Contributor
jaacka
0 Kudos

How can my memory be full?

[ Edited ]

Why when I try to download an App would it tell me that my memory is full?  How can I put the apps on an SD card? 

Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv
0 Kudos

Re: How can my memory be full?

I tried to do an app update, and was notified that my memory was full also. And they recommend that I archive some of my apps. Gees...how can this be. I only have a hand full of apps, and about 25 books.

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

On the "original" NC, which has 5 gig of user-accessible storage, the device only has 900 M of room for apps and kids books and video books. 

It's possible that you have filled this up;  some books are surprisingly large. 

If so, back everything up off your NC and see your local store about reparititioning your NC so you have 5 gig for apps and books, and 1 G for 'sideloaded" content.  (You can keep adding more stuff to a memory card if 1G isn't enough room.)

They have an SD card that they can boot your NC from, and it will rearrange your partiitions for you to free up more room. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv
0 Kudos

Roust...I have an SD card in my NC. How do I move stuff there myself?

Mark_OB1
Topics: 23
Kudos: 1,259
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Doreenpv wrote:

Roust...I have an SD card in my NC. How do I move stuff there myself?

You can move sideloaded content there by plugging into your PC/Mac via USB, and using the file management tols there, between the MyNookColor device and your card.

You can also move your purchased B&N books, but after the repartitioning, all your purchased content will automatically download into the (newly expanded) hidden space.  So you'd then wind up with duplicated copies, unless you Archived those.

Lastly, (unfortunately) Apps cannot be stored on, or run from, an SDcard... on the NC.

- Mark

Mark_OB1

Doreenpv wrote:
I tried to do an app update, and was notified that my memory was full also. And they recommend that I archive some of my apps. Gees...how can this be. I only have a hand full of apps, and about 25 books.

Hi, Doreen.  This was first discussed back in April, right after the App Shop opened:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Color-General-Discussion/When-will-new-apps-come-out/m-p...

Back then, someone named Doreenpv (probably a doppleganger :smileywink:) commented:

> Capping apps....that's silly. What about 6 mos from now...do we all start deleting apps to make room for more? <

I guess the answer was 4 months, not 6.  :smileyhappy:

It was later discussed here...

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Color-General-Discussion/Out-of-App-memory/m-p/1025752#M...

and extensively here...

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Color-General-Discussion/Too-Many-Apps/m-p/1003242#M3930...

and most recently here...

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Apps-Discussion/Low-application-memory-space/m-p/1126164...

As Roustabout indicated, once you've repartitioned to solve the Small App Space Problem, all your B&N purchased books (etc), will also go into that hidden area.  And you will be left with 1 GB for sideloaded content, though that can be expanded with uSDcards.

- Mark

Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv
0 Kudos

Thx Mark. I revisited the links you posted and learned a bit more about the allowable space issue.

What confuses me is that I should be able to hold approx. 200 books of average size.

I have no interactive children's books which I understand take up lots of storage. Most of my books are 300 pages, so being full at this point makes no sense to me at all.

I don't mind archiving read books or unused apps, so I guess that will have to do for now.

Reader
em47
0 Kudos

I i also wonder how your nook memory can be full - I have 25 aps ( including many chil;derens color books. I also have over 700 books - many 1000 oppages) and I am told by my nook that it is 75% empty

Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Other than getting a message that my memory is full....how can I check my self? Is it somewhere in settings? Any help would be appreciated.

OK..came back to say that I located my memory info under settings, then device info. It says that I have 4.46GB free of 5.00GB......90% still available. Whew

Wonder why the alert pop up stating that my memory was full when I tried to update 1 app?

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

See reply #3.

Apps are stored in a separate, hidden 900 MB partition. Not in the visible 5GB partition.

You can let any B&N store change your NC to the new partitioning model: A 5 GB hidden partition for all B&N content, and 1GB for sideloaded content.

Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I see, thank you .

G...can you see that amount in settings anywhere, or is that a guessing game.

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

Doreenpv wrote:

I see, thank you .

G...can you see that amount in settings anywhere, or is that a guessing game.

At the moment it is not possible to see how much memory of the hidden partition is used.

This is one of the things people hope will be included in the next firmware update.

Mark_OB1
0 Kudos

Doreenpv wrote:

Wonder why the alert pop up stating that my memory was full when I tried to update 1 app?

I'm wondering that too.  If you really only have a 'handful' of Apps, you shouldn't be seeing this... unless there is some other factor at work.

Even a 'medium' App is only about 10 MB, and a 'big' one about 20 MB.  You could have 60+ or 30+ of those, respectively.  Even with your current, small space.  An average size is certainly 5 MB or less (many of the 90-some I have on my rooted NC are only 1 MB, and together average ~3.2 MB each).  I just don't see how it's possible.

Unless there is some bug where it doesn't always properly free up space when you Archive some content.  I rarely ever do that (only for testing purposes, or trying to force Updates to register).

- Mark

Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv
0 Kudos

Mark...the only reason why I replied to this thread was because hours before reading it, I had an update notice on a tiny stupid game. And when I went to update, a pop up box said that I had no more memory space and that I needed to archive.

So I archived 4 games I lost interest in, and the update occured.

Mark_OB1
0 Kudos

Doreenpv wrote:

Mark...the only reason why I replied to this thread was because hours before reading it, I had an update notice on a tiny stupid game. And when I went to update, a pop up box said that I had no more memory space and that I needed to archive.

So I archived 4 games I lost interest in, and the update occured.

OK.  I'll let it drop.  Hopefully some day B&N will provide some way for owners to be able to monitor the hidden space.  But please, don't hold your breath.  We don't want to lose you.  :smileyhappy:

[Just as an FYI, games can often (but not always) be 20-50 MB in size.  And if they grab more space to store their data, it can go even higher.  So conceivably, you could be full with only ~20 games.]

- Mark

Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv
0 Kudos

Mark I agree with you totally. Why not allow us to see the allowed space for our apps, so we can better monitor our purchases. Hey...that's a thought. After you purchased the game, then and only then will you be notified that you need to archive to download. Pretty sneaky  huh!