Frequent Contributor
cmpetronelli
0 Kudos

Help 32 meg micro card

My color nook in noforcation say it is eather a bad card or needs to be formated please somone please tell what to do thank you carol:smileysurprised:

Contributor
nookNoobie
0 Kudos

Re: Help 32 meg micro card

cmpetronelli wrote:

My color nook in noforcation say it is eather a bad card or needs to be formated please somone please tell what to do thank you carol:smileysurprised:

You should buy a larger card.  A 4 gb microsd card goes for less than $10 these days.  Your 32 meg card is an useless downgrade to your 8 gb nookColor.

Distinguished Bibliophile
phoneboy
0 Kudos

Hope you ment 32gig..

Settings, device info, SD card, Format

Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
Frequent Contributor
cmpetronelli
0 Kudos

i DID THAT IT WILL NOT WORK, i CALL TECK. AND FIRST THEY SAID TO FORMAT BY MY CELL PHONE THAN SAID IT COULD NOT HELP ME NOW WHAT DO i DO. PLEASE HELP

Distinguished Correspondent
Gtriever
0 Kudos

I thought the maximum size card for the NC was 16GB?

Correspondent
Traff
0 Kudos

It might not be anything to do with the card.  I sometimes get this error message after I disconnect from my PC, and I don't even have a card plugged in.   Before you go formatting your card, try a quick power off/on to see if the error goes away.  And/or see if you can access the files on your card. 

Reader
Indianjoe
0 Kudos

You can buy an adapter at any computer store that will enable you to use the micro SD on a computer card reader. You may be able to format it there. My first impression is that your card itself is bad.

I've had that error myself. I inserted another card ( a known good card from my phone) and the Nookcolor read it with no problems. I returned the other card for a new one. It also was recognized by the Nookcolor. Be careful about how you insert the micro SD card into the NookColor. It only goes in one way.

Wordsmith
gandalf1369

Gtriever wrote:

I thought the maximum size card for the NC was 16GB?

16GB for the nook classic

32GB for the NookColor

**** He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins ****
Contributor
LoveMyToys
0 Kudos

I had the most success with the Sandisk brand. Kingston and some of the "off" brands would not work.
Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
0 Kudos

Huh.  I just threw in an old 2BG Kingston card I had lying around, and the NC said it was bad.  Told it to format it, and it said the format was successful.

Except my 2GB card is now a 0.93GB card!   lol    :smileyvery-happy:

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
0 Kudos

cmpetronelli wrote:

I think you meant GIG not MEG, and allow the nook to format the card, all will be well then.

---------
Don
Inspired Contributor
withfeeling
0 Kudos

I would guess that microSD cards up to 32Gb work on both the Nook Classic & the Nook Color. However, I have NOT tried 32Gb on either.

Both SD & microSD cards up to 32Gb are covered by the SDHC standard, so I wouldn't think that the Nook Classic would max out at 16Gb. Manufacturers often only certify their products for memory cards that are actually available when the product ships, even though there is no reason larger ones should fail.

There is no microSD standard above 32Gb. However, there is a SDXC standard for SD cards of 64Gb & above.

Inspired Contributor
RucknRun
0 Kudos

So far I am 0 for 2 with 32 G cards.  I save movies on them and the movies don't play. The same files on the internal memory work fine.  I bought a 16GB card next to try.  It is very strange.

Inspired Contributor
withfeeling
0 Kudos

You might try formating them as FAT32 on your PC. Maybe it is just a problem with the NC formating software. I don't think formating the as NTFS would work.

New User
Sanborn32
0 Kudos

where did you buy your 32gb card. there are a LOT of counterfeit cards being sold especially on sites like ebay and other unscrupulous sites. Buy a reputable brand ( Kingston, Corsair, PNY funnily a lot of the counterfeit cards are Sandisk branded ) from a brick and morter store, that way you can take it back if you have any problems. oh and you did puch it all the way in till it clicked? yes?

Inspired Contributor
RucknRun
0 Kudos

i think the first card was fake.  The second was a kingston. I think others have had problems with the 32gb kingston. It works fine everywhere else.  Bought them off of ebay so there was no returning them.   I ended up buying a 16GB card and it works fine.  All the movies I ripped I thought were bad worked fine on the new card.  It is a shame I wasted my money on the other cards.  I don't think paying 200 at  a mortar store is worth it if you can get it for 70 online.  Tigerdirect or Newegg are reputable online dealers. They have no problems with returns.

Contributor
Capcom
0 Kudos

32GB NookColor Memory

I bought a Kingston 32GB Micro SDHC memory chips, class 6, on Ebay for about $60 back in Oct but now I see they are selling for around $115. I would avoid off brands and out of country deals as many counterfeit memory chip sales have been reported (2GB in 32GB package, etc.)  User guide specifies max memory Speed is Class 6 although 16GB Class 10 (fastest) Micro SDHC are available.

I have run MP4 video, MP3 audio and files off both local 8GB resident memory and from 32GB extended memory with no problems or apparent difference in performance.   I don't own or want a smartphone or MP3 player so the NC is my primary media machine.  All my photos, music and some videos are on it, that's why I went for max size Micro SDHC memory chip.

Contributor
jaybee5405
0 Kudos

If you actually have a 32mb micro SD card that is insufficient to store anything.  you need to have a gigbit card. 4, 8, 16, or 32.  if it says format then go to device settings, SD card if it is highlighted and format.  if not highlighted then it is not recognised.  could be bad card also.

Correspondent
Glitchster
0 Kudos

I bought a Lexar 32GB micro SDHC card (class 10) from Amazon.com. I have a SDcard utility that will check the read/write speed and overall performance of most any card. The results confirmed that the card I purchased was a true 32GB(class 10) SDHC microsd card.

With that info, I plugged it into my NOOK Tablet and let the NOOK take care of the formatting . The card ran great for two weeks, until I was caught using my NOOK tablet during an unexpected auto upgrade to 1.4.2 OS. Coincidentally, the card became unreadable and posted that the card needed formatting or the sdcard was bad.

I powered down my NOOK tablet completely and rebooted. The card still malfunctioned. Also, displaying a small chip icon (in the lower left corner) with an exclaimation mark, when clicked on, displayed that the card was bad.

I removed the card and installed it into my laptop's sdcard reader. Using WIN7's file manager, the card could not be identified. After some playing around an error stated that the sdcard was "write protected".

I had this card about three weeks and arranged to return it to Amazon. I have just received the replacement. This time, I will format the card as a FAT32 file system, using my laptop and then insert it into my NOOK, letting the tablet have it's way with it. Hopefully, the card will remain stable.

As a side note; I purchased the Lexar for $39.99 when Amazon had a special 24 hour sale. So, I bit the hook and thankful when I tested it, that it was truely a SDHC 32GB Class 10 micro-sd card .

"Don't let the sound of your own wheels drive you crazy... so, take it easy..." the Eagles

... If knowledge is power, why do I have to keep recharging my ereader ?
Correspondent
Glitchster
0 Kudos

Addendum: Help 32 meg micro card - USE FORMATTER FOR SD CARDS

I looked up an SDCARD FORRMATTER I've used and should use. My fault is getting lazy in my retirement.

So, since I have awakened... I'd like to suggest that SDCARD users use an sdcard formatting utility prior to using their sdcards.; You can take or leave this advice, it's only a suggestion.

According to the the SDCARD Assocation the website posted the following; quoted below:

"The SD Formatter was created specifically for memory cards using the SD/SDHC/SDXC standards. It is strongly recommended to use the SD Formatter instead of formatting utilities provided with operating systems that format various types of storage media. Using generic formatting utilities may result in less than optimal performance for your memory cards."

The SD/SDHC/SDXC memory cards have a "Protected Area" on the card for the SD standard's security function. The SD Formatter does not format the "Protected Area". Please use appropriate application software or SD-compatible device that provides SD security function to format the "Protected Area" in the memory card.

Click on the linl below to get the formatting software utility:

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_3/ 

I hope this helps...

"Don't let the sound of your own wheels drive you crazy... so, take it easy..." the Eagles

... If knowledge is power, why do I have to keep recharging my ereader ?