Wordsmith
mbratch
0 Kudos

Re: List of working routers and setup

gmarie12 wrote:

Just solved my router problem--the Nook color, which uses an Android operating system, will not connect to a network if the router's SSID contains a space (for example, "ab cde"). I renamed my router so the SSID contained no spaces and the Nook color connected immediately! While it's a lot of work to change all of your other devices to the new SSID, it may solve your problem. Hope it helps!

My local B&N store's SSID is "B&N Store" and it works fine. But changing the SSID is always worth a try if other options haven't worked.

Inspired Contributor
WarBrand
0 Kudos

I have two different Linksys routers on two different networks. Both have a space in thier SSID and neither of my Nooks ( Color and Original) have any difficulty in connecting.

Linksys WRT610N Ver 2 and

Linksys WRT160W V3

using WPA, broadcast SSID.

Don't give up, don't ever give up.
Distinguished Bibliophile
phoneboy
0 Kudos

BUMP  :smileyhappy:

Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
Contributor
Runamuck
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

chibres wrote:

Sonofagun - I got my wifi to work!  I've got an AT&T Uverse 2Wire and had the same problem.  The NC Initially worked, then nada.  Dove into the forum to find help.  After much searching found a key bit of info from a helpful poster.  Go into the router settings for the 2Wire and change the security from the default WPA-PSK (TKIP) which the NC does not support, to the alternate WPA2-PSK (AES).  The contributor below says you can't "mickey" with the default settings done by AT&T, but not so.  Get the IP address from the sticker on the back of the unit.  After switching to WPA2-PSK the Nook instantly connected.  I then checked all other household wifi devices to make sure all were still connecting as well.  Good to go, thank god.  Enjoy.

You might want to re-read what I wrote.  I said, and still affirm, that you can't 'mickey' with your Uverse/2Wire Firmware/Software.  You do that, dead Uverse/2Wire router for Uverse services. 

All you did was play with your 2Wire's configuration for WiFi.  That's fine.  I have tried mine on both AES and TKIP.  In both cases, I can get the Nook Color to connect for days at a time.  Then it will just lose signal and refuse to connect no matter what you do...until you reboot the Uverse/2Wire router.

Its FUBAR'd.  There is no reason why the NC/Uverse-2Wire combo shouldn't work.  It does sometimes (as I stated and still state).  It works fine with either TKIP or AES encryption settings for WiFi.  Again....for periods of time.  But it will go kaput at some point and force a reboot.

Just learn to live with it. 

BTW, I'm posting this from my Nook Color connected to my Uverse/2Wire via TKIP.  It works...until it doesn't.  Your AES mode will also work...until it too doesn't.

Scribe
dvdcatalyst
0 Kudos

Brand: Apple

Model: AirPort Extreme (first generation wifi N version)

Firmware: 7.5.2

Security: WPA2 Personal.

I was using WPA/WPA2 Enterprise first, but had issues with my other Android devices (Augen, DroidX) as well as the Nookcolor. Changing it to WPA2 Personal eliminated all connection issues.

Frequent Contributor
Patnet
0 Kudos

Actiontec with WEP 64 - Drops (Shows Testing)

Identical Actiontec with identical WEP 64 (same passcode even) works flawlessly

Sprint EVO Hotspot with or without security - Drops (shows testing)

Contributor
iKonixx
0 Kudos

Model/Brand: 3800HGV-B

Firmware: 6.1.9.24-enh.tm

Encryption: WPA2-PSK AES

Other info: SSID broadcast on, 802.11b/g (mixed mode), power setting 10

Remarks: Nook and Nook Color both connect and stay connected. Nook is v1.5 and NC is 1.0.1

Inspired Correspondent
ladytonya
0 Kudos

Motorola cable modem/router and have had no problems connecting with everything set up like it was installed from the beginning.  Good thing because while I am technically proficient enough to do it, I hate monkeying around with settings and it almost inevitably makes something else not work!  I have too many things connected to my WiFi that work fine and I don't want to mess that up.......

I do have it set to WPA2, not sure if that has anything to do with why it's always worked or not, but I'm not touching it!

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
Solutions: 4

[ Edited ]

I've seen a lot of people complaining of issues when trying to connect to their Netgear routers, so I am posting my settings.  Some of these are default settings, some aren't.

Model: Netgear RangeMax NEXT Wireless-N Router, model WNR834B v2

Firmware: V2.1.13_2.1.13NA

Router Settings

Basic Settings

• No login required
  • Internet IP Address: Get dynamically from ISP
  • DNS Address: Get dynamically from ISP
  • Router MAC Address: Use this address (address specified)

Basic Wireless Settings

• Channel: 11
  • Mode: Up to 130Mbps (11b and 11g)
  • Security: WPA2-PSK [AES]*
  • Security Options: Passphrase entered

Advanced Wireless Settings

• Enable SSID broadcast
  • Fragmentation threshold: 2346
  • CTS/RTS Threshold: 2347
  • Preamble Mode: Long preamble
  • WPS Settings: Keep existing wireless settings
  • Wireless Card Access List (MAC Address Filtering): Disabled

Other Settings: Currently set to defaults

*  I have only had a single issue with my router, and that was with my original NOOK, after the 1.4 update months ago.  I had to switch security from WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES] to WPA2-PSK [AES].  My NOOKcolor works fine with either security setting and has connected without issue from the first time it was turned on.

New User
Nancy522
0 Kudos

I have Nook 3G/Wifi and I'm can't connect to my router.  I'm afraid if I change the settings in the router my Laptop won't be able to connect?  Any thoughts on that?

Distinguished Bibliophile
phoneboy
0 Kudos

If you are comfortable with changing wifi settings on your lap top you should be ok. Write down router settings d4 you change anything in case you have to go back. If your not comfortable maybe ask a friend that is to help. Lots of info on these boards try searching Wifi and browse. You c also list your route here. Maybe someonee has already done the setup and can help. Try and be patient. Wen you get it connected you will be smilin er to ear. :smileyhappy:
Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
Reader
sg3594
0 Kudos

I have tried every possible suggestion made in these threads. I FINALLY got an internet connection by changing these 2 setting on my NetGear router. Changed the Mode to "up to 54 mbps" and changed Security Options to "WPA2-PSK [AES]" Honestly I don't know enough about routers to know what these settings will change, but there you have it. The NC should have come with a WARNING................Wireless probably WON'T work with routers older than 6 months. Hoping B&N come up with a patch allowing it to work with ALL routers.
Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
0 Kudos

My router is 2-3 years old, and my NC latched on to it, first try.  

Old firmware, too.   :smileyvery-happy:

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Wordsmith
gandalf1369
0 Kudos

sg3594 wrote:
. . .  The NC should have come with a WARNING................Wireless probably WON'T work with routers older than 6 months. Hoping B&N come up with a patch allowing it to work with ALL routers.

My NookColor connects just fine to my router and wireless access point and both are at least 4 years old.  I really think most of the problems with connecting wirelessly with the NookColor (and the nook classic) are simply due to a lot of people not understanding wi-fi and the various settings for security and connectivity.

**** He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins ****
Frequent Contributor
Patnet
0 Kudos

Sprint HTC EVO 4G Hotspot does not work and per tech support is not supported. 3G works fine.

Frequent Contributor
Patnet
0 Kudos

In a conversation with tech Support via phone today, they said only WEP 64 was supported for security on all routers "nothing more, nothing less."

Inspired Contributor
withfeeling
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

That's certainly not true. Lots of us are using various forms of router security. I am connected with WPA2.

Also, maybe I misunderstand, but I can't imagine why the mode of tethering to your cell phone is related to what kind of network the phone is connecting to the cell network.

Is it possible that the phone doesn't allow tethering on 4G, or is changes its mode of tethering (ad-hoc vs. infrastructure) based on 3G vs 4G?

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Patnet wrote:

In a conversation with tech Support via phone today, they said only WEP 64 was supported for security on all routers "nothing more, nothing less."

My guess is that they only guarantee it will work this way.

Which is a little odd, because isn't it with WEP that most of the users having trouble are having trouble?

Frequent Contributor
Patnet
0 Kudos

Also, maybe I misunderstand, but I can't imagine why the mode of tethering to your cell phone is related to what kind of network the phone is connecting to the cell network.

>>That's what I would have thought too.

Is it possible that the phone doesn't allow tethering on 4G, or is changes its mode of tethering (ad-hoc vs. infrastructure) based on 3G vs 4G?

>> It's allowed--you pay extra for tethering. I don't know how the tethering works in a classic router sense. The phone acts as a wi-fi router. There aren't any configurable options other than security and there's no WEP 64, only 128. Sprint said they would investigate and call me back yesterday, which they didn't do.

I asked BN tech support why they thought 4G wasn't supported and wouldn't work and said this was all they knew and would report it to a developer. They refused to give me any technical details for me to report to Sprint. They also said that if the NC woks in a BN store that that was the extent of what they were promising and evertthing else was down to the ISP or router manufacturer.

Tha

Inspired Contributor
withfeeling
0 Kudos

I hope you figure this out, either how to make this work, or why it will never, ever work.

However, I can't say I am particularly surprised that two pieces of "bleeding edge" technology don't exactly play nice with each other at all times.