Correspondent
crenita
0 Kudos

Is there a way for me to replace a battery in my color nook ? or do I have to send it somewhere

I am NOt having a problem but I bought a backup battery for my cell phone and wondered and it got me to thinking about battery replacement in the color nook ...

any info on this ??

Inspired Contributor
withfeeling

Re: Is there a way for me to replace a battery in my color nook ? or do I have to send it somewhere

Short answer - no solution to this issue (yet).

Search this forum, this has been discussed a lot.

Frequent Contributor
Guyon
0 Kudos

Re: Is there a way for me to replace a battery in my color nook ? or do I have to send it somewhere

@ crenita

This issue is not being addressed by B&N on purpose, or they would have answered the many posts asking the same question.

It has many of us worried and most likely will hit into their sales since no one wants to own a $250 plus tax paper weight,

Correspondent
AnnaKuz
0 Kudos

According to my local B&N store you can buy a battery (ca $25.00) and replace it yourself! Unlike for the Kindle, which you have to send in to Amazon at a price tag of $99.00.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

AnnaKuz wrote:

According to my local B&N store you can buy a battery (ca $25.00) and replace it yourself! Unlike for the Kindle, which you have to send in to Amazon at a price tag of $99.00.

Not really sure that's correct info, as a comparison of features between the nook and NOOKColor clearly states that the battery for the NC is not user replaceable.

Contributor
Profilerz

The way I understood it as of now the battery is not replaceable.  But it is designed to last a many charges (a few years worth).  It wont simply just die but possibly not hold as long a charge as years go on.  Unless there is a factory defect where you would get your nook color replaced I’m sure the battery will last the majority of owners lifetime use.  By the time the battery dies for good I’m sure a newer Nook will take over the market (something like the new 3d, high def, solar, high def sound, etc model) And most people will sync the new one from the old.  Sort of like getting a new car eventually over time, its just the way things go.

Wordsmith
gandalf1369
0 Kudos

AnnaKuz wrote:

The $25 battery is for the nook classic NOT for the NookColor.

**** He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins ****
Reader 4
alexsa
0 Kudos

Well, its probably not listed as user replacable but so are the ipod batteries etc. There are instructions on the web on how to do the ipod batteries...not easy but doable. The question is will there be someone selling the replacement batteries?

Wordsmith
gandalf1369
0 Kudos

alexsa wrote:

Well, its probably not listed as user replacable but so are the ipod batteries etc. There are instructions on the web on how to do the ipod batteries...not easy but doable. The question is will there be someone selling the replacement batteries?

Getting to the NookColor battery is doable but, as you said, not all that easy for most people.  To the best of my knowledge, right now there is no one selling NookColor replacement batteries to the general public.  My guess is that, within the next year, we will see these batteries becoming available on the internet for those people who want to attempt to replace the battery temselves.

**** He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins ****
Reader
word-addict
0 Kudos

I am disgusted with B & N for not helping Nook Color users with batteries. Mine is only 1 year and 3 months old. There were charging issues so I purchased a new nook charging cable and a new memory card thinking that maybe this was the reason it would only hold a charge for about 10 minutes before it freaks out and I have to plug it back in. I wish I had purchased an ipad or laptop instead of the nook. I saved a long time for this and can't believe they expect people to go out and purchase a new one because of the battery.
GDJ
Inspired Contributor
GDJ

This is an old thread.  Things have changed, do a search for Nook Color Battery and you will find lots of options.  There are videos online to walk you through it.  If you are not handy enough, surely you have a friend that can help. 

Also, contact customer service, although you are technically out or warranty, they may offer a refurb replacement, you never know.

Contributor
jamiecadence

Yes there is but it is too long for me to put here... google it!:smileywink:(this WILL VOID your warranty though... just saying!:smileyhappy:

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

This: Also, contact customer service, although you are technically out or warranty, they may offer a refurb replacement, you never know

I've heard of this happening and also have heard of customers being offered a discount on new Nooks.

New User
DesiSG
0 Kudos

Re: Is there a way for me to replace a battery in my color nook?

I tried and hope I didn't mess up my Nook Color. It was very difficult if not impossible with the tools and directions on YouTube to re-plug the battery in.  I couldn't even get the old battery re-plugged without destroying the battery plug end.  I'm going to try and send it to B & N and see if they can fix.  I also want to let NewPower99 know that I am not happy with their product.

New User
Woeckener
0 Kudos

Just spoke with with tech support there is no way to replace battery in nook color, but you can purchase another nook color new for $85 or a used nook color for $65.  My Nook is three years old and won't recharge unless I leave it over night and than the battery won't last long when unplugged.  I am going to check into anothe e-reader and find one that the battery can be  replaced.  I have over 326 books in my nook and it is a shame to have to purchase another nook after only three years.  If I had realized that the battery couldn't be replaced I wouldn't have spent so much money on the books.  I beleive this is just another to get more money from the consumer.  I WILL BE LOOKING INTO THE KINDLE AND OTHER E-READERS AND TABLETS.

Inspired Wordsmith
BFCoughlin

The information that the battery could not be replaced was available when you bought your NC and when you bought those ebooks.  I hope you do better research before you buy your KINDLE OR OTHER E-READER AND TABLET.