Contributor
Electrikkoolaid
0 Kudos

How do you reset Nook Color?

My NC is giving me a lot of trouble.

It acts like the memory is corrupted, since it keeps locking up at randow times. 

With my other devices, I can hold a "magic" combination of buttons, or connect it via USB and reinitialize the device software to factory settings.

How do I officailly reboot a locked-up Nook Color?

How do I reinstall (reintiailize) corrupt software?

(Now that I'm outside the 14 day return window, the problems seem to be daily now.)

Contributor
lcrkz0023
0 Kudos

Re: How do you reset Nook Color?

Turn it off. Hold down the power and the N home button until on screen notification appears. Then follow prompts.
Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@Electrikkoolaid,

Prior to connecting NOOKcolor to your computer please make sure that you unlock it first (swipe the "n" from left to center).

Was your issue resolved?

Contributor
Electrikkoolaid
0 Kudos

No.

I'm looking to reset the NC to it's factory default settings due to frequent freeze ups that are not resolved by simple rebooting.

Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
0 Kudos

Electrikkoolaid wrote:

No.

I'm looking to reset the NC to it's factory default settings due to frequent freeze ups that are not resolved by simple rebooting.

Look at the bottom of page 75 of the user manual on how to perform a hard reset back to factory defaults.

It's under the Erase and Deregister section.

Be sure you deregister it first!

---------
Don
Inspired Correspondent
ladytonya
0 Kudos

Okay, I have gone to page 75 of the manual and it's just "Appendix F: NOOKcolor Terms of Service. Where are you finding instructions on how to do this?  I just spent over an hour on the phone with tech support after holding for 45 minutes to get a live person on the phone.  I need to reset my NOOKcolor to factory settings because the owner name is listed as my husband instead of myself (yeah, I know it's silly, but it's the principle of it. I want my Nook to have my name on it when I go in the store!).

Anyway, here is everything I have done.  Christmas day, I turned on the Nook and signed in with my email address.  Our BN membership was in my husband's name with my email address, so when I registered the device it was registered in his name.  I called BN yesterday and they deregistered the membership from the online account and changed the name on the membership from my husband to me.  I logged back in to my bn.com account and reattached the membership to it.  When I log in to bn.com, everything is showing up as my name, my husband's name is nowhere.  I then deregistered and erased the NC.  When it rebooted, same thing. Store and owner both still have hubby's name.  I did this like 3 times yesterday.  Went to the BN store yesterday and they looked at it, said that the server was probably just slow because it's been busy after Christmas and to wait.  Well, I've waited and still nothing, so I called tech support this morning.  They had me do a factory reset by holding down the power and home button for 20 seconds and releasing for 1 second and doing this seven times.  It said that it was resetting to factory settings, but it's still my husband's name.  Now, before doing this process she did not have me erase and deregister so maybe I need to do that next time I'm in range of WiFi. 

What else can I try?  Plus, is that the correct procedure for performing a factory reset?  I thought it was odd that I had to do it 7 times even though it kept coming up and asking if I wanted to do a factory reset.  She said to ignore it and do the 20 sec, 1 sec rotation 7 times.  I did this twice to no avail. Can somebody please help? It's not that big of a deal as my NC does work like a charm, it's just annoying that it has my husband's name on it every time I go to the store. No, it's not Tim's Nook Store, it's Tonya's! LOL!

Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
0 Kudos

It's not on page 75 of mine, either. 

Soft reset on page 9.

"Erase & Deregister" on page 52.

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
0 Kudos

I'm looking at the User Guide that is here on the site,

http://img1.imagesbn.com/PImages/nook/encore/support/pdf/User_Guide_NOOKcolor.pdf

It's 108 pages long, and the Terms of Service start at page 97.  

I don't have my NC here with me, but last time I looked, the User Guide on it was identical to the one on this website.

Anyway....on the above link, the erase and deregister instructions are on page 75.

---------
Don
Inspired Correspondent
ladytonya
0 Kudos

On the device itself, the pagination is different.  Anyway, I have done that already and it didn't work.  Anybody have any suggestions? I am getting so frustrated at this stupid little thing!

Contributor
ColleensMother
0 Kudos

Thanks --- this was all I needed to get my sound back. I had turned it off a number of times but evidently it wasn't REALLY off. Just hope the sound continues to work. I am going to keep testing it a lot so that if it goes again I can still return it if necessary

Contributor
cripplerp
0 Kudos

The sound is a frimware issues.  It is happening to everyone.  If you power down your nook and power it back on, the sound comes back.  However it goes away with sleep mode. 

B&N says that they are fixing that in the next update

Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

@cripplerp,

The sound issue is not universal; many owners have no issue with sound. SOME owners have issues with sound.

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
0 Kudos

My sound has been fine since Day One. 

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
New User
Mandarus

[ Edited ]

ladytonya, was your problem ever resolved? I would be very careful performing the steps to do a reset that support asked you to do. My understanding is that doing several interrupted reboots will re-flash the ROM in your NC back to the out-of-box state of the NC. This can be very dangerous, and the NC could be permanently disabled if the flash process is interrupted in any way (i.e. if your battery is low and is drained during the flash process). Good luck!

Contributor
irishais
0 Kudos

To reset:

Power down your NC. Wait approximately 10 seconds or so-- just give it a bit of a break between shut down and factory reset.

Press and hold power button and your "N" home button almost simultaneously-- press Power first and then the N.

Hold these until your screen flashes the "Touch the future of reading" message; hold for a second or two afterward, then release. You will then get a prompt asking if you want to reset your nook to factory. Press the home button to continue. It will ask you to confirm. Press the home key again. Your nook will deregister, reset, and when it reboots, you will see "Kate" in her tutorial video, as if you'd never registered it in the first place.

(Obviously your account info will still be valid-- simply register with your email/pw combo instead of creating a new account.)

Reader
LB1VA
0 Kudos

This is 7Feb only two lock ups. Both after rel1.10. Just hold down the power button until th Nc turns completely off. No need to reregister. Appears to work for me. Typed on Nook Color. Great reader and browser but really really needs Flash!
B&N Bookseller
MollyO
0 Kudos

Technically, this procedure is considered a "soft" reset. A manual reset or "factory fallback" is not a procedure our company suggests be used by consumers as if done improperly can cause major problems. If your device requires more than simple troubleshooting, it is best that it be done by an employee. That way if further problems arise, it will be our problem not yours. 

irishais wrote:

To reset:

Power down your NC. Wait approximately 10 seconds or so-- just give it a bit of a break between shut down and factory reset.

Press and hold power button and your "N" home button almost simultaneously-- press Power first and then the N.

Hold these until your screen flashes the "Touch the future of reading" message; hold for a second or two afterward, then release. You will then get a prompt asking if you want to reset your nook to factory. Press the home button to continue. It will ask you to confirm. Press the home key again. Your nook will deregister, reset, and when it reboots, you will see "Kate" in her tutorial video, as if you'd never registered it in the first place.

(Obviously your account info will still be valid-- simply register with your email/pw combo instead of creating a new account.)

Molly - CRM2723
Reader 2
pmrx
0 Kudos

Do you have an approximate time table? I tried it for 60 seconds and it didn't come on. It is fully charged, but will not turn on at all and, of course, since it isn't turned on my hard drive doesn't recognize it either.

Really wish I'd spent my money elsewhere. Even $500 for a tablet would be better than the endless headaches and hassles.

Reader 2
pmrx
0 Kudos

Can you explain how to do a hard reset anyway? I've been told that since I purchased the unit used (young lady wanted an iPod instead, and her dad told her she'd have to come up with half the money herself. Selling me her Nook Color was her way of doing so.) that the warantee is void so I'm pretty well out the $200 anyway if I cannot get it to work somehow.

New User
joshacsd
0 Kudos

Your method worked! thanks!