Inspired Correspondent
ivers
0 Kudos

Re: Is Nook Color PDF Support Better than the Nook

Hi ladydd & welcome to the nook forums :smileyhappy:

This thread is a bit old and you would probably be better off starting a new topic about PDF to epub conversion, but in general I think most people use Calibre (which is a free program for managing personal e-book libraries). You should be aware that because PDF are fairly rigid and meant to present an identical page layout on large screens, they do not convert very prettily.

Whatever is on the page, including page numbers, headers, footers, etc, will be in the epub document and it can end up looking quite a hodge-podge.

I *think* it would also need to be a text-based PDF rather than image-based in order to convert it to epub.

I have read some folks think the results are a little better if they convert from PDF to html using MobiCreator, which is also free, and then having Calibre convert the html to epub.

New User
OGRule
0 Kudos

Thanks for info. Re: .pdf page turning, my nookColor is intermitant. If I swipe the screen 10-20 times vertically, it may turn the page o time. Very cumbersome. Re: conversion, I never converted the .pdf to epub. I simply connected my NC to my PC and dragged the .pdf files into the "My Files" location in the NC directory. I then disconnected my NC from my PC and accessed the .pdf files from My Files in the NC library.

BTW, my .pdfs have lots of images and graphs, but contrary to other contributors, mine display perfectly; I just can't navigate through them easily.

OGRule

New User
bubbie021
0 Kudos

When I purchased a NookColor this week, I intended to give my Nook Wi-Fi/3G to my husband to preclude sharing of the Nook.

I have a lot of PDF’s that I’d previously placed on my Nook Wi-Fi/3G and enjoyed reading them on the Nook. I own Adobe Acrobat X Pro. Some were PDF’s created from articles on a variety of topics that I’d retrieved on the Web, some were created from Genealogy Research. Others were PDF’s that I’d created from a CD containing Classic books that I’d previously synched with a Palm TX PDA, some were even purchased PDF’s.

I put some PDF’s on my New NookColor and am extremely disappointed that I can no longer Bookmark my place, nor does the NookColor keep track of the Last Page Read in a PDF. If I turn off the device, or go to read a purchased Barnes & Noble Book, the PDF goes back to the First Page. The whole purpose of an E-Book Reader is to eliminate the need to carry a bulky book and a bookmark to keep one’s place in a book.

Had I known that I’d have to carry Post-it Notes to keep my place within a PDF, or that I would have to convert hundreds of my PDF’s to E-Pub format so that I could keep my place in a document/book, I wouldn’t have purchased the NookColor and am now weighing weather or not I should return it and return the Extended Warranty that I purchased.

PDF is a universal file format. Many business people use PDF files containing hundreds of pages in the conduct of their business. US Government documents available on the Web are in PDF format. If you do not remedy this PDF problem, consumers as well as business people will gravitate to an Ipad or even to a Kindle instead of the NookColor.  Please include in your next firmware update the ability to Bookmark PDF files and keep track of the Last Page Read. Thank you.

Miriam

New User
bubbie021
0 Kudos

They removed the ability to bookmark one's place in a PDF and the last page read is not tracked. There is a "Go to" option which would make sense if one remembered the last page read and not everyone has the time or energy in our hectic lives to mentally remember the last page read in a PDF.

Miriam

New User
bubbie021
0 Kudos

When will Barnes & Noble offer the ability to bookmark PDFs and keep track of the last page read. The "Go to" option is a poor substitute for remembering the last page read. Does one have to keep post-it notes in the NookColor Cover to mark down the last page read in a PDF?

Miriam

Mark_OB1
Topics: 23
Kudos: 1,259
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Miriam,

your complaints about PDFs and bookmarking are fully justified, and many of us have been suffering with them for months.  It was a poor decision on B&N's part to make Quickoffice the default reader app for PDFs, when there is a far superior one (which supports not only last-page-read, but bookmarking, search, etc.) already on your NookColor.  Unfortunately, unless your PDF is password-protected or you access it through a web-browser (by putting it in DropBox, for example), the internal Adobe mobile reader with all those capabilities can not be accessed.

Hopefully, here will be a number of options and solutions available in a few weeks, when the App Store opens.  I expect to see ezPDF, as well as ways to select the internal Adobe reader.  There will almost certainly be a paid version of Quickoffice, that has not been crippled.  Hang in there.

- Mark