Contributor
Susan_Pettrone
0 Kudos

Is it just me, or is everyone's NOOK having problems downloading right now?!?

I know i posted this before but I am so frustrated. I downloaded a couple of books around 4 days ago NO PROBLEM but for the past 3-4 days I cannot download anything. I have the apps downloaded and all that....it works but suddenly, no downloads will go through although B&N took my $ for the downloads! Talk about frustrating...now I have to take time to call them and figure out what the heck is going on. I don't have time for this (nor do others I would dare say either) Thanks for letting me rant.....I guess B&N should be glad the Customer Service Dept is closed...I'm a bit ticked off right now.

Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

Re: Is it just me, or is everyone's NOOK having problems downloading right now?!?

Susan_Pettrone wrote:

I know i posted this before but I am so frustrated. I downloaded a couple of books around 4 days ago NO PROBLEM but for the past 3-4 days I cannot download anything. I have the apps downloaded and all that....it works but suddenly, no downloads will go through although B&N took my $ for the downloads! Talk about frustrating...now I have to take time to call them and figure out what the heck is going on. I don't have time for this (nor do others I would dare say either) Thanks for letting me rant.....I guess B&N should be glad the Customer Service Dept is closed...I'm a bit ticked off right now.

Something that is easy to try when things get quirky is to turn the nook all the way off. Wait a few seconds and then turn it on again.

Turn on your wi-fi, then tap the library icon and tap the sync button.

I think sometimes the nook, like other devices, just gets a little overwhelmed and needs to take a deep breath and start again.

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
Frequent Contributor
sewingladyNJ
0 Kudos

Re: Is it just me, or is everyone's NOOK having problems downloading right now?!?

uh, no; mine isn't.  With all the comments and complaints on here - I'm a happy camper! Thank

God!

Correspondent
AnnaKuz
0 Kudos

My PC and my phone is the same way, the first thing I try is to reboot it, done that maybe once or twice on the NC as well and it has always solved the problem. I wish I could do it to my brain too!

Contributor
kkaarraa11
0 Kudos

mine is messed up too. and if ur having issues... i recommend talking to someone in a B&N store.  I have called customer service and getting them to understand u is like performing open heart surgery... believe me

Frequent Contributor
cssathya
0 Kudos

I have worked with 3 devices over time and did not have issues with any of them.

Inspired Wordsmith
Theriot_Publishing
0 Kudos

Oh geez.  My nook works fine.

Sorry you are in the 1-3% that have problems... and yes, you are the only ones who spam the forums with your issues. 

The rest of us are busy reading on our nooks.

Behold the Glory and Grace of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Let His noodly appendage touch you. Swallow the sauce for it is the blood of innocent tomatoes. So sayeth the FSM. Pasta for Peace!
Inspired Correspondent
thans56
0 Kudos

Had my nook since dec with no issues at all. Since this last update I have several issues ESP with shelves and banding. Worries me about future updates,
Frequent Contributor
Chiclitz
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Susan_Pettrone wrote:

Do you think your firewall might be running interference and blocking transmisssions from the BN server?

I've never had a problem with downloading myself, but I've seen a number of threads wherein people bemoan this, that or another wi-fi setup. And I do know that firewalls can get plumb persnickety (what the hell?... I'm Larry the Cable Guy standin' here!) once they know you don't really know how to screw with them. For that matter, I almost always have to tinker with permissions on Firefox to get various web site doohickeys to display properly, so you sometimes don't know what your soft-, firm- or flaccid-ware may be up to until something starts looking broken.

Also, can you download the books directly onto your PC or laptop and sideload them to your NC? If you can't even download from your BN account on your PC, then I'd take a peek behind the firewall.

Inspired Correspondent
pen_name19
0 Kudos

thans56 wrote:
Had my nook since dec with no issues at all. Since this last update I have several issues ESP with shelves and banding. Worries me about future updates,
  • We got an NC in Dec, liked it so much we got a 2nd one in Jan (to avoid congestion).
  • NC-1: Never any problems.  Went thru both upgrades, still no problems.  Never had to reset.  No charging or battery problems -- yet.
  • NC-2: Had three dead pixels and the sleep/no-sound problem.  Took it to a local B&N, showed them the first, most obvious, dead pixel, and they immediately offered to replace it.  No problems since.  Went thru both upgrades, still no problems.  (From the problems mentioned on the Boards, seems like whether or not you have nearby B&Ns to go to makes a big difference.)  No charging or battery problems -- yet.
  • Only problems are w/ things that everyones has (e.g., pre-1.1, tapping "read" would often kill all web-browser windows; sometimes need to archive/unarchive mags/books; highlight/notes that're hard to remove).  Oh, well: auto-capitalisation doesn't seem to work right.  But i prefer to keep that off anyway, turned it on again just to check something in a posting, and noticed it wasn't working.

-- bye

New User
AgentOlive
0 Kudos

I'm already on my 2nd NC within 2 weeks. I returned the 1st because of issues w/ the screen refresh rate (don't know what else to call it.)

Has anyone else had this issue?

I'm saying refresh rate because the closest thing I can compare it to is on older PC monitors (think, big boxy ones) when you set the screen refresh rate @ a low level (like 60hz), it would "flicker" or seem to be virbrating or something.

Well, when I set my NC to a brightness level less than, like, 90%, it noticeabley flickers when you have a menu open. As you know, the background will dim when any type of menu/pop-up opens. When this happens, the grayed out portion of the screen has this horrible, noticeable flicker.

It was extremely bothersome to me so I returned it to the store for another. Unfortch, it does the EXACT SAME THING. I'm so annoyed. I can go get an Android tablet, run the Nook or Kindle apps and have a boatload of other features for the same amount of money spent on this NC.

Additionally, has anyone had issues turning pages? When I'm in a dimly lit room, I have no problem but when I'm @ the gym (w/ pretty strong, overhead, fluorescent lighting), it likes to just turn pages itself or simply ignore my touch.

Am I just expecting to much for my $249? *sigh*

Contributor
RubyV
0 Kudos

Shop has been down for me today.
Inspired Contributor
BayLido
0 Kudos

AgentOlive, I am almost embarrassed to say that I have had 7 of them and they all flicker to some degree.  I returned 3 before I found this forum and discovered that others had experienced this (my local store says they haven't had many returns for this).  I didn't notice it in my first one but after a couple of weeks, I began to see a flicker in the center of the screen, mostly on the home page.  I took it in to have it looked at and they gave me another one right way.  The second was really bad and I returned that one in the store, too.  Eventually, I thought if I called customer service, I might get a different batch.  It didn't seem to make a difference. 

I really like the NookColor and after finding this forum where others have said they don't have this problem, I kept trying to get a good one.  I've kind of given up and will probably keep the one I already had.  It is a little disappointing to me.  I did get an extended warranty to give me a little piece of mind.