New User
knute
0 Kudos

Library ebooks

I downloaded a book from the public library for 21 days, but the nook won't open it until I tell it what credit card I used to buy it.  How do I tell it it's a rental from a library?

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Re: Library ebooks

knute wrote:

I downloaded a book from the public library for 21 days, but the nook won't open it until I tell it what credit card I used to buy it.  How do I tell it it's a rental from a library?

Did you use Adobe digital editions to copy the book to the Nook.  If not, you need to install ADE and open the library book in ADE.  When the Nook is connected to the computer you should see it as a location in ADE, copy the book from with ADE to the Nook.  There are links to my signature that include instructions for installing ADE and using library books.  They are written for the Nook but it should be mostly the same for NookColor.

Reader
pwhit3428
0 Kudos

I downloaded a book from my local library using Adobe digital editions and worked quite well. One heads up, to find your book it will be in the folder "My files" instead of under books.

PW

Reader
disgruntledRP
0 Kudos

I have a nook color. I have ADE installed on computer and it recognizes the nook. I am able to drag files to nook. Books appear but they will not open. Systems asks for Credit card. What am I missing?

Inspired Correspondent
3reddogs3
0 Kudos

When you downloaded and installed ADE, you would have been given two choices -- authorize its use for all devices or just for the computer you were installing it on.   If, like me, you chose the 2nd option then I would think you would need to "authorize" your NC before dragging and dropping a book onto the NookColor "bookshelf".    (In my defense, at the time I installed ADE I didn't have my NC so I saw no reason to authorize it for all devices.)   Once I got my NC I did go through the process of authorizing it in ADE and I'm having no problem opening and reading my library books on my NC.  I wonder if ADE thinks your NC isn't an authorized device and that's why NC is asking for a credit card.  (I know that doesn't sound very logical but the NC asking you for a credit card # doesn't sound very logical either.)    

If dogs could talk, it would take a lot of the fun out of owning one (Andy Rooney)
Inspired Correspondent
ladytonya
0 Kudos

The NC asks for a cc number because that is part of the DRM for books that we purchase from BN. With library books and other books that are loaded through ADE, it has to be activated for all devices and that should solve your problem.

My problem with ADE is that when I have used it, it seems to put a bunch of junk in My Files. I've only tried it for sideloading pdfs from my laptop, not for library books or ebooks purchased from other sites so that might not happen with those books. As soon as I can figure out how to use Overdrive to check out library books then I'll be testing it. I just hated how messy the file system became when I used ADE to load the pdf, I ended up erasing and reregistering my NC and just sideloading the pdf directly to the NC, not using ADE.