Contributor
nookfan2480
0 Kudos

Limit of Books in Library

I have a NookColor, updated with the latest firmware.  I am finding that @ around 2800 books, the library no longer shows any books at all.  I can still search and find all of my books, but the library shows 0.

I have 800 subfolders, and it's based off of Calibre so there is no issue with too many books in one folder, or an insane number of folders.

I see other threads related to a limit on the original Nook.

Can anyone from B&N confirm this issue and see if we can get it fixed, or provide a workaround?

I am really very frustrated by this and if I can't figure out a solution, I'll be returnign both of my NookCOlors - not a threat, but the usefulness of the device is around 0 with this problem.

Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
0 Kudos

Re: Limit of Books in Library

nookfan2480 wrote:

I have a NookColor, updated with the latest firmware.  I am finding that @ around 2800 books, the library no longer shows any books at all.  I can still search and find all of my books, but the library shows 0.

I have 800 subfolders, and it's based off of Calibre so there is no issue with too many books in one folder, or an insane number of folders.

I see other threads related to a limit on the original Nook.

Can anyone from B&N confirm this issue and see if we can get it fixed, or provide a workaround?

I am really very frustrated by this and if I can't figure out a solution, I'll be returnign both of my NookCOlors - not a threat, but the usefulness of the device is around 0 with this problem.

I'm curious...and that is ALL this  is....my own personal curiosity.

Why do you have 2800 books on your nook?   Even reading one book a day, that is almost 8 years worth of reading!  

And seriously...I am  simply curious, it's your nook, you can put on whatever want.

---------
Don
Contributor
nookfan2480
0 Kudos

if you're that concerned about the number of books on my nook, you should see my garage.  A lot are small articles or old classics, etc.  but this post isn't about that -- it's about trying to figure out how to get B&N to fix a technical problem that shouldn't be there in the first place.  I just don't want this thread off-topic until B&N comments...

Reader 4
DTSlauson

donc13 wrote:

nookfan2480 wrote:

Why do you have 2800 books on your nook?   Even reading one book a day, that is almost 8 years worth of reading!  

And seriously...I am  simply curious, it's your nook, you can put on whatever want.

Umm... why *wouldn't* you want this?  Seriously?... if I just want to keep one or two books at a time handy, I'll use a printed copy.  Like many long-time readers I have a library of several thousand printed books.

I like the idea of an eReader for one main reason: having an entire library on hand.  I'm a "promiscuous" reader.  I often have a stack of books that I'm actively reading, backed up by a library that I may reference when some question requires further research.  For several years I've been waiting for eReaders to become on-hand, on-demand libraries.  There is NO technological reason why this should not be possible today. This is one of the key ways in which eReaders could (in theory) actually *improve* on printed books.

Like the original poster, I have the same problem.  When I load up the nook with more than about 2500 books, the library function craps out, showing 0 books.  The problem is not caused by lack of flash memory storage; 2500 books uses less than half of available storage. 

I've been accumulating electronic books and documents on my computer(s) for many years now, and have about 6000 that I would *like* to load on the Nook.  But the Nook cannot handle it, and it seems to be due to some sort of artificial constraint,  due to some software bug or limitation.  I'd like to see this fixed.

Contributor
nookfan2480
0 Kudos

Nice to confirm that this is happening for others as well... I know that the guys at NookDevs have an artifical limit of 6000.... but it wont run on the nookcolor, yet.

Indeed this is an artificial limit, that is ridiculous...

Any idea how to get B&N's attention?  Talking to level 1 and 2 support is worthless.

I am thinking that they must read these blogs. I can get a review written up on engadget.com soon as well that highlights these problems.

Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

DTSlauson wrote:

donc13 wrote:

nookfan2480 wrote:

Umm... why *wouldn't* you want this?  Seriously?... if I just want to keep one or two books at a time handy, I'll use a printed copy.  Like many long-time readers I have a library of several thousand printed books.

I like the idea of an eReader for one main reason: having an entire library on hand.  I'm a "promiscuous" reader.  I often have a stack of books that I'm actively reading, backed up by a library that I may reference when some question requires further research.  For several years I've been waiting for eReaders to become on-hand, on-demand libraries.  There is NO technological reason why this should not be possible today. This is one of the key ways in which eReaders could (in theory) actually *improve* on printed books.

Like the original poster, I have the same problem.  When I load up the nook with more than about 2500 books, the library function craps out, showing 0 books.  The problem is not caused by lack of flash memory storage; 2500 books uses less than half of available storage. 

I've been accumulating electronic books and documents on my computer(s) for many years now, and have about 6000 that I would *like* to load on the Nook.  But the Nook cannot handle it, and it seems to be due to some sort of artificial constraint,  due to some software bug or limitation.  I'd like to see this fixed.

Different strokes for different folks.   I guess.   I have no desire to go back and re-read stuff I've already read.   I read mostly mysteries, science fiction, who-done-it, fantasy, action and adventure books.   Thus, once I've read them....going back and re-reading them doesn't make much sense to me...since I already know who-done-it, or how it ends or how the hero saves the day and so forth.  But that's me.   I keep about 10 to 15 unread books on my NC (and nook...which is now my wife's).

Again...just curious.   No one is right or wrong on a deal like this...just different.

Thanks!

---------
Don
Contributor
nookfan2480
0 Kudos

Do the B&N tech support people show up on the forum?  I find the online support people only to suggest resetting the device, which is not that much help in this case..

Scribe
03FLHT2
0 Kudos

they do show up here and read, but with the massive snow snafu that happen here in the east.  They are behind in support due to some servers crashing and power outages.  It still is a mess getting to work.  My wife took three and half hours to get home last night via the RR.

Contributor
nookfan2480
0 Kudos

argh! snow sucks...

Let's hope the N&N staff shows up here soon...

Contributor
nookfan2480
0 Kudos

So the folks on email and phone support cannot even promise me to enter a bug in their system for this... can a B&N representative please comment here that they can pass the word on to the developers so that this bug can get addressed?

Frequent Contributor
Phoenix2637
0 Kudos

i am guessing that there might be a corrupted ebook out of your 2800 books that made the NOOKcolor display 0 books on your library. i suggest that you sideload thos ebooks in batches and check them one by one on your NOOKcolor if you can see them. that way, you'll track down which of the ebooks is causing your device to act crazy. i know it's a painful task with the number of your ebooks but it's worth a try. let us know if that solved the problem.

Contributor
nookfan2480
0 Kudos

thanks for the tip - but no, that's not the case.  it is 100% due to the number of books, not a corrupted one.  too bad B&N can't get a bug entered in the system, it could have been fixed in the 1.1 update that just came out.