Reader 4
sldonb42
0 Kudos

Is B&N just not supporting customers anymore? Can't get the right version.

Last night, I bought Learning Python, except when I downloaded it gave me version 2, covering Python version 2.3. Version 4 is also available.

Sent 3 messages to customer service, no reply at all. Called and was told I'd be getting a refund and could purchase version 4but it says I already have it.

What are you people DOING? Did I make amistake by not going for Kindle?

Distinguished Scribe
Schwa
0 Kudos

Re: Is B&N just not supporting customers anymore? Can't get the right version.

[ Edited ]

I'm not sure where CS is at fault here.  Searching for this title brings up 3 different editions.  The most current one being priced at $31.99 is the 4th edition The overview does state 2nd edition, but the number of pages confirms 4th edition... and this is providied by the publisher, not B&N). They gave you a refund for an incorrect edition.  Are you trying to purchase the same one again?

Now, to be fair, this same title on Amazon is $25.19, so at least the price is better on Kindle.

But this is NOT a CS issue.

Frequent Contributor
qballrail
0 Kudos

This specific issue may not be CS, but he's nailed it on the head, BN is not supporting customers anymore.  Sad but true.  I am beginning to really reconsider my purchase.  BN is NOT the only game in town.  Tired of being treated like garbage by these people.

"I have known some very thoughtful dogs" - James Thurber
Distinguished Scribe
Schwa

qballrail wrote:

This specific issue may not be CS, but he's nailed it on the head, BN is not supporting customers anymore.  Sad but true.  I am beginning to really reconsider my purchase.  BN is NOT the only game in town.  Tired of being treated like garbage by these people.

Oh, now that you put it that way, you are right!  B&N is not helping a single person at all, where as they used to help SOME people, but they have just now stopped helping out everyone entirely!*

You have every right to complain in a public forum, but I also have the right to comment that I have had excellent customer service from B&N.  And I'd like to state that publicly also.  Right here in this thread.

* sarcasm alert

Frequent Contributor
qballrail
0 Kudos

I never even insinuated that you had no right to discuss your good relationship with BN, or the good treatment you may have received.  That said, I should point out that I did receive good service on the store level, for the most part.  It's the E-mail & phone support that is failing dismally.

Distinguished Scribe
Schwa
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

qballrail wrote:

That said, I should point out that I did receive good service on the store level, for the most part.  It's the E-mail & phone support that is failing dismally.

Then you should have stated it that way in your post, but you went with the blanket approach. This made your statement very untrue. I'm also quite sure people are also getting some good support by email and phone as well. 

Also, I added some helpful statements for the OP.  How about you?

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure

[ Edited ]

I too want to unapologetically state I have received good CS from B&N. And as far as email CS is concerned, they actually do the best thing possible and suggest a person call. This is because the writing skills of most people today stink, especially when flustered or frustrated or in email or texting. Most are untintelligible. Person to person is actually better and allows for questions and answers, a back and forth. The main problem with all CS today is outsourcing. It's hard to communicate if both sides do not fully understand each other's information.

Anyone contacting any CS can do themselves a favor to try to help this. Write down your problems so you have notes to refer to. Call CS at offpeak times. Don't call when a lot of people will be calling like during lunchtimes. For instance, CS hours may be based upon EST, so don't call during lunch hours for that time zone. See if you can speak to someone else if communication isn't working-a supervisor, a US based agent, or even just someone else. Calm down. Accept yes as an answer. Practice patience. No refund or reversal of payment happens instantaneously. This also means it can take awhile for the system to know you do not own a book if it was being removed. Once you have been refunded your money, stop the complaining, get over it, grow up. Realize that all service is human-based and humans make mistakes. Would that we were all as perfect as some think we should be or they are, but it ain't gonna happen. Mistakes will. Read book descriptions carefully and question what does not look right. Learn to help yourself and admit the mistakes you have made that may have contributed to the problem. Otherwise, resign yourself to the fact that technology may not be for you because you will not meet it halfway. All devices and CS have issues. The grass is not as green as you think elsewhere. It is all based on individual experience.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Correspondent
KnitKicky

@sidonb42:  your comment

"What are you people DOING?"

leads me to think you are trying to communicate with Barnes and Noble. This is a user forum; you are almost exclusively reaching other users here. 

You might try posting this in the "Ask Your Community Manager" forum or private messaging Sam to reach your (presumed) target audience. 

It's a bit off-putting to users to address us in this way....it can even make some of us cranky at times!

Thanks!

Wordsmith
Serendip

KnitKicky wrote:

@sidonb42:  your comment

"What are you people DOING?"

leads me to think you are trying to communicate with Barnes and Noble. This is a user forum; you are almost exclusively reaching other users here. 

You might try posting this in the "Ask Your Community Manager" forum or private messaging Sam to reach your (presumed) target audience. 

It's a bit off-putting to users to address us in this way....it can even make some of us cranky at times!

Thanks!

It's also a bit off-putting to CS - you get more flies with honey than vinegar!

The times I have had poor CS are so rare, and far between, that I have to think that at least some of it is the approach of the person needing help. And yes, I've needed help from B&N phone CS, and they were great.

Bibliophile
bklvr896

sldonb42 wrote:

Last night, I bought Learning Python, except when I downloaded it gave me version 2, covering Python version 2.3. Version 4 is also available.

Sent 3 messages to customer service, no reply at all. Called and was told I'd be getting a refund and could purchase version 4but it says I already have it.

What are you people DOING? Did I make amistake by not going for Kindle?

You are not going to get an immediate reply from CS when you send an email.  Generally from any company.  Think of the hundreds of other people a head of you who need to contact CS, you're email is not going to go to the top of the queue.  And sending 3 emails does not good, it just clogs up the queue further, makes things go slower.  I deal with this on a daily basis with an internal system, users submit a request, it doesn't get answered immediately, the submit 3 more.  I still have to process each individual request, I don't magically know that those 3 additional requests are the same as the first one.

It's rare that I get a response from an email from any larger company in less than 24 hours.

Reader 4
sldonb42
0 Kudos

If you go to the page for Learning Python 4th edition and press Download Sample, you will get an excerpt for the 2nd edition.

This is an example of poor programming. I program for a living, so I know.

Further, this subforum is a technical support forum...so posting about technical issues makes more sense here than if I had posted it in the Sparkly Twilight VampireBook forum.

Borders is in the process of folding. B&N can only avoid following suit by providing better customer service. If they're past the point of accepting and acting on reasonable criticism, B&N may just as well replace all their books with kids toys. I seriously hope that doesn't happen.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

qballrail wrote:

I am beginning to really reconsider my purchase. 

Purchase?  Elsewhere you've claimed it was a gift.

Do you mean keeping the gift someone else purchased?

Wordsmith
gandalf1369

Ya_Ya wrote:

qballrail wrote:

I think he has complained so much that he has forgotten what he is complaning about . . .:smileyvery-happy:

**** He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins ****
Frequent Contributor
qballrail
0 Kudos

gandalf1369 wrote:

Ya_Ya wrote:

qballrail wrote:

I think he has complained so much that he has forgotten what he is complaning about . . .:smileyvery-happy:

Not that technicalities matter, I technically made the purchase with gifted money for that purpose.  Now, how about we drop the matter.   No, I have not forgotten.  All I'm getting is immature ridicule here so lets just drop it. Thank you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure

qballrail wrote:

Not that technicalities matter, I technically made the purchase with gifted money for that purpose.  Now, how about we drop the matter.   No, I have not forgotten.  All I'm getting is immature ridicule here so lets just drop it. Thank you.

Well, frankly that's in the eye of the beholder.  Your thread titles have been inflammatory and all over the place.  You post in every thread where someone has a complaint to repeat your own with some conflicting information.  You are mad at B&N for DRM because books you bought in mobi format won't work on a NOOKcolor, or because they have their own DRM scheme.  You purchased the NC, or bought it with gifted money, or were given it  and did not want to return or sell the NC because it was a gift and the people that gave it to you might be insulted.  And you chastised me for not knowing it was a gift in one of your threads, and because I thought you bought it, which now you say you did.

You think the NC is horrible because it won't read mobi, which you knew when you bought it, but that had no bearing because you were given it.  Also, because of an issue with 1.3 or with a promotion that promised incentives.  You won't do what was suggested regarding it saying you have the book open on another device or regarding the problem with the promotion, which is to PM the community manager, because that is censorship.  You were given info on how to possibly fix your books so you can read them, but that may be too technical but you might root it.

You are worried about your credit card being stored on the BN site, which is understandable, but even after being given options, you still complain about it as if they are purposely trying to sell your info to wikileaks.  Yes, identity and credit card theft are real, but others did try to help you about this.  There were also many suggestions as to how to read your mobi books.  People have tried to help you even though you came here loaded for bear.

Frustration is understandable.  But I explained that people here help others just because and the help you will most often get is from users, unless you specifically ask for it from Sam or post in the format she has requested to get her attention.  You took that to mean I believed you to be attacking me personally.  I didn't.  I just wanted you to know who you were talking to, but you chose to view it negatively.  Your posts were angry at the lack of responses to your emails, which wrongly or rightly are just not the way to contact CS, or waiting on the phone for CS-a fact of life for most all companies based upon time of day or week or popularity of an item, and you created multiple forceful irate posts just for this.  Sure, you have that right, but it does not make people want to help.  Still, you were offered help.  That is because there are a lot of good people here.  You might want to read back through some of the posts.

And now you end with thank you.  All I have to say is, "oh no.  Thank you".

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Frequent Contributor
qballrail
0 Kudos

Like I said before, I have nothing more to say on this topic.

Distinguished Scribe
normysmom

For what it is worth, I have been a Barnes and Noble customer for decades now and have always had a good experience with customer service as long as I am talking to a live person, either in store, on the phone or emailing to a specific agent in the company. The people I have dealt with have always tried to be helpful, have been friendly and kind, and have done their best to get me answers or suggest solutions. Of course, this doesn't mean I always like the answers I get or that each individual has the detailed knowledge necessary to get to the bottom of my issue.

I dislike sweeping statements like "B&N doesn't care about their customers" or "B&N treats their customers like garbage" as these statements seem to be a reflection of one individual about a specific incident that they are emotionally involved in having their "side" be right regardless of...you fill in the blank here.

This is a community discussion board where most of the users are not working for Barnes and Noble, nor have any other affiliation with the company other than being customers. The people here give their time voluntarily to help others with problems or answer questions. So, if you need to, rant, but don't be surprised if members of the community do not take it well and you get some less than savory responses. But, if you need help, ASK for it nicely and give as many specifics as possible as to what is happening and what you have tried to solve the problem. People here bend over backwards to help each other with issues that WE have any power to help with.

If you have issues with the Barnes and Noble corporation or their policies, then my best advice is to send some hard copy letters that include possible alternative solutions to the various big wigs who do have the POWER...start a letter writing campaign on your issue. If you provide the community here with the text of a well-written letter and some addresses, many will copy it off and pay the postage to ensure that more than one letter is received.<./p>

Now...I think I will head over to B&N to have a coffee and buy a DTB to help ensure that my brick and mortar store with all of its LIVE, non-virtual employees stays in business as long as possible. Have a good day!

Nothing like a fire, a cat and a good Nook!
Correspondent
tuck229
0 Kudos

deemure wrote:

...the writing skills of most people today stink, especially when flustered or frustrated or in email or texting.

Word.  This has nothing to do with the OP, but deemure makes a very valid observation. Overall, people are poor communicators in our society.  CS deals with so many people who are vague, confusing, and/or angry.  Good communication skills and good people skills go a loooong way with dealing with CS.

I once had a digital camera's imaging sensor go kaput about a year after it was out of warranty.  I can write well when I want, and I sent the camera in for repair and included a well thought out letter with it.  I was hoping to get the camera repaired at only the cost of the sensor and not have to pay the labor/service fees.  They replaced the sensor and Fed-Exed it back to me completely free.