Correspondent
Jazola
0 Kudos

Formats Supported

:smileyvery-happy:

I have just learned that at least one of my professional journals will be going digital with the February issue (published every other month and just got word the December issue will be the last paper one issued).

Currently, it is available in PDF on the website, so I am hoping it will be PDF in February.  But, I cannot seem to locate this information in my haste today.  Can anyone help with this information.

What formats does Nook Color support.

TIA,

Zola  :smileyvery-happy:

New User
Jinx687
0 Kudos

Re: Formats Supported

I also have the same question..  please help us figure it out.  Tho I love barnes and noble, I do not agree with all the ereader prices.  Found one book I bought 5 yrs ago for a dollar less than the ebook price.  You would think with older books, and electronic form, it would be less expensive.  Kobo.com had SOME books and I was curious on how to find what format the Nook Color supports.

Inspired Contributor
gkaiseil

The formats supported by

1st Generation Nook:

• EUB (including Non or Adobe DRM)
  • PDB
  • PDF
  • Graphics: JPG, GIF, PNG, BMP
  • Audio: MP3

Nook Color:

• EPUB (including Non or Adobe DRM)
  • PDF
  • Other documents: XLS, DOC, PPT, PPS, TXT, DOCM, XLSM, PPTM, PPSX, PPSM, DOCX, XLX, PPTX
  • Graphics: JPG, GIF, PNG, BMP
  • Audio: MP3, MP4, AAC
  • Video: MP4

Nook:

• ePub
  • PDF
  • Graphic: JPG, GIF, PNG, BMP

New User
Jinx687
0 Kudos

I tried an adobe site and it said my nook color wasn't supported, is there a special one to go to?  Thank you for the help tho!! It definatly will make things easier in the future!!

Inspired Contributor
gkaiseil

[ Edited ]

What Adobe considers 'supported' maybe far different than what B&N considers supported.

Having worked with PDF's for over 10 years, there are a lot of features within the PDF that are designed to work with full computers and not tablets or eReaders. The only PDA for which Adobe has provided a PDF Reader is the Palm Treo. Also Adobe may not want to take responsibility for certifying eReaders after their long years of providing a public document standard and seeing how many developers so poorly implement it. Adobe has now released the control of the PDF format to the ISO and there is a true ISO standard for the PDF format. Adobe does provide documentation and tools to create the ePub format documents but does not want to control the market beyond developing the format and tools. Adobe also has a Digital Editions program that can read ePub documents. Adobe may also not what to track the availability of every device and program that process an ePub document. Adobe makes the software and content server software to eBooks.

Adobe has posted Adobe and Barnes & Noble Join Forces to Standardize eBook Technology and Digital Editions Supported Devices, which list the Nook Color, but not the newest Nook or the now named Nook 1st Edition.

Wordsmith
KingAl
0 Kudos

Jinx687 wrote:

I also have the same question..  please help us figure it out.  Tho I love barnes and noble, I do not agree with all the ereader prices.  Found one book I bought 5 yrs ago for a dollar less than the ebook price.  You would think with older books, and electronic form, it would be less expensive.  Kobo.com had SOME books and I was curious on how to find what format the Nook Color supports.

The prices for any ebooks from the 6 largest publishers are set by the publishers, and the retailer (e.g. B&N, Amazon, Sony, etc.) CANNOT discount them, though they can and do discount paper books, which is why paper books are sometimes cheaper than the ebooks.

ekw
Contributor
ekw
0 Kudos

It is because of the difference in formats that I cannot set aside my oroginal nook, though I prefer my nookColor. I have over 2000 books in the pdb (ereader, now fictionwise owned by b&n). It lessens my loyalty to b&n that they have not given the nook color the ability to access a format which they own. It works fine on my original nook. Please consider adding it to 1.3, and you will greatly increase my inclination not to start moving to a true tablet, where I can download a Stanza app for my pdb books.
Distinguished Wordsmith
MaluhiaKana
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

KingAl wrote:

The prices for any ebooks from the 6 largest publishers are set by the publishers, and the retailer (e.g. B&N, Amazon, Sony, etc.) CANNOT discount them, though they can and do discount paper books, which is why paper books are sometimes cheaper than the ebooks.

Sad, but true. The publishing industry is going down the same moronic road as the music industry did, cutting off the nose to spite the face. When enough people find ways around the system, perhaps publishers will wake up and the price of ebooks will drop just like music has.