Frequent Contributor
mommydkb
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

How to delete files off of Nook??

Hi All!

I really like a clean, neat look to my pages and I want to know how to delete things off of my Nook.  I borrow my books from the library and use ADE to sideload them into my Nook.  I know that you have to delete the things through ADE and I have done that, but there are still some stray things in my file.

For example:

When I go to My Files, then to Digital Editions, I see these things that don't show up in ADE:

File Folder named Annotations:  what is this and why can't I get rid of it?  It has The four library books that I have borrowed, but I can't open them or anything.  Ex.  Bed_of_Roses.epub.annot  What is this and can I get rid of it?

There is something called The_Amat...ge_1.pdf  This is some type of remnant from a book that I read in PDF format and have since returned to the library and deleted from ADE  How do I get rid of this??

Then there is a book that I returned to the library and deleted off of ADE and it does not show up when I hook up my Nook to ADE with the cord, but there is still a file named Unbroken_1.epub  How do I get rid of this?

Lastly, there is a file called manifest.xml  ????  No idea what that is, but would like it to not be there.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

New User
cj022401
0 Kudos

Re: How to delete files off of Nook??

Simply hook up your "Nook Color" to your PC or computer and then click on "My Computer" and right click on "Drive "F"  and click on "Open" and  whatever is on the device will come up onto the screen and delete all the files or books that you want. However, make sure that you scroll down to "Eject" and there you have it.

Reader
SSDCS
0 Kudos

I, too, have this "manifest.xml" in my Digital Editions folder... I have deleted it at least a dozen times, but every time I plug into my computer it's there again.  What is it and how can I make it go away?

Frequent Contributor
MikeNC
0 Kudos

manifest.xml  is, if I remember correctly, ADE's index file.  Every time you connect the device to your computer and use ADE, it is going to re-create that file.  The only way to not have it is to not use ADE.

Annotations is, well, where any annotations you have made in an ADE sideloade book are kept.  Again, if you don't want it, then you will need to not use ADE, as it is simply going to recreate that folder every time you sideload a book via ADE.

The entire "Digital Editions" folder is created and used by ADE.  Editing its contents outside of the ADE application itself may cause problems with ADE sideloaded content.

Reader
SSDCS
0 Kudos

Thank you!!!!

Reader 2
nyor
0 Kudos

For some reason when I finished reading one of my B&N books it put in my library listing about 900 times. Anyway there are 109 pages listing it and all of them are labeled "new" . In looking through my B&N download file there only about the number of files that I have books and there is no way to tell what each one is because they are listed only by a number and no title. I would like to get all those entries out of my files, but am stumped as how to do it. I sent this question to B&N but did not get a reply.

New User
WayneBNorris
0 Kudos

I wrote my first software in 1959, was a programmer for more than 15 years, a software manager for more than 10, but am new to the NOOK.  The frustrating thing for people like me is that the Nook is just like a real computer, but with 50% of the familar functionality removed or restricted, about 40% renamed, partially hidden, or rejiggered, and the 10% remaining mostly supporting uplink sales [I fully accept that the NOOKies need an income - no complaints; I'm just sayin'...].  So that's the backdrop for my question.

My question is... is it REALLY TRUE that you need to CONNECT A NOOK TO A COMPUTER in order to delete a file????  I just opened mine up for my birthday, thanks to my dear wife, and decided to download some instrument approach plates supplied by the FAA for IFR flights.  Because I did not know that the progress histogram was compressed into the lower left corner of the screen, I assumed my first click did not work.  As a result, I have FOUR IDENTICAL PDF copies of the instrument flight charts for the southwestern US. :-)

As I sit my at my desk here, I can delete them.  But what would happen if I were in a cockpit parked on the ramp in, say, Travis City, Michigan?  No computer super handy in that case... kinda like having no way to extend the gear if the main gear motor fails.

Just doing a reality check.  Do I **REALLY** need a COMPUTER just to delete a FILE??? Advice????  Say it ain't so.

Frequent Contributor
whiteoakBR
0 Kudos

Yes you do! If your files are in the "downloads" you can clear the "downloads" but you don't get a choice of which downloaded file you want to clear/delete, they are all deleted.  I find that if I download a number of files it makes sense to connect to my computer and do my file management (put the files in the folders I want them in) every so often so I don't accidentally delete my downloads.

The Nook works in the same way a computer does but isn't a full fledged computer.  And it comes with a much lower price for what you get. Good luck and have fun with your new toy.

Inspired Wordsmith
petesnook

Wayne, there is no builtin file manager.  However, if you purchase the QuickOffice Pro app, you will be able to delete, copy, paste, rename files on the Nook or the micro card.  It contains a decent file manager which allows this.  Extremely useful.  It also allows creating and editing Office and PDF files, although I've heard there are some advanced functions it doesn't handle.

New User
WayneBNorris

I'm the one who complained earlier thatthe Nook did not allow file deletion.

**IT DOES** - JUST PRESS AND HOLD THE FILE'S ICON, and a context-sensitive menu appears that reads:

READ

VIEW DETAILS

ADD TO HOME

ADD TO SHELF

CLEAR DEFAULT LAUNCHER

DELETE

It took my 25-year-old son to suggest that simply pushing-and-holding might work.

No if ONLY the Android Operating system could be upgraded to the new version...

OR CAN IT?  Check back later! :-)

New User
DivaTwiMom
0 Kudos

Your son is correct...You can delete files on Nook color & tablet by holding your finger on the file until the secondary menu pulls up! :smileyhappy:
Contributor
brucet
0 Kudos

OK mine doesn't?

When I hold down all I get is Read. View Details. Add to Home and Add to Shelf. So what am I doing wrong on my Nook Colour.

For some reason I have 2 copies of some books. One with a cover and one greyed out. I'm trying to delete the greyed out ones.

Thanks.

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

brucet wrote:

OK mine doesn't?

When I hold down all I get is Read. View Details. Add to Home and Add to Shelf. So what am I doing wrong on my Nook Colour.

For some reason I have 2 copies of some books. One with a cover and one greyed out. I'm trying to delete the greyed out ones.

Thanks.

I think the greyed out ones may be ones you sideloaded onto your device. 

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

brucet wrote:

OK mine doesn't?

Thanks.

The delete option was only added recently with the 1.4.1 update. Check your firmware version.

Contributor
brucet
0 Kudos

Thanks. I've just been to BnN and they installed 1.4.2 for me.

It makes a few changes to how the Nook Color works though.

Reader 4
kalnory
0 Kudos

I DID IT!!!!!!!!!!! In the file  my stuff- push go to  my files then tap that to my downloads okay now

open the download folder and hold down the download you want to delete do not tap it hold it and delete button will appear!!!!!!!! BRILLIANT

New User
RenaissancePainter
0 Kudos

You are brilliant!  Something like this should be more obvious.  Thanks!

New User
bruski127
0 Kudos

Wow! Who knew that it could be that simple. I love finding out new things about my Nook.
Thanks
New User
gyoshi
0 Kudos

Your son is a GENIUS!!!!!  Please tell him thank you!!!  I have had my Nook since just before Christmas and have things on it I don't want.  I just hooked it up to my computer and couldn't figure out how to delete the files because there weren't any in the folders.  That is why I decided to search for another answer.  WOW Thank you so much for taking the time to post this also! 

Gena  :smileyhappy:

New User
Warrant4
0 Kudos

This is Great!  In the past, to delete (I had no idea what I was doing) so I "de-registered" and then when I registered... the unwanted download was gone.  Thanks for the lesson.

Dan Henson (CWO4 USN Ret)