Wordsmith
watchingDclock

List of working routers and setup

[ Edited ]

With all the threads regarding wifi issues, thought maybe a thread about which routers are explicitly working well with the Nook Color may be helpful to some who are trying to troubleshoot and/or shopping for a router.

If adding info, please include at a minimum, the brand, model, firmware version, and encryption method you're using. You can find all this info in your router settings. And if someone else has already listed the router you're using, please add your info anyway as it helps to confirm other people's successes.

Also, it'd be great if this thread could be kept clean of any personal questions/issues, but obviously I'm not a mod so do whatever you want. lol.

----------------------------------------

Model/Brand: Linksys WRT54G

Firmware: v8.00.2

Encryption: WPA2-Personal [AES]

Other info: G-only (2.4GHz) wireless mode, SSID broadcast on, MAC filtering off, DHCP server mode on, MTU auto, DMZ/DDNS/port forwarding on (if you're not running a Web server, just leave these off)

Remarks: Nook Color had no wifi issues with either 1.0.0 or 1.0.1

Wordsmith
mbratch

Re: List of working routers and setup

[ Edited ]

Great idea!

Model/Brand: D-Link WBR-2310

Firmware: v1.05

Encryption: WEP Basic 128-bit

Other info: 

Auto channel scan enabled.

"Super G Mode" enabled, set to "Super G without Turbo" (whatever that means)

SSID broadcast is on

DHCP server mode is on, lease time is 180 minutes

MAC filtering off

Universal Plug-n-Play (UPnP) enabled

Port forwarding is on

Remarks: Nook Color had no wifi issues with either 1.0.0 or 1.0.1; The NC turns off the wireless when it goes to sleep and has to reconnect itself after waking up. The reconnect process takes about a minute. I don't recall if this behavior existed in 1.0.0 however.

Inspired Scribe
riffrafff

Model/Brand: LinkSys WRT54GL

Firmware: v4.30.13

Wireless Network Mode: Mixed (B & G)

SSID Broadcast: Enabled

Encryption: WEP 64-bit (yeah, I know...I don't care. Where I live, I'll see them out there with a Pringles can)

SES: Inactive

MAC Filter: Disabled

Other info: This is with NC firmware v1.0.0...still waiting to see when the new version automagically downloads.  :smileyvery-happy:

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Wordsmith
mbratch

[ Edited ]

Maybe others should post even if their NC wireless has issues. Maybe we'll spot a pattern. :smileyhappy:

Scribe
03FLHT2

WRT610N  WPA/WPA2

SPI Firewall enabled

Filter Anonymous Internet Requests

Filter IDENT (Port 113)

SIP ALG  Enabled

Home Network Defende Enabled

Upnp:  Enabled

Allow Users to Disable
 Internet Access:

DDNS  Disabled

Mac Address CLone  Disabled

Works with both the Nook Classic (2) and Nook Color

Bibliophile
laurieb52

Model: Netgear Rangemax Wireless-N 150

Model WPN 824N

Dynamic IP Address; get automatically from ISP Server

Router Mac Address: use default

Wireless Network: SSID-broadcast; Channel- Auto, up to 150 Mbps

Security: WPA2-PSK

Works with both Nook Classic and NOOK Color (both 1.0 and 1.01)

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
Reader 4
JFSebastion

Router name:Westell

Model 7500 model # A90-750014-07

Encryption: WPA TKIP

Firmware: Not sure cannot seem to find it listed??

Remarks: Nook Color will NOT connect to this router but all my other devices work perfectly.  MAC filtering is disabled and my password is correct.

Contributor
Runamuck

Model/Brand: AT&T Uverse Residential Gateway, aka 2Wire 3800 HGV-B

Hardware Version : 2700-100531-006

Software Version: 6.1.9.24-enh.tm

Security: WPA-PSK (TKIP) (THIS IS THE DEFAULT FOR DEVICE)

Other info: This is the standard router supplied to all AT&T Uverse customers.  You can't mickey with the software/firmware...controlled by AT&T. All settings are default...which equals SSID broadcast enabled, WPA-PSK (TKIP) for security enabled and Mac Filtering DISabled. 

Remarks: Nook Color will connect, obtain IP address and gain access to Internet upon initial connection.  Thereafter, there is a 50/50 chance that once the NC goes into sleep mode, it will lose the ability to connect to the router at all until/unless the ROUTER is completely rebooted.  Rebooting the NC, forcing it to forget the WiFi access point, etc....none of this will restore connectivity.  Only a hard reset of the router works.  NC otherwise works fine at Starbucks WiFi, B&N WiFi and with Verizon Wireless Mobile MiFi hotspot.  Likewise, the Uverse/2Wire router works fine with over 25 different WiFi devices in the house OTHER than the NC.  The problem lies somewhere between the two devices as both appear ot function normally otherwise....just not with one another.

Wordsmith
mbratch
0 Kudos

JFSebastion wrote:

Router name:Westell

Model 7500 model # A90-750014-07

Encryption: WPA TKIP

Firmware: Not sure cannot seem to find it listed??

Remarks: Nook Color will NOT connect to this router but all my other devices work perfectly.  MAC filtering is disabled and my password is correct.

Can you get to your routers web config page? You should be able to cruise around there and find everything you need to detail your setup like the examples in this thread. That will help a lot. Right now there's little to go on to know how yours might differ from others, other than you're using WPA TKIP

Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

bump

Distinguished Bibliophile
phoneboy
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Starbridge lynx 525. SW VER. 3-10-02-0S00.A2pB022g..d20h WIFI DRIVER: 4.150.10.5.cpe2.0 MAC FILTER=OFF WPA-PSK. TKIP BAND. 2.4GHz

SSID IS BROADCAST I did have some intermitent connection trbl b4 the update. Works perfect since
Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
Contributor
tarrant
0 Kudos

Netgear WNR3500L

WPA2-PSK [AES]

SSID on

Firmware V1.2.2.30_34.0.37NA

Distinguished Correspondent
Gtriever
0 Kudos

Not a router, but a Wireless Access Point:

Netgear WG602 v2

Firmware: 3.2rc6

SSID: Broadcast

Encryption:  WPA-PSK

Mode:  g and b (802.11b/g)

Data Rate:  Best

Wireless Bridging:  Access Point

All other settings (except for Username, Password, and Password Phrase) are factory default.

Wordsmith
mbratch
0 Kudos

laurieb52 wrote:

Model: Netgear Rangemax Wireless-N 150

Model WPN 824N

Dynamic IP Address; get automatically from ISP Server

Router Mac Address: use default

Wireless Network: SSID-broadcast; Channel- Auto, up to 150 Mbps

Security: WPA2-PSK

Works with both Nook Classic and NOOK Color (both 1.0 and 1.01)

I just read of another user who got their RangeMax working by changing from .WPA-PSK[TKIP] to WPA2-PSK [AES].

Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

Some have also gotten the Netgear routers to work by lowering the setting to 54 Mbps.

Reader 2
rynchpln
0 Kudos

Model/Brand: Netgear WGR614v7

Hardward Version: V2.0.23_1.0.23NA

Firmware: V7

Encryption: WPA-AES

Other info: 

SSID broadcast is off.

Remarks: My nook refused to work with WPA-TKIP. Infact you can browse the forums and find previous comments of the usual "Connect, no internet". Worked immediately when I switched the router to AES

Contributor
BurningKeys
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I have had success with 3 wireless routers:  my main NetGear WNDR3700, my travel modem Apple Airport Express, and my old Linksys WRT54GS that I retired a year ago.  Here are the settings:

Model/Brand: NetGear N300 + 300, RangeMax Dual Band Wireless-N, WNDR3700

Firmware: V1.0.4.68NA

Encryption: WPA-Personal PSK [TKIP]

Other info: b, g, n (2.4GHz) wireless mode, Data rate - 300mbps upper limit, SSID broadcast on, MAC filtering on, DHCP server mode on, MTU 1500, DMZ/DDNS/port forwarding off

Remarks: Nook Color had no WiFi issues with either 1.0.0 or 1.0.1 NC shows 65 mbps rate; NetGear router shows n protocol being used.

NOTE: If SSID broadcast is turned OFF, NC does not connect.

Model/Brand: Apple AirPort Express

Firmware: v 6.3

Encryption: WPA/WPA2-Personal

Other info: b, g, (2.4GHz) wireless mode, SSID broadcast on, MAC filtering on, DHCP server mode on

Remarks: Nook Color had no wifi issues with either 1.0.0 or 1.0.1.

Model/Brand: LinkSys WRT54GS Router With Speedbooster V1.0

Firmware: v 4.71.1

Encryption: WPA-PSK (personal)

Other info: b,g (2.4GHz) wireless mode, SSID broadcast on, MAC filtering off, DHCP server mode on, MTU auto, DMZ/DDNS/port forwarding off

Remarks: Nook Color had no wifi issues with 1.0.1 (did not try with 1.0)

---------------------------
NT16 1.4.3
32GB uSD
NC 1.4.3
16GB uSD
NSTGL 1.1.5
16GB uSD
NST 1.1.2
8GB uSD
Wordsmith
mbratch
0 Kudos

rynchpln wrote:

Model/Brand: Netgear WGR614v7

Hardward Version: V2.0.23_1.0.23NA

Firmware: V7

Encryption: WPA-AES

Other info: 

SSID broadcast is off.

Remarks: My nook refused to work with WPA-TKIP. Infact you can browse the forums and find previous comments of the usual "Connect, no internet". Worked immediately when I switched the router to AES

rynchpln, so just to confirm, when you switched to AES, you kept the SSID broadcast OFF?

Contributor
gmarie12

Just solved my router problem--the Nook color, which uses an Android operating system, will not connect to a network if the router's SSID contains a space (for example, "ab cde"). I renamed my router so the SSID contained no spaces and the Nook color connected immediately! While it's a lot of work to change all of your other devices to the new SSID, it may solve your problem. Hope it helps!

New User
chibres
0 Kudos

Sonofagun - I got my wifi to work!  I've got an AT&T Uverse 2Wire and had the same problem.  The NC Initially worked, then nada.  Dove into the forum to find help.  After much searching found a key bit of info from a helpful poster.  Go into the router settings for the 2Wire and change the security from the default WPA-PSK (TKIP) which the NC does not support, to the alternate WPA2-PSK (AES).  The contributor below says you can't "mickey" with the default settings done by AT&T, but not so.  Get the IP address from the sticker on the back of the unit.  After switching to WPA2-PSK the Nook instantly connected.  I then checked all other household wifi devices to make sure all were still connecting as well.  Good to go, thank god.  Enjoy.