Contributor
Electrikkoolaid
0 Kudos

If NookColor goes fully dead, is it toast?

I was told by a tech support person at our local big box electronics retailer that if the NookColor goes completely flat, it can not be restarted.

Is this true?

With only one (propietary) cord to charge the unit with, I'm concerned that a silly mistake can leave me with a $250 brick.

Contributor
Electrikkoolaid
0 Kudos

Re: If NookColor goes fully dead, is it toast?

I guess the lack of response from B&N staff tells me all I need to know about the veracity of the claim.

Shame.  The thing is really cool too.

Frequent Contributor
cssathya
0 Kudos

I think to be fair to them, you should wait for more than 3 hours for a response. Hopefully they'll respond shortly. They seem to be quite active in this forum and probably just didn't get a chance to get to you.

Nook_Engineer

Absolutely not.  Just plug the NOOKcolor into the provided charger and it'll boot once the battery has sufficiently charged.

-Jeffrey

Correspondent
MrToy
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I wouldn't expect a low paid big box store employee to have reliable technical knowledge.

Generally speaking, completely draining a rechargable battery from time to time acually helps extend batery life.

Wordsmith
Tim40744
0 Kudos

MrToy wrote:

I wouldn't expect a low paid big box store employee to have reliable technical knowledge.

Generally speaking, completely draining a rechargable battery from time to time acually helps extend batery life.

Lithium polymer batteries should absolutely not be completely drained. They can be damaged or even made unusable.

Correspondent
MrToy
0 Kudos

Tim40744 wrote:

Lithium polymer batteries should absolutely not be completely drained. They can be damaged or even made unusable.

I'm confused. According to the Nook Color manual the NC has a lithium-ion battery, then the next sentence says to avoid completely draining the battery.

Every other device I own with a lithium battery recommends a complete discharge from time to time to extend battery life.

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

This was the case with Nickel Cadmium (NiCad) batteries which had a memory issue-you had to fully discharge them or they would start to have decreased usable capacity.  To my knowledge it is not the case with the LiOn ones.  They aren't to be regularly discharged and fully recharged like NiCads.

I would listen to Nook_Engineer regarding any other info on them and the NOOKcolor.  I know that as he has said with Lithium Ion batteries once they have fully discharged you need to re-charge them to a certain minimum charge for devices to power back on.  I've seen this said repeatedly.  It even states this in the User Guide.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Frequent Contributor
mareofearth
0 Kudos

From long experience with portable electronics that use Lithium Ion batteries, the internal circuitry of the battery usually prevents the aforementioned complete discharge. The electronic device usually shuts down at a specified voltage level, thus allowing it to preserve itself for a period of time if immediate recharging is not possible. Place it on the charger, let it charge all the way, then power on.

Insanity doesn't run in my family, it gallops.
Correspondent
MrToy
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

deemure wrote:

This was the case with Nickel Cadmium (NiCad) batteries which had a memory issue-you had to fully discharge them or they would start to have decreased usable capacity.  To my knowledge it is not the case with the LiOn ones.  They aren't to be regularly discharged and fully recharged like NiCads.

I know lithium ion batterys don't suffer from memory effects like ni-cads. However, I have owners manuals for my phone, camera and mp3 player which all recommend completely draining the battery OCCASIONALY to make the batteries last longer. They also say if battery life between chargings has grown shorter, completely draining and recharging three times will help restore  longer life. I have proven this works with my phone.

Wordsmith
Tim40744
0 Kudos

If anyone finds the topic particularly fascinating, this is a good link: 

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries