Contributor
JALWA2010

How to Register/Deregister Nook without previous owner info?

I would appreciate any help

I Bought Nook color from Craig L, face to face transaction Owner told me, he reset and deregister nook only thing I need to do is get WIFI connection and register with BN account. I went home tired to register like 10 time came with error to call CS. I did everything complete reset & 3 finger salute like 6-7 time no luck. So I called CS they told me it is still registered under old owner name. I try to contact previous owner many time by phone and email NO ANSWER aggravating. Only thing I have is phone number and email nothing else.

Is there any way around it, or I am stuck with a brick

Contributor
JALWA2010

Re: How to Register/Deregister Nook without previous owner info?

Is there any one who can help me I will really appreciate... Or I just made the bad deal...

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

I would ask this question in the "ask the community moderator" forum. 

When I first bought my NC, I registered it to my spamtrap email address, because I didn't understand what-all the point of registering it was. 

Later, I wished I'd registered it to my Google address, and when I tried an erase and deregister followed by a rereg to a different email address, I got the "call customer support" screen as well.

I think what I could have done during that call is supply CS with my BN account info and have them actually delete the registration on their end. 

I've never cared enough to do it, but if my interpretation is right, "erase and deregister" does not mean what it says on the tin. 

If the original owner won't call BN and have the device deleted from his account, you could install an alternate rom and still have a nice little tablet.  You can install the Nook app and have access to your BN account. Alternate roms would include Phiremod and Cyanogen;  neither has the battery life of the stock OS, but both let you have the full Android marketplace. 

You can also use BN firmware without re-registering it, by "skipping the out of box experience." Doing the skip OOBE lets you set things up and use the on-board apps without tying the device to an email. 

If you google for that phrase you'll see instructions, I think on nookdevs. 

This mode will let you use your own sideload content even within the BN library app.  It might even have a way for you to add your BN account to the shop as a secondary account, but there I don't know. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Frequent Contributor
suvlady
0 Kudos

JALWA2010 wrote:

Is there any one who can help me I will really appreciate... Or I just made the bad deal...

Try holding down the Power / Home (n) and Plus (+) keys at the same time.  That is how I got mine to reset itself back to the "like new" state.  I was then able to start everything up like new.  It's worth a try.

Contributor
JALWA2010
0 Kudos

Yes you are right it will reset but it wont Deregister. I tired that like 6-7 time everytime I go to register with my ID same error..

Contributor
JALWA2010
0 Kudos

thank you roustabout

I was able to to OOBE all other function work fine only SHOP is not i go to SHOP and its keep searching  I tried bowse is NO "APPS" fuction all ther fuction is there Magazine book newspaper but nothing will open up, no luck with search also

Do you thing Root with autorooter will help, I was able to download/update verion 1.1 manually

thanks again 

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

Glad you're back and running again.

If you're on 1.1 now, I would recommend that you use the monster root pack (much like manual nooter, but for 1.1) instead of using the autonooter.

A device rooted with monster root pack is able to install and run the Nook app from the marketplace. (Or was able to when I last tried it - I know the nook app has been updated since.) 

A device rooted with autonooter can not run the nook app.

Both rooting methods will prevent your device from auto-updating to 1.2.

Currently, there's no way to use the nook app in 1.2 (which sucks, since it supports landscape reading and a really good night mode)

Until the prior owner calls BN, or until BN fixes this bug in the "erase and deregister" or gives guidance on how to get the old owners email address pulled out of their database, your shop won't work anyway, but the Nook app will let you buy books from BN and read them on the device. 

Since rooted 1.1 gives you the full Android market, many people think it's an acceptable substitute for 1.2 with the BN market.  There are a few unique BN apps you won't have access to, and I don't know how well some of the kid content will work.  You also won't have the benefit of the faster performance in 1.2, but you can easily find an overclock kernel for 1.1 and make up the difference that way (at some cost in battery life.) 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Contributor
JALWA2010
0 Kudos

thank you for your quick response

Well then I think i need to go shopping for Micro SD card I am still new to this Nook thing and rooting.  i know minimum req for Sd card is 128 or higher if i buy 8 or 16 gig it will give extra space for my file.

Now I can root with 1.1 as yo mention or download manually 1.2 and wait unit dev find out how to root 1.2 but till then I can only use my own file or PDF book to read. I cant use APPS or SHOP

I called old owner like many many tims i dont think he will respond, i hope i didnt bought stolen Nook, i can always call CS and find out or tell CS to let the owner know if he sold it then deregister. CS is not much or help either..... Well i will try to root with monster root pack and hope everythign works fine..