Contributor
AnnasCat
0 Kudos

How to reset Nook Color

I need to re-set a Nook Color that will not respond to touch commands.  It froze up while typing in the web browser.  It will go to sleep on its own, and it will respond to the Wake Up swipe, but then it will not respond to any other touch commands.  I do not see a reset button on the device, and I cannot find reset instructions in the User Guide.  The unit is not damaged in any way, i.e, it has not been dropped nor has anything been spilled in it.  I recharged it (even though it had 80% remaining), but this still didn't "un-freeze" it.  It is not full, i.e., it is about 7% full, with only BN downloads and library material (adobe epubs) on it.  I have had this unit for 6 weeks and have not had any trouble with it until now.  The unit did download and apply, on its own, a software upgrade in late December.

Is there a secret sequence of buttons to push (not touch commands, since it will not currently respond to touch commands) that will re-set the device?

Thank you for any advice

Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
0 Kudos

Re: How to reset Nook Color

There's a difference between what we call a "reset" and a "reboot."  Try a reboot first.

Press and hold the power button for at least five seconds, until the display "fuzzes" out.  Select "power off."  Wait 15-30 seconds, press and hold the power button until the display flashes.  Your NC will then reboot.

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Inspired Contributor
withfeeling
0 Kudos

The first thing to try is just hold the power button longer than 5 seconds until it goes off by itself. Then try powering on.

If that doesn't work - this is from nookdevs.com:

1. With the NOOKcolor powered off hold down the n button (home) and Power Button until the NOOKcolor powers on.
  2. You will be prompted with a Factory Reset dialog. Press POWER key to Exit Press HOME key to continue
  3. Press n button (home).
  4. You will be prompted to confirm. Press POWER key to Exit Press HOME key to continue
  5. Press n button (home).
  6. A Clearing Data dialog will show. NOOKcolor will reboot automatically once complete.

Contributor
AnnasCat
0 Kudos

Thanks to all who replied.  I had to improvise the procedure somewhat, because the unit was not responding to any touches on the glass - therefore, when I held the power button down, and the screen fuzzed, and then the dialog box appeared asking if i wanted to power off.... well, I couldn't because the touch commands weren't going through. 

So I turned it off, waited a few seconds, and then pressed and held the N button until it came back on.  All is well now.

Thanks again!!!

New User
Javablustamper
0 Kudos

I need HELP!!  My kids were playing one of the "kids" games, for preschoolers and my son could not get out of the game?  So, I turned it off, hoping it would help?  Well, now it won't trun back on!  What can I do!!!  Thank you SO much, I really appreciate it!!  I am really worried!!  I have not had it very long!!

Correspondent
ChipPM
0 Kudos

Follow the instructions further up in the thread.  Your NC might also be too low on power to restart. Plug it in to a wall outlet for several hours then try again.

Keep in mind that if the NC is truly off rather than in sleep mode the power button has to be held in until it restarts. It it is just sleeping a tap on the N button is all it needs.

New User
CaptainClayCrash
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

How do you define "until the NOOKcolor powers on"?

Do you hold the home button and the power button until the initial flash? When Read Forever comes on? Certainly not beyond that because holding the buttons down too long after Read Forever shuts the device off again.

I've been trying variations and I get no system reset dialogue box.

Correspondent
ChipPM
0 Kudos

Exactly. You should see a flash. Release the button then the Read Forever logo signals that the Nook is booting up. That's the sign that it was off completely.

If it is not starting, charge it for several hours. It might be too low to start.

New User
Ann5299
0 Kudos

i need help....... my nook is not responding to anything at all and it is fully charged. it froxe up and i thought it would help if i put it on sleep..... i did and now it wont turn on. i just got it yesturday. HELP!!!

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Ann5299.

Try this:

Power Off: Press and hold power button for 20 seconds.

Power On: Press and hold power button for 4 seconds.

This should work.

Please read the thread above. There is good advice there on what you can do.

Reader
MHEIL52
0 Kudos

I was told to hard reset my NOOK color.  These were the steps:

1.      Hold the power button down until NOOK Color is powered off, ignoring the "Power off" prompt.

2.      After Your NOOK Color is powered off hold the "NOOK Home Key" down then simultaneously hold down the "Power" button, release the buttons immediately after the “Read Forever” logo disappears.

3.      If successful, a grey NOOK Logo will appear and the screen will refresh momentarily and flash yellow. A prompt will appear asking if you would like to perform a “Factory Reset,” Tap the "NOOK Home key" to confirm. Tap the "Home key" again to begin the process.

4.      After a few minutes your device will reset and re-install all necessary software. Once completed, you will have to register the device again.

It worked great thru step 2  It never did flash yellow, and no prompt appeared.  I have tried it multiple times.  I have 3 Dr. Suess apps that will not install.  Any other ideas out there?

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Do you have Nook Color? Or Nook HD or HD+?

I think the steps you listed below work only for Color. And perhaps only for old version of OS.

What does the page for the Dr. Seuss Apps say?

Does it say 'HD and HD+ supported' or not?

New User
PreciousPrincess
0 Kudos

thx so much it worked:smileyhappy:

New User
keith1982
0 Kudos

Re: How to reset Nook color passcode

i try passcode 4 number but i not remember passcode cuz i not use much since 4 months so how i need reset ... thanks

New User
STEFB
0 Kudos

Hi, I know this post was kind of old but i followed the directions:

1. With the NOOKcolor powered off hold down the n button (home) and Power Button until the NOOKcolor powers on.
  2. You will be prompted with a Factory Reset dialog. Press POWER key to Exit Press HOME key to continue
  3. Press n button (home).
  4. You will be prompted to confirm. Press POWER key to Exit Press HOME key to continue
  5. Press n button (home).
  6. A Clearing Data dialog will show. NOOKcolor will reboot automatically once complete.

And my nook did a factory reset.  But the symptom I was have is still happening.  It reboots for no reason.  It is fully charged and has plenty of space available.  Is there something else I can try?

Thanks!

Stefanie

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

This is going to sound silly, but what device do you have? A Nook Color or one of the newer HD devices? Think the steps are different, but people are willy nilly all over the place lately. Dont want to assume anything.

New User
lolifrog
0 Kudos

thankyou , my son banned the internet so we couldn't use his nook , this helped so much thanks!
New User
dlvette
0 Kudos

My nook color is locked up tight and won't reset using any of the methods listed above. 

Is there a way to perform a hard reset on the device?

the device is fully charged