Contributor
Eloewien
0 Kudos

Re: Houston we have a reset problem

Did you download the file from your nook or from your computer then transfer to the nook? To do a manual update, you need to download the file to your computer, plug in your nook with the USB cable and click and drag the file from the computer to your nook.  Use your "safely eject" option and disconnect the usb cable.Then let the nook sit and when it goes to sleep it should automatically install.  Instructions are also located here.

Contributor
Karyn429
0 Kudos

KathyDG wrote:

Mine did the same thing.  Even when I try to register with a new email address it won't do it.  Have I lost everything on my nook?   Just bought a book last night and was getting ready to read.  What's up? 

KathyDG, try the sync button.  Mine was blank when it came back up and then I clicked the sync button and all my books and apps appeared.  Most need to be "downloaded" again, which just means that I need to touch "download" button on the bookcover.

Contributor
ddev
0 Kudos

As of today, 4/28/11, I have been back to the store to try to return my NC, but they will not refund my money.  I have lost my music and library books.  The NC has been automatically reverted to version 1.1.0.  I started to read a book "in-store" and decided to buy the book before the hour ran out.  Again, a big mistake!!  My library is now locked on the page I was reading when I left the store!  I can't get it to change to another book and cannot get back to my library; although the unit will bring up the menu and I can get to settings and apps.  It just won't let me read anything.  I can't swipe backward or forward.

What a waste of money. 

Can anyone suggest some boards I could post my experience to so that others will be forewarned?

Inspired Correspondent
furyu
0 Kudos

I came to these boards -- B&N's COmmunity-- on Monday after losing the functionality of my NC -- after updating it.  

Frankly, there has been nothing useful gained from these boards.  Nothing.  Just a lot of complaining by people---like myself--who now have worthless paper weight that cost them $250.  

What does B&N care?  They are already bankrupt or about to go into bankruptcy, they are closing down stores, and they have a 2nd rate, um, make that 3rd rate, eReader (I'm talking about the classic Nook) and have now failed BIG TIME on making their NookColor--which was the one

good thing they had--into a decent tablet.  

There hasn't been one person on these boards representing B&N who has fessed up to the problem(s) and stated what was being done to correct the problem and get everybody back to functionality.

Very bad situation.  I will never feel the same way about B&N or my nooks as I did prior to this and I can't wait until I just chuck the whole thing, bite the bullet, buy an iPad and a Kindle.

I can do that.  I'm just being stubborn right now.  And hoping against hope obviously.

Write to be understood, speak to be heard, read to grow...
~L.C.Powell

Frequent Contributor
JediFarfy
0 Kudos

furyu wrote:

I came to these boards -- B&N's COmmunity-- on Monday after losing the functionality of my NC -- after updating it.  

Frankly, there has been nothing useful gained from these boards.  Nothing.  Just a lot of complaining by people---like myself--who now have worthless paper weight that cost them $250.  

What does B&N care?  They are already bankrupt or about to go into bankruptcy, they are closing down stores, and they have a 2nd rate, um, make that 3rd rate, eReader (I'm talking about the classic Nook) and have now failed BIG TIME on making their NookColor--which was the one

good thing they had--into a decent tablet.  

There hasn't been one person on these boards representing B&N who has fessed up to the problem(s) and stated what was being done to correct the problem and get everybody back to functionality.

Very bad situation.  I will never feel the same way about B&N or my nooks as I did prior to this and I can't wait until I just chuck the whole thing, bite the bullet, buy an iPad and a Kindle.

I can do that.  I'm just being stubborn right now.  And hoping against hope obviously.

Go to MobileReads forum. They have plenty of people who have helped others with technical help. They are very informed nook owners.

BTW B&N is NOT bankrupt and NOT closing stores. You're thinking of Borders. They are NOT the same company. Never have been.

Inspired Correspondent
furyu
0 Kudos

Jedi... thanks for the info, will chec it out.

BN is not in bankruptcy, true.  It is having --has been having-- financial problems and has closed stores.  There have been numerous reports of its financial woes since last year with its stock prices in free fall.  But you're right, it is not in bankruptcy, I was wrong about that.  

http://www.examiner.com/business-development-in-detroit/could-barnes-noble-follow-borders-into-finan...

~L.C.Powell

Inspired Correspondent
furyu
0 Kudos

Rec'd new (pre-owned) NC.  It came with the 1.0 software and hasn't been updated.  I got through the registration process just fine, and now have a functional, albeit non-updated, NC.  After downloading a few of the books I'm currently reading along with some magazines, I've turned off wi-fi as I'm scared stiff to allow it to auto-update.

Rumor has it that the problem arose for those (of  us) who manually updated and then, sometime later, received an auto-update.  I can testify that that was not my situation.  The moment after the updated software was installed manually, I lost internet connection.  There was never any way an auto-update could have occurred on my (former) NC.

~L.C.Powell

Contributor
ddev
0 Kudos

An update:  as of 5/2/11, I've gotten the NC to unlock (don't know how, but it is).  I can now read books and the book I purchased "in-store" has downloaded.  Music and library books are still gone (I'm guessing forever). 

I have not been contacted by anyone at BN.  I've not seen any acknowledgement from BN that there was even a problem; much less any explanation about what happened or how BN would ensure that it would not happen again. 

There have been some responses on this board from the moderator "Nook_Engineer", but there hasn't been anything for days...

I'm still at 1.1.0 but wondering when BN will automatically try to upgrade me again (all without warning, I'm sure).  I haven't put any music or library books back on it, knowing that they will just be lost again. 

Could someone (anyone??!?) from BN let us know what is going on?

Inspired Correspondent
furyu
0 Kudos

Sorry, ddev, I'm not from BN but  like you, no one from BN tech or customer support or  management has contacted me.  Two of the C/S/Rs I spoke to took my email address and said, I'd be contacted within 24 hours by someone.  That was on Wednesday and Thursday of last week.  I never got any such email.
My original NC became completely disfunctional after I updated and then lost wi-fi connectivity, and then, later, performed a hard reset which wiped out everything (which of course I knew it would).  However, after the reset the NC was still unable to connect to my wifi.  BN support did send me a 'new' (pre-owned) NC which has the original OS on it, 1.0.  
I leave the WI-Fi off on it because I do not want to udate until I'm certain the update has been fixed.  That's the only reason now that I'm monitoring these boards, to see if everyone is saying, hurray hurray, the update is fixed.  I can't be bothered trying to get in touch with BN support anymore because it's a waste of time.  One rep told me on Thursday that the update was fixed, then he came back a few minutes later and said, well... you need to wait another 24 hours then call back.  
I can't speak as to what BN is doing re auto-updating, obviously.  The update was suppose to occur over a period of "weeks" so they may still be sending it or maybe they aren't.  Who knows.  BN will not address this matter, although they must be thoroughly aware of it.  How could they not be?
But if you only turn on the wi-fi to do stuff, download books or check on something (google and/or wikipedia, etc.), then turn it off, it won't update; it'll only update if the wi-fi is left on and it goes to sleep.  So... I''m not taking any chances in updating mine yet.  I'd rather have a non-updated but functional NC than the apparent alternative.

ddev wrote:

An update:  as of 5/2/11, I've gotten the NC to unlock (don't know how, but it is).  I can now read books and the book I purchased "in-store" has downloaded.  Music and library books are still gone (I'm guessing forever). 

I have not been contacted by anyone at BN.  I've not seen any acknowledgement from BN that there was even a problem; much less any explanation about what happened or how BN would ensure that it would not happen again. 

There have been some responses on this board from the moderator "Nook_Engineer", but there hasn't been anything for days...

I'm still at 1.1.0 but wondering when BN will automatically try to upgrade me again (all without warning, I'm sure).  I haven't put any music or library books back on it, knowing that they will just be lost again. 

Could someone (anyone??!?) from BN let us know what is going on?

~L.C.Powell

Reader 2
TOlson
0 Kudos

UGG, I am so dissapointed with B&N! I really could care less about games, video or junk that distracts from the very reason that I have the NC ... to read and enjoy literature. B&N before you release any more updates make sure they work properly. 1.2.0 crashed my NC to the point of uselessness! Oh yes, they agreed to replace my NC but only after 4 days of frustration and an additional 5 hours dealing with 3 Philippine Tech support peeps, about an hour and half at the store (which they could do nothing but dial the phone for me so I could talk with a customer service rep) had all I could do to NOT embarass myself or the poor B&N employee. If I wanted all the extra junk I would have purchased an I pad or better yet, I'll just use my smart phone!B&N you should let your store locations have a little more say in customer service!

Signed one angry bird ....

New User
Helen0616
0 Kudos

My nook just did this very thing - I plugged into my computer to move some pictures over and BOOM! It reset itself. Now, it's stuck. It had plenty of charge but now it says it can't turn on because the battery is too low. I have downloaded (manually) the update and tried to install... no luck.

This sucks.

New User
ahaniadragonfire
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

So even more recent, My NC locked up yesterday. I just recieved the software update that did everyone in. It of course wiped my nook, no big deal I have everything backed up on my PC. But even better when i try to register it I can get all the way to the log-in screen... and I get an error. Tells me to call CS. Which I did, the guy i get acts like he hasn't heard this problem before (just by reading the forum I know better than that) walks me through the registration, like i couldn't do it on my own. Asks for the device info screen after the error... then puts me on hold. 10 Minutes later he tells me hes going to unregister it on their end and to wait an hour and try again... so in other words... they still have no idea whats going on or how to fix it. If this doesnt work I'm taking the damn thing back. I started out with the first Gen nook and thought it would be cool to have the touch screen and apps available as I was using my Nook Daily... sure showed me!

UPDATE: Hour goes by... guess what.....  it still doesnt work, imagine that

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

My feeling is that your specific problem is related to the bit where "erase and deregister" doesn't do a deregister at both your device and on the server. 

That is, if you erase and deregister, then try to point to a new email address, you get a message to call CS. 

I think they know what happened a month ago.  The folks answering the phone may not.  Or they may, but they may have been told not to tell customers. 

Think I'm joking?  Apple recently ordered call center operators not to help users with trojanned systems. 

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/apple-continues-to-tell-support-reps-do-not-help-with-mac-malware/337...

Written guidance from Apple included:

- You cannot show the customer how to force quit Safari on a Mac Defender call

- You cannot show the customer how to remove from the Login items.

- You cannot show the customer how to stop the process of Mac Defender in their Activity Monitor.

- You cannot refer the customer to ANY forums or discussions [sic] boards for resolution (this includes the Apple.com forums)

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
New User
Armisael
0 Kudos

Its not only with nook color - Nook 1st edition reset itself and formats the micro SD plugged.!!! I LOST ALL MY BOOKS!!