battery goes flat in just an hour. At events I need the Nook for 7-8 hours.

Inspired Scribe
orb9220
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Sorry for your plight as am also a photographer and use the Nook Color.

I have had 2 also and both zero problems. Both chargers normal warm to the touch. Tho I choose to just plug in computer and let charge overnight 8-10 hrs depending on percentage left.

I wouldn't tolerate a Hot AC adapter as a fire risk. And would pester them for another replacement.

And agree with this could be dealt with in-store. As that is one of their selling points. If they do everything else help with nook then deal with all aspects of the nook there!

Let the stores deal with the lousy and inconsistent service of CS and see how they would fare in patience and tolerance.

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/
Contributor
LisaK27
0 Kudos

I agree. Get the new adpater and cord and see if that makes a difference. If your adapter is getting hot, don't use it. It can be a fire hazard, and my not be charging your Nook properly. Give your new adapter a few days to see if it makes a difference. If it doesn't, bring it into a store and ask for a new one. 

Read Forever
New User
Tibburon26
0 Kudos

You could also try using the car adapter.  A random thought....you could charge a cell phone through the same outlet you used for your nook and see if that also heats up. Not sure about this idea but anything's worth a try at least once