Frequent Contributor
GemStateReader
0 Kudos

Issue with headphone jack?

[ Edited ]

I have had my Nook since December, but today was the first day I tried to use headphones (I purchase a new pair for my Nook yesterday).  When plugging them in, only one speaker worked when the jack was fully pushed in.  If I pulled it out a bit, both speakers worked, but if wiggled the cord at all both speakers were cutting in and out.  I called Barnes and Noble cusomer support, and, I hate to sound like I am ranting, but was told the only thing I can do is bring it in to Barnes and Noble and test with their "test" speakers.  Well, fine and dandy, I live 199 miles, or 3 hours and 46 minutes away from the nearest Barnes and Noble!  What am I supposed to do!!

(I would like to add that I tried my daughter's headphones, and they did the same thing)

So many books, so little time....
Inspired Contributor
crabbybob
0 Kudos

Re: Issue with headphone jack?

[ Edited ]

If both headphones work on another piece of equipment, and neither work on the NC then it's looking like the NC has  a problem, unless both headphones are the same model from the same manunfacturer.  Maybe you could do overnight shipping to the nearest store and ask them to follow-up?  Or, if there's an electronics repair shop nearby maybe they can help convince B&N to just ship you another NC?

I'd start by searching the web for people having similar problems.  Maybe if you can show it's a common problem B&N customer service will be more proactive.

Good luck.  Your situation sucks.

Frequent Contributor
GemStateReader
0 Kudos

Thank you crabbybob.  No, these were totally different headphones.  I am familiar with this issue, as my son's ipod touch had the same thing happen and there were the exact same symptoms.  I may try your approach - see if I would be allowed to mail to "nearest" Barnes and Noble for them to test.  I am sure I would have to supply the return postage as well.  I just hate not having my Nook for so long!  I also dread the thought of having to return it, as this is already my second one - the one I originally had had charging issues (I am not so sure it wasn't just the cord, but they had me send the whole Nook back), and is not fun having to set it back the way I had it.  To boot, this one has charging issues as well.  While plugged in, any wiggling on the connection to the bottom of the Nook, and the charging stops.  I love my Nook, I just wish it worked correctly!  I guess I am having "technology failure overload."  My son's laptop screen went out recently, his ipod touch headphone jack went out, my daughter's blue ray player on her laptop stopped playing.  UGH!  Technology is great, but seems like everything I purchase has issues!

Inspired Wordsmith
TigerShawk

One thing to keep in mind, is that the headsphone jack is REALLY tight.  More so that any other device I've ever used.  You've got to push that headphone jack in there hard.  Your symptoms sound to me like a jack not fully seated, as I had that exact issue.

Oh, and when you try to pull it out, watch the insulator plastic on the plug to make sure it doesn't slid off leaving the plug in the Nook.  It pulls out even harder than it goes in.

Frequent Contributor
GemStateReader
0 Kudos

Thanks for the tip.  I will check it out and see if maybe not seated all the way, but I know that I did push them in pretty hard (but maybe not enough!). 

Frequent Contributor
GemStateReader
0 Kudos

TigerShawk, you are a genious.  I tried to push it in harder, no luck, took it out of the cover (I know, I should have done this first, but thought the opening gave it plenty of room - I was wrong), and then was able to push it in that extra "click."  I am VERY happy that that issue is resolved, but it brings up another question.  How can technical support really call themselves technical support when they can't even offer a simple solution like this first?  Just yesterday, I spent forever on the phone (actually, live chat online) with Sony customer support because my daughter's blu ray player on her laptop stopped working.  After 45 minutes, they gave up and wanted me to send it in for diagnostics (big bucks).  After spending several more hours online looking for solutions, turns out I just needed to wipe the blu ray lens with a cotton swab dampened with lens cleaner.  Go figure.  Again, a simple solution that customer service couldn't figure out.  Thank goodness for customer forums!!!!