New User
jdarbouze
0 Kudos

I was reading a book and suddenly the screen went black! So angry!

Now I can't read any books because every time I open them the screen goes black instead of actually loading the book.  I've had this Nook Color for less than 2 weeks!  I wish I had just told my mother the Kindle was fine. This Nook Color is the most terrible electronic gadget I've ever had!  It has stopped working in less than 2 weeks! And the support number keeps cutting me off instead of sending me to tech support! $200 gift wasted on this piece of crap!  I am so upset!

Wordsmith
CraigAZ

Re: I was reading a book and suddenly the screen went black! So angry!

[ Edited ]

I understand that you are upset but calling your device a piece of crap may not be the best way to ask for help.

Can we assume you have a charged battery?

Have you powered down and restarted your nook color? By powering down, I don't mean letting it go to sleep. Press the power switch several seconds until your get a popup asking if you really want to turn off the device, then tap yes and let it power down. To start up, press the power button for a few seconds until it starts up. This may resolve a glitch that's causing a problem for you.

Does your problem exist for all books? Are you able to use apps without a problem? What version of B&N software is on your device, i.e., 1.3 or 1.4.1?

What is your screen time-out set for? If too short, your device will go black when it goes to sleep without a screen tap within the allotted time frame. Increasing this time gives you more leeway before black screen sleep mode kicks in.

Inspired Wordsmith
A_Wilson

If non of CraigAZ's ideas work, another idea is to check your brightness level.  There were some issues that some others have had intermittently with a few books that apparently did something to the brightness level.  Others have found that all they had to do was adjust the brightness level and their screen was fine.  This might work for you too.

"We cannot all do great things, but we can do small things with great love." - Mother Theresa

“Let us be kind, one to another, for most of us are fighting a hard battle.” Ian McKlaren

Correspondent
draksig
0 Kudos

This post has all of the hallmarks of a kindle troll.   New user, first post, calling the nook a piece of crap and wishing he had gotten a kindle instead.  If this is a genuine issue, this is not the way to get help, if help is what you are after. 

Now that I read the message again, the user never asks for help, is just here to criticize the nook color.

Contributor
Rjs7
0 Kudos

I am having this issue also, I will be reading the book with no problem, go back a page to check something I just read, go to the next page and the page is black--I know the page is fine since I just was on the page with no problem--I have been closing the book and reopening the book, the page is still black and then will come back--not sure what is causing it--But I can tell you I LOVE MY NOOK COLOR--This issue started for me after the update--I first thought it was the book--but it continues with whatever book I am reading. I have done a complete shutdown, also archiving and still have the issue-- Any help in fixing this issue is greatly appreciated!  PS also sometimes when I open the book it goes to a black page--I have to close and reopen the book several times before the page shows up.

Frequent Contributor
COBHC
0 Kudos

try to unregister register the nook if it doesnot work try to do a hard reset

To Hard Reset NOOK Tablet and NOOK Color

1.      Hold the power button down until NOOK Color is powered off, ignoring the "Power off" prompt.

2.      After Your NOOK is powered off hold the "NOOK Home Key" down then simultaneously hold down the "Power" button, release the buttons immediately after the “Read Forever” logo disappears. 

3.      If successful, a grey NOOK Logo will appear and the screen will refresh momentarily and flash yellow. A prompt will appear asking if you would like to perform a “Factory Reset,” Tap the "NOOK Home key" to confirm. Tap the "Home key" again to begin the process.

4.      After a few minutes your device will reset and re-install all necessary software. Once completed, you will have to register the device again.

my hate is constant and sharp and i do not hope for a better world for anyone in fact i want my pain to be inflicted on others
Contributor
Rjs7
0 Kudos

Thanks for the help, but have done that already and still have the problem.  This started after the update.  Also have to say that having to do this step for every problem that happens, is a big pain.  Sorry to say but this is not the cure all for everything, and having to try it whenever a glitch happens is tiresome.  Still Love my Nook color and hope this is fixed with the next update, as I have seen I am not the only one experiencing this issue. I have found these boards to be very helpful, and am thankful for everyone here that have been so willing to help when I have had a question or issue.

Reader 2
SunnyDay1961
0 Kudos

This just happened to me! I've had my tablet for about four weeks and I use it constantly. I was reading just a minute ago and the screen went black. I know I had a good charge - about 80% - I pressed the n button and on/off button at the same time and held them down until it blinked off. Then I pressed the on/off button again and it turned back on. I lost my bookmark on the book the book I was reading.

Why did this happen? Will it continue to?

New User
ogd49
0 Kudos

Same thing happened to me.  Was using it (Sudoku) and it went black.  Nothing worked to get it going; holding the on/off button, pressing the nook button, nothing.  I was at 80% battery and screen brightness was midrange when this happened.  When I plugged in the charger it showed green, not orange as I would expect.  It was an unresponsive brick

Now 10-15 minutes later I showed it to my wife, she took it into a closet to determine if there was some light behind the black screen.  While there it started into a normal boot up routine and now appears okay.

It seems to have been briefly possessed by the dark side, but now has come back to me.  Strange.

New User
barnesandnoble37
0 Kudos

Agree, my nook failed about a week in and keeps having new problems all the time.
New User
Carmen22CL
0 Kudos

I have a Kindle and a Nook, I like my Nook best. Having said that, I had the same problem. I archived all my books, then held down the power button until it asked if I wanted to power off. Chose yes, waited while I checked onto FB. Powered up, unarchived my books and all work, even the one I didn't archive. I think this was a some sort of recent glitch as I've had the Nook for about a year already. And for the people who didn't understand your frustration and anger I hope they learn to be kinder. I love my Nook and I felt all of the same anger and frustration that you did. I sincerely hope that by now you have resolved this issue - I see it's quite old by now (Dec 28th 2012) and I hope you have encountered more kindness than misunderstanding from those who I hoped helped.
New User
Carmen22CL
0 Kudos

Please allow others to vent, what do you call your device when it ceases to work as it should? I love my Nook, but when this happened to me, I felt the anger. Luckily I finally found the answer, but during those few days while I looked for the answer - I was not above calling the thing I love a piece of Smokey Bear Scat.