Great idea on the thread.  My info is:

Model/Brand: Linksys WRT54GS

Firmware: v6.1.52

Encryption: WPA2-Personal [AES]

Other info: G (2.4GHz) wireless mode

SSID broadcast on

MAC filtering on

DHCP server mode on

Remarks:  I used to disable SSID broadcast in the past, but enabled it when my NC would not connect to my network while manually inputting my WiFi info.  Enabled SSID broadcast and connected with no issues.  I then disabled broadcast and couldn't connect, even after my NC had my network info stored.  I've tried disabling and enabling SSID broadcast several times.  Each time I disable, no connection.  I re-enable and connect just fine. Go figure.

I know the point of this thread is to list routers that work, so I apologize in advance.  If anyone has info as to why disabling SSID broadcast doesn't work (or can point me to a thread), I'd appreciate it.  Would prefer not to broadcast if I can get this to work.  Otherwise, not a big deal.  Thanks.

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
Solutions: 4
0 Kudos

Re: List of working routers and setup

[ Edited ]

I got a new router this afternoon.  My NC connected to it immediately, and with no issues, as soon as it was configured.  It is a dual band router and the NC is connected to the 2.4 GHz band.  My 5.0 GHz band didn't even show up as an option on the connection list on my NC.  Another confirmation that the adapter in the NC doesn't support Wireless N.

Model: Netgear N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router WNDR3700

Firmware: V1.0.4.68NA

Router Settings

Basic Settings

* No login required
    * Internet IP Address: Get dynamically from ISP
    * DNS Address: Get dynamically from ISP
    * Router MAC Address: Use this address (address specified)

Basic Wireless Settings

* Channel: 11
    * Mode: Up to 130Mbps (11b and 11g)
    * Security: WPA2-PSK [AES]*
    * Security Options: Passphrase entered

Advanced Wireless Settings

* WPS Settings: Keep existing wireless settings
    * Wireless Card Access List (MAC Address Filtering): Disabled

Other Settings: Currently set to defaults

My NC is now blazing fast when connected to WiFi.  I purchased an ebook from the NC store and once I input my password, it processed my purchase and downloaded my ebook in no more than 10 seconds.  :smileyvery-happy:

New User
CallMeGideon
0 Kudos

Does anyone have any information on the LinkSys WCG200-CC?  My Nook will connect to the B&N hotspot (in store), to a friend's internet and a local network that happened to be unlocked.  The device connects to my router but does not seem to push through to the internet.  I cannot even browse for books on my Nook.  My current router settings are:

Hardware Version:1.2b
Serial Number:KBG5506243
Firmware Version:2.0.3.9.31-1022
Operating Mode:Residential Gateway
System Up-Time:4 days 23h:32m:40s
Date:Mon Jan 31 2011
Time:20:38:45

I am transmitting to channel 6 with security set to WPA (Higher).  I have SSID broadcast enabled and MAC address filtering disabled. 

Distinguished Wordsmith
1katie
0 Kudos

Model/Brand: Cisco Valet 2010

Model: M10

Wireless N-router

Firmware: 2.0.03 Build 4

Software Version 1.3.11069.2

Connection Type: DHCP

SSID Broadcast enabled

WPA2/WPA mixed mode

Mac Filtering Disabled

Bought this last year when I replaced my laptop.  Came highly recommended especially for the non techy savvy.  Of note, on the box under min sys requiements: Max performance derived from IEEE Standard 802.11 specs.  Occasionally had some connection issues in general, which would force me to reboot, but changed some of the settings with cisco CS and ok now.  Also, with new purchase you get free CS for one year.  There are some language barriers at times, however, if your patient, their quite good at what they do and usually solve the problem.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
Distinguished Wordsmith
1katie
0 Kudos

1katie wrote:

Model/Brand: Cisco Valet 2010

Model: M10

Wireless N-router

Firmware: 2.0.03 Build 4

Software Version 1.3.11069.2

Connection Type: DHCP

SSID Broadcast enabled

WPA2/WPA mixed mode

Mac Filtering Disabled

Bought this last year when I replaced my laptop.  Came highly recommended especially for the non techy savvy.  Of note, on the box under min sys requiements: Max performance derived from IEEE Standard 802.11 specs.  Occasionally had some connection issues in general, which would force me to reboot, but changed some of the settings with cisco CS and ok now.  Also, with new purchase you get free CS for one year.  There are some language barriers at times, however, if your patient, their quite good at what they do and usually solve the problem.

Oops.  So no major problems, but have noted that sometimes you get an error message, but you just have to reload the page. 

Inspired Wordsmith
sandie52
0 Kudos

sg3594 wrote:
The NC should have come with a WARNING................Wireless probably WON'T work with routers older than 6 months. Hoping B&N come up with a patch allowing it to work with ALL routers.

not true.  My Belkin is at least 3 years old. I don't have the exact model but it's a wireless n router. I use WEP security because my laptop is so old that's all that will work. I have absolutely no problems with my NC, my Blu-Ray player or my Samsung Smart TV all connecting to my WIFI network.

And at work my WIFI access point is more like 5 years old and I don't have any problems connecting to that either.

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
Solutions: 4
0 Kudos

sandie52 wrote:

sg3594 wrote:
The NC should have come with a WARNING................Wireless probably WON'T work with routers older than 6 months. Hoping B&N come up with a patch allowing it to work with ALL routers.

not true.  My Belkin is at least 3 years old. I don't have the exact model but it's a wireless n router. I use WEP security because my laptop is so old that's all that will work. I have absolutely no problems with my NC, my Blu-Ray player or my Samsung Smart TV all connecting to my WIFI network.

And at work my WIFI access point is more like 5 years old and I don't have any problems connecting to that either.

My three+ year old NetGear Rangemax router worked just fine with my NC.  :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Wordsmith
1katie
0 Kudos

Addendum to my previous post.

My sprint wireless hotspot (phone) set up for WPA (TKIP) and absolutely no problems.  No other info available as far as other settings.  Would probably have to call sprint for that info.  I believe another use said that WPA (TKIP) not supported by NC, but I have no problems

Frequent Contributor
gordoughs
0 Kudos

Medialink's beaut of a router works like a charm for me:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0044YU60M/

New User
Rainking68
0 Kudos

I played around with the settings in my wrt160N linksys router until I could connect. I think all that I did that actually worked was to change the channels from 'auto' to one specific channel. in the router setup web page that is under wireless--basic wireless settings--standard channel. I used channel 8.

Inspired Contributor
Charles-R
0 Kudos

Model/Brand: Linksys WRT54G

Firmware: v1.02.8

Encryption: WEP 64 bit

Other info: G-only (2.4GHz) wireless mode, SSID broadcast on

Remarks: This is a 5 year old router.  No connectivity problems with NC 1.1.0 or 1.2.0.  Did have a problem with slow downloads at times, not only with nook but also with computer and other devices ... fixed by upgrading to latest firmware for this HW version.

New User
CDreams
0 Kudos

I might have found something while attempting to figure out why my CN will not connect to my router suddenly after this latest patch of 1.2 I beleive. When I look upon my DHCP list on router I notice an entry android- [and a series of numbers and NON-ASCII characters]. I cross referenced the MAC id associated with this non-compliant hostname and it is in fact my ColorNook. While my CN continually states it is obtaining ip address the router is assigning one but they fail on this crazy hostname. Could we by chance fix that problem? I would prefer to be able to edit the hostname myself on the device.

Inspired Wordsmith
MatthewH
0 Kudos

Patnet wrote:

In a conversation with tech Support via phone today, they said only WEP 64 was supported for security on all routers "nothing more, nothing less."

Some of their tech support folks know more than others, as is the case with every large company (it's the same with the internal tech support where I work).  When I was deciding whether to buy my NC, I recall asking one tech support person whether it would work with https secured websites like the web portal to my work email and my bank account; he didn't think it would work.  Actually it works just fine.

So far my NC has worked OK with most access points I have tried; I noticed it was somewhat slow with an old Linksys router (circa 2006).  Works fine with a new Netgear Router with the max speed set at 54 megabits/sec; since my cable modem connection delivers about 12 megabits/sec, 54 is plenty.

Remember: the big print giveth, the small print taketh away.
New User
scruss
0 Kudos

After much faffing about, I discovered I had a working setting for my router all along:

Linksys WRT350N

Firmware v1.04.4

Basic Wireless Settings
 Wireless Configuration: Manual
 Network Mode: Mixed
 Radio Band: Auto
 Wide Channel: Auto
 Standard Channel: Auto
 SSID Broadcast: Enabled

Wireless Security
 Security Mode: WPA2 Personal
 Encryption: TKIP or AES
 Key Renewal: 3600 seconds

Wireless MAC Filter
 Disabled (B&N support suggested I enable this; I didn't find it necessary)

Advanced Wireless
 All settings as defaults

I do wish that B&N tech support wouldn't suggest the hard reset, as it wipes everything and leaves you with a brick until you can get the wireless set up. Since no-one can prove that I was entering my wireless password correctly or incorrectly, I suggest they add a couple of lines to the support script:

• are you sure the wireless password is correct?
  • are you sure the wireless password is correct?

:smileywink:

--
Hug a wind turbine today!
Reader 2
mlmrw
0 Kudos

Model: Netgear DGN1000 (modem/router)

Updated firmware

Deleted spaces/charcters from SSID name

Set encryption to WPA-Personal (AES)

Changed mode to b or g

New User
LilyofLight
0 Kudos

After several frustrating hours of trying different settings for my Belkin router, setting up the SSID without spaces worked magically. I can't believe the solution was that simple. Thank you for sharing your discovery.

Reader 4
njbookworm
0 Kudos

I have the Verizon Actiontec router/modem.  I also have to enable SSID to connect.  I haven't seen any solution to this.  I previously used a separate DSL modem and Linksys router and had no issue.  Because I was having connection problems (old modem) Verizon sent me a replacement combination router/modem.  Have had the problem ever since.  Hopefully there is a solution out there . .

New User
TheConsultant
0 Kudos

Taking the space out of my SSID also solved the problem for me.  I have a Belkin N Wireless F5D8236-4 v2.  One would think that something this basic and peculiar would be in the set up guide.