Contributor
MrGuber
0 Kudos

How do you do a Hard Reboot on Nook Color 1.2?

[ Edited ]

I need to know the exact instructions on how to do a Hard Software reboot on the new Nook Color 1.2?  Any ideas?

Thanks,

Fred

Frequent Contributor
webyrd
0 Kudos

Re: How do you do a Hard Reboot on Nook Color 1.2?

Power off then power on - hold power button until it asks if you want to shut off, hit OK, after it is off, hold power button for a few seconds until it turns back on.

Correspondent
Dr_Mabooza
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

MrGuber wrote:

I need to know the exact instructions on how to do a Hard Software reboot on the new Nook Color 1.2?  Any ideas?

Thanks,

Fred

Sorry, but once you 1.2.0, you can never go back. I have tried all morning, used everyone's method, and then when that failed, took my NookColor back to the Barnes and Noble where I bought the thing.  SInce it's past 14 days (I've put up w/ this buggy tablet since late December 2010), they will not take it back and will not reimburse me, even though Barnes and Noble's "genius" engineers have done something insane:  that 1.2.0 update is now part of your ROM! How do I know?  Because B and N employees took my NookColor into wherever it is they do techish things on-premises and tried to do their own hard factory reset method and it did not work.  And they concluded that this is what happens when you update: 1.2.0 stays around FOREVER apparently, no matter what you try to do.
So I am going to be calling their corporate offices about this "brilliant" update. You should too:
1-800-962-6177.
Then I'm putting the thing on ebay or something.  I'll buy an iPad.  At least every Apple product I have bought worked and has kept on working.

Inspired Wordsmith
donc13

Dr_Mabooza wrote:

MrGuber wrote:

Thanks,

Fred

Sorry, but once you 1.2.0, you can never go back. I have tried all morning, used everyone's method, and then when that failed, took my NookColor back to the Barnes and Noble where I bought the thing.  SInce it's past 14 days (I've put up w/ this buggy tablet since late December 2010), they will not take it back and will not reimburse me, even though Barnes and Noble's "genius" engineers have done something insane:  that 1.2.0 update is now part of your ROM! How do I know?  Because B and N employees took my NookColor into wherever it is they do techish things on-premises and tried to do their own hard factory reset method and it did not work.  And they concluded that this is what happens when you update: 1.2.0 stays around FOREVER apparently, no matter what you try to do.
So I am going to be calling their corporate offices about this "brilliant" update. You should too:
1-800-962-6177.
Then I'm putting the thing on ebay or something.  I'll buy an iPad.  At least every Apple product I have bought worked and has kept on working.

NOPE   

I had 1.2 on my NC.    I backed it out and re-loaded 1.0 (via the 8 failed power on restarts and then the factory reset power on) and then back-reved from 1.2 to 1.1

But yes, Apple is perfect.   Apple makes no mistakes, Apple never had a problem with the iPhone, the iPad is perfect.   The Jobs products are perfect, never break, never have problems never need updates.   PERFECT.

---------
Don
Inspired Wordsmith
donc13

MrGuber wrote:

Thanks,

Fred

Turn it to full power off (wake up the NC and then hold the power button in until you get the prompt if you really wanna power it off).

1. Now press the power button until the screen flashes

2. Release the power button

3. When the "Read Forever" comes up hold the power button in until the NC powers off again.  Not just darkens.   If you wish, wait until you see the "N" to hold in the power button until the screen goes dark.   If you see the Nook color annimation....you have to start all over again.

Repeat step 1, 2 and 3  eight times.

On the 9th restart, it will flash into a reloading and update screen.   

LET IT FINISH and reboot itself.   It will take a few mintues!   BE PATIENT.

Once it starts, you can go into settings and ERASE AND DE-REGISTER your NC. 

It'll ask if you really wanna do that.    Say yes.

If it sits there for what seems like a very long time doing nothing, then use the alternate method, which is to once again, completely power down your NC.

Once powered down, hold down the HOME button (the "n" button) and then while holding that button down, hold down the power key until the NC starts up, keep the HOME button pushed

The NC should jump to a "factory reset?" screen (and now you can let go fo the HOME button) where you push the HOME button to say yes.   It'll ask again, push the HOME button again.   It will once again show the screen where it erases itself and then reloads the OS and starts up.   Once again...be patient, when it's done, you have a completely cleared NC.   You do NOT have to remove the SD card to do this, but like all in life, it won't hurt to remove it first.

You MUST do both forms of reset to completely clear back to "factory fresh"

---------
Don
Nook_Engineer
0 Kudos

Follow Don's steps.  The NOOKColor will reinstall whatever firmware was installed originally from the factory.  Depending on when you bought your device, you'll be rolled back to either 1.0 or 1.1.

-Jeffrey

Contributor
junefaramore
0 Kudos

The reboot got me back to 1.01. Going to try installing 1.2 again.

New User
Snehne
0 Kudos

Thanks for this useful info.

For the newer NookColor units (after may 2011?) that are factory loaded with 1.2.0, the procedure is slightly different -- after the first reset step, it will boot into the forced "setup" stage. And holding n button down while powering on/off had no effect. The correct completion of the second cleanup step involves registering as usual, but once getting to the home page, bring up menu, choose settings, and choose de-registering. That could complete the (necessary) second step of cleanup and bring the NookColor to original state.

New User
NicoNF
0 Kudos

I agree with your comments! Also agree with the Apple products, AT LEAST THEY PROVIDE TECHNICAL SUPPORT...I have a iMac computer and they have provided answers and not a problem contacting. I am having same problems with my Nook Color and I am also leaning towards purchase of an iPad especially for the support.

I am a huge fan of B&N however their lack of interest in providing customer satisfaction let alone superior customer satisfaction especially since we are customers and return customers are not a priority.