Contributor
stevecb0
0 Kudos

How fast does wireless need to be?

I have a Nook wifi only.Can do everythimg except download a book through wifi. Books are shopped and purchased and I can download to laptop and load sideways, but cannot download directly via Nook.Can use browser wirelessly.Support very friendly and polite but knowledge seems to be limited.I was told to call my ISP and increase my speed, but when I asked how fast it needed to be I was basically told" faster than it is now",which isn't very helpful. I have an old Linksys B router and a DSL modem. I tested with C NET tool and I am receiving at about 3.5 megs.Can anyone tell me what I need to upgrade that speed to in order to trigger a download via the nook? The message I get is "queued... will begin shortly" when I attempt to download and the book will never download. Thanks for any help.

Inspired Wordsmith
Ed_Mart
0 Kudos

Re: How fast does wireless need to be?

[ Edited ]

I don't see that speed or lack thereof is your problem.  The speed is the same whether it's the nook or your laptop doing the downloading.  If the laptop can download, the nook should be able to download.

How specifically are you trying to download the books?

Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
0 Kudos

stevecb0 wrote:

I have a Nook wifi only.Can do everythimg except download a book through wifi. Books are shopped and purchased and I can download to laptop and load sideways, but cannot download directly via Nook.Can use browser wirelessly.Support very friendly and polite but knowledge seems to be limited.I was told to call my ISP and increase my speed, but when I asked how fast it needed to be I was basically told" faster than it is now",which isn't very helpful. I have an old Linksys B router and a DSL modem. I tested with C NET tool and I am receiving at about 3.5 megs.Can anyone tell me what I need to upgrade that speed to in order to trigger a download via the nook? The message I get is "queued... will begin shortly" when I attempt to download and the book will never download. Thanks for any help.

You need to "Check for new B&N Content" from the library screen.   There is no reason why downloading books would be any different than any other internet access....meaning if you can connect and shop, there's no reason why you can't also download.

Class B is fine (11mbps) and DSL is fine.    You might see longer downloads, meaning slower, but they should still download just fine.   But for a book, you should be able to get them within a few seconds for most books.

---------
Don
Contributor
stevecb0
0 Kudos

My thoughts exactly. As to the downloading, I buy a book wirelessly with the nook, I check new content on the nook and the book title is in my library, both in the nook and at B and N online. When I try to open the book, the touch pad moves to a screen where "download "is the first option.

When I chose  download, the touchpad says "starting" and then moves to the "queued.. will complete shortly" message and remains there. The book never downloads to the Nook. If I go to a Brnes and Noble and connect there, everything works great.

Thanks for responding. All help is greatly appreciated at this point:smileyhappy:

Inspired Wordsmith
Ed_Mart
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

If you are happy with your current connect speed I would first recontact CS and talk to another tech, a second or third opinion from Digital Support can't hurt. 

On the other hand, if you want to increase your speed, contact your ISP and ask them what they offer in higher connect speeds and at what prices - 10Mbps should be more than adequate and is in keeping with you 802.11b routers top speed.  However, I don't believe that a faster connection will solve the problem.

FWIW:  I just saw this thread, seems that you are not alone.  It may also put the lie to the "faster connection" advice.

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Technical-Support/Busy-Servers-Can-t-complete-downloads/...

Contributor
stevecb0
0 Kudos

Thanks... I have contacted twice by phone and once by email( response was for me to call,lol). Both "techs" were basically reading scripts and had no other solution than it was an issue with my speed or their busy servers... there were a lot issues with this problem reported in forums right after 1.5 came out... maybe they will fix...