New User
macbook
0 Kudos

Let's Take A Pledge

In consideration of the way Barnes and Noble has treated us in the last few days (crashing our Nooks and deleting our books), I suggest as many of as possible take the following pledge:

I pledge not to spend any of my money at Barnes and Noble

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure

Re: Let's Take A Pledge

[ Edited ]

macbook wrote:

In consideration of the way Barnes and Noble has treated us in the last few days (crashing our Nooks and deleting our books), I suggest as many of as possible take the following pledge:

I pledge not to spend any of my money at Barnes and Noble

I think you are looking for the Apple or Amazon site.  Since they've never ever ever had any problems with anything they've ever sold. 

Oh wait, iphone 4s that couldn't make phone calls, ipads with poor reception both due to the "steel cage" effect.  Amazon's cloud system that just crashed and the infamous incident of Amazon pulling books from kindles because they weren't authorized versions. 

And yes, I am certainly all for spending my money at so many other stores that prefer you have the experience of never dealing with an actual human employee in person.

One main reason I do choose to support BN is because of the selling model that they have employed.  While other retailers have chosen to act as huge drop shippers and think it's wise to employ more people in China than they do here, BN has at least tried to maintain a presence here in the flesh and with American workers in real stores. 

Do they make mistakes?  Yes.  Do some bad things happen some times?  Yes.  Name one company that hasn't had some huge error that affected their customers.

I like my NC and will support BN, will buy from BN, will go to BN stores, because I want my experience to get better and also because they have not abandoned the idea of actually employing people here.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Inspired Contributor
gkaiseil
0 Kudos

Mac does not have errors or problems!

Just opportunities for improvement.

But what causes those opportunities?

Distinguished Correspondent
Nooksie

How about a pledge to use the "Technical Support" board for tech support instead of whining?

(And you'll notice I didn't register a new name to make this post anonomously.)

Sardonic

A laurel to you Deemure...and don't forget about Sony getting hacked and PII getting stolen. Or how long it takes Apple to admit to anything...oh, Apple doesn't..it's a software bug or user error..
Inspired Wordsmith
Ed_Mart

Let's not.

New User
macbook
0 Kudos

I called Nook Color Tech support several times over the last few days.  Their response to the problems was "we have a problem with the software.  There is nothing we can do.  Turn off your Nook Color for a few days and maybe by that time we will have solved the problem." 

Tboner
0 Kudos

macbook wrote:

I called Nook Color Tech support several times over the last few days.  Their response to the problems was "we have a problem with the software.  There is nothing we can do.  Turn off your Nook Color for a few days and maybe by that time we will have solved the problem." 

Would you prefer that they lie to you instead?

Contributor
robeauch
0 Kudos

I don't have a problem with the fact that Nook's update was badly flawed. That happens. The really serious issues will hopefully be rare, but I know from my experience in the software field that no matter how well you test it, something can still come back to bite you when you release it.

I do have a problem with BN's response to the issue -- minimizing it as something affecting "a small number of customers," and offering a weaselly apology "for any inconvenience that may have been caused."

They need to look at this from the consumer's standpoint. My device, like a lot of people's (not a "small number"), was bricked for several hours, and when it was finally useable, I had to reload all my documents, music, photos, and purchased content. I don't want to hear that everything's fine as far as BN's concerned. I want to hear that they take this seriously and are actually concerned about what happened.

The utter lack of any communication is also disturbing. One post on their facebook page ... that's it. I finally got an e-mail today from BN, and hoped it would clear up the issue and take some accountability ... Nope, it was an advertisement suggesting I purchase a Nook for Mother's Day. Yeah, thanks, I'll give that some thought.

Let me be clear, the Nook Color's a terrific device and I enjoy using it. If I stop buying BN stuff, it won't be because there was a glitch in the 1.2 update ... it'll be because BN reacted to the glitch in an apathetic and condescending manner.

Frequent Contributor
lilacangel

Um, no. Never had a problem with them (as far as support goes). Not everyone was affected by the bug. I wasn't. I did dl a corrupt update file and they were good at helping me fix it. I love the update, so far. Any software will have some possible glitches.
Frequent Contributor
William-Wilson

Not a pledge I am interested in. Instead how about we just work through any issues...doesn't matter what the product is...electronis, durable goods, cars, etc., there will be some problems. That is just the way life works. Like most people I was fortunate that i didn't loose everything..and most of the features of my Nook worked during the problems that were experienced by a few ( when looked at as a percentage of the total number of Nook owners). I was still able to surf..read any books already purchased...listen to Pandora, etc. Since that time i have purchased another book and four apps. If you want to boycott BN go ahead...but could i suggest you donate your NC to someone else who would like one...or perhaps sell it cheaply on Ebay or at a garage sale. Then you will not have to worry about any future issues or problems.
Happiness is a choice.
Wordsmith
KingAl

The irony of someone with a handle of "Macbook" griping about customer relations - must be someone under the influence of Steve Jobs' Reality Distortion Field...

Inspired Correspondent
furyu
0 Kudos

I'm pretty fed up with the whole thing.  I haven't been able to get my NC up and running since the 'brilliant' tech rep on Monday told me to hard reset and I did.  I wish I hadn't because maybe, maybe --not sure-- but maybe I'd still have some use of my NC, whereas since Monday I've had a expensive paper weight.  

I understand the frustration and the desire to punish B&N for not adequately beta testing this update and causing so much trouble and upset to so-called valuable customers. That they have avoided publicly acknowledging this egregious problem and have made no attempt to somehow assuage the frustration and anger felt by those of us affected, is very disheartening.  It is hard to feel loyalty to such a company.   

Most of their customer support people are overseas, apparently.

It's true they have brick & mortar stores and that is nice.  But as we all know, those stores are

in grave danger of closing.  

WHenever I have had to call Amazon for customer support, I come away within minutes feeling wonderful and perfectly satisfied with their service.  The few times I've had to contact B&N previously --prior to this situation-- I have remained frustrated and unserved.  There is no comparison to the fantastic customer service that Amazon provides with the pathetic service that B&N has.

As for Apple... I only own their iPod (classic) and have had it for many years without any trouble so I've never had to contact their customer service.  Their products are very good.  Everyone knows that.  But of course, nothing is ever 100% perfect.

I loved my Nook Color.  I miss not having it.  I'm not sure at this point I'll ever have it again.  I certainly would not buy a new one.

Write to be understood, speak to be heard, read to grow...
~L.C.Powell

Frequent Contributor
William-Wilson
0 Kudos

REALITY DISTORTION FIELDS!!!!! That explains it.....i have often wondered how Steve accomplished what he did and now i know. I was leaning towards the Mass Brainwashing Device known also known as the iFooledYou, but now i know. :smileyhappy:
Happiness is a choice.
Wordsmith
KingAl
0 Kudos

William-Wilson wrote:
REALITY DISTORTION FIELDS!!!!! That explains it.....i have often wondered how Steve accomplished what he did and now i know. I was leaning towards the Mass Brainwashing Device known also known as the iFooledYou, but now i know. :smileyhappy:

If you read any biography of Jobs, this term is prominent... heck, it even has its own wikipedia entry :smileyvery-happy:

Frequent Contributor
JediFarfy
0 Kudos

macbook wrote:

Except it took a few hours and not days. Your point is invalid. Phone technical support for everything is terrible.

Frequent Contributor
JediFarfy

furyu wrote:

I'm pretty fed up with the whole thing.  I haven't been able to get my NC up and running since the 'brilliant' tech rep on Monday told me to hard reset and I did.  I wish I hadn't because maybe, maybe --not sure-- but maybe I'd still have some use of my NC, whereas since Monday I've had a expensive paper weight.  

I understand the frustration and the desire to punish B&N for not adequately beta testing this update and causing so much trouble and upset to so-called valuable customers. That they have avoided publicly acknowledging this egregious problem and have made no attempt to somehow assuage the frustration and anger felt by those of us affected, is very disheartening.  It is hard to feel loyalty to such a company.   

Most of their customer support people are overseas, apparently.

It's true they have brick & mortar stores and that is nice.  But as we all know, those stores are

in grave danger of closing.  

WHenever I have had to call Amazon for customer support, I come away within minutes feeling wonderful and perfectly satisfied with their service.  The few times I've had to contact B&N previously --prior to this situation-- I have remained frustrated and unserved.  There is no comparison to the fantastic customer service that Amazon provides with the pathetic service that B&N has.

As for Apple... I only own their iPod (classic) and have had it for many years without any trouble so I've never had to contact their customer service.  Their products are very good.  Everyone knows that.  But of course, nothing is ever 100% perfect.

I loved my Nook Color.  I miss not having it.  I'm not sure at this point I'll ever have it again.  I certainly would not buy a new one.

Several points:

- Every time I've called, the reps have been in the United States.

- Barnes and Noble is not in 'grave danger of closing'. The Borders situation is a small part reduced book sales, a bigger part reduced music sales (their big draw for years), and a large part terrible management of stores and money.

- From my readings around various boards, I haven't seen any nooks that haven't come back online. Your nook should have reset itself and once you register it again will work. If it hasn't been working, go to a store. If you can't get into a store, search google. It's hard to assess what might be wrong without more details, but after a hard reset, it should have reinstalled the software and you should be able to now go through the registration process.

- ALL electronics can have problems. I have 3 Zunes, all without fail. I've never called for service. This should then indicate they are perfect devices. This goes for many of my items. Sometimes, things happen.

Contributor
ThirdSon59
0 Kudos

I prefer not to overreact.....

Two things that are obvious from this are:

1) Communication could have been better.

2) Updates should be done manually and not pushed to users automatically.

I love my NC and glad I purchased it. 

Paul

Inspired Wordsmith
sandie52

robeauch wrote:

I do have a problem with BN's response to the issue -- minimizing it as something affecting "a small number of customers," and offering a weaselly apology "for any inconvenience that may have been caused."

They need to look at this from the consumer's standpoint. My device, like a lot of people's (not a "small number"), was bricked for several hours, and when it was finally useable, I had to reload all my documents, music, photos, and purchased content. I don't want to hear that everything's fine as far as BN's concerned. I want to hear that they take this seriously and are actually concerned about what happened.

You have no way of knowing it it was a small number or not. The fact that a couple hundred people maybe posted to the boards that they had problems doesn't mean that there were not thousands of people happily using their NC all week long with no problems and no idea that were problems. 

Correspondent
baby_chyll
0 Kudos

Why not take a pledge to stop whining? LOL

Wits and Confidence are the building blocks of success. I so hate whining FAGS