Reader
kbelle325
0 Kudos

Loading Videos/Movies Onto My Nook Color

Can I load movies onto my Nook Color? If so, what format does the movie need to be in?

Wordsmith
gandalf1369
0 Kudos

Re: Loading Videos/Movies Onto My Nook Color

kbelle325 wrote:

Can I load movies onto my Nook Color? If so, what format does the movie need to be in?

Yes - you can transfer them from your PC to the NookColor via the USB cable.  The video should be in MP4 format.  Do a search of the forums for "nookcolor video" for additional messages that go into much detail about playing videos.

**** He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins ****
Reader
kbelle325
0 Kudos

Thank you. Can you tell me how to convert a video to MP4 format? Or how can you tell what format the movie is already in?

Reader
kbelle325
0 Kudos

I looked on "My Computer" and it said the "type" was an IFO file and a VOB file. If that helps.

Wordsmith
gandalf1369
0 Kudos

Do a search for "DVD Catalyst" on this forum.  It is a "one-click" solution for converting DVD's to a NookColor compatable format.

**** He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins ****
New User
WMC1965
0 Kudos

You can use Handbrake to convert. Its free, just google it. I have tried the MP4's I have created. Now they all work on my Laptop and other devices. But when I put them on the Nook Color I have, they do not play. I was wondering if its a matter of the resolution or something. Thoughts??

Thanks, WMC

Inspired Contributor
withfeeling

Some of the other threads here or on the NC General Discussion forum have suggested parameters for Handbrake. Here's one:

Video Parameters:  -f mp4 -e ffmpeg -b 1000
Audio Parameters:  -a 1 -E faac --arate 44.1 -B 128 -6 stereo

Distinguished Correspondent
Hermes737
0 Kudos

WMC1965 wrote:

You can use Handbrake to convert. Its free, just google it. I have tried the MP4's I have created. Now they all work on my Laptop and other devices. But when I put them on the Nook Color I have, they do not play. I was wondering if its a matter of the resolution or something. Thoughts??

Thanks, WMC

The NC's screen resolution is 1024 X 600, however the maximum resolution for the MP4 video to properly play on the NC is 848 x 480. There are free software applications and ones you can pay for. I'm pretty tech savvy, but now that I have kids, I also value my time. As a result, $10 for DVD Catalyst was a fair price and the program couldn't make it simpler. I promise I don't get a portion of the proceeds. :smileytongue:

CURRENTLY READING - Heretics of Dune by Frank Herbert
Scribe
dvdcatalyst
0 Kudos

WMC1965 wrote:

Thanks, WMC

With Handbrake, there are a number of options that need to be set correctly in order for your video to work. Eventhough your computer and other devices might be able to play it, the Nook is a bit picky.

As mentioned, the video screen resolution can not exceed 854x480

The video format has to be either h264/x264/avc or mpeg4-sp, and has to be in an iPhone compatible format at a maximum of 1500Kbps. By default Handbrake is set to something called Constant Quality, which actually fluctuates the bitrate of the video during the movie, which can cause either stuttering or non-playable file mid-movie if you leave this enabled (because during faster scenes, the bitrate can exceed the maximum).

The audio format needs to be in Stereo AAC format at a max of 160Kbps

Additional options such as album-art, selectable subtitles, multi-channel audio and scene markers have no purpose on Android devices and can cause playback issues.

If you start with Handbrake, the easiest is to start with an iPhone profile (not iPhone 4) convert a clip with those settings. If that plays without problems, make some changes to the profile (one at a time, so it makes it easier to see where it goes wrong) to increase the screensize, improve the quality etc.

New User
kreece11
0 Kudos

There is software that will convert video and audio to any format.  I use Tune Convert and it works great.  You can download it online and they will send you a back up CD as well.  You will need to work with it to figure out what works for your nook, your mp3, etc.  As for nook, it does use an mp4 format for videos, so you would drag your movie to the converter from your computer, then choose the mp4 under portable devices.  There are several though, so I have found that the mp4 original (the smallest 640x480) is the best for the nook.  This is again using Tuneconvert software.  Hope that it helps.

Inspired Contributor
Badmamajama
0 Kudos

WMC1965 wrote:

Thanks, WMC

I agree. The big selling point is it's free! The NC can now  play a variety of videos including Adobe Flash, 3gp,3g2,mp4,m4v,and ogg.

it supports:

MPEG-4 Simple Profile up to 854 x 480

H.262 up to 352 x 288

H.264 Baseline profile up to 854 x 480

If it aint broke, don't fix it.

Ramblings of the Engineer, Easycool
New User
rtmt
0 Kudos

so do i have to move it from my computer to the sd card and then put the sd card into my nook?  or, do i put the sd card into the nook and then move the movie to the nook "video" file in the menu?

Inspired Contributor
RucknRun
0 Kudos

Put the card in the Nook, hook the Nook up to your PC and transfer it.

New User
AndymanAH
0 Kudos

This was spot on. Did everthing you said and finally got video on my color Nook. Thanks!

Contributor
BN_Hemen1
0 Kudos

Contributor
SunnieSeideUp

Just got DVD Catalyst- it's on sale for half off, only $9.95!

Frequent Contributor
tonyh61
0 Kudos

1. plug your nc into your pc

2. go to my computer

3 find your nook drive

4. open of your videos folder

5. drag your movie into that folder

Nook Color honeycomb 3.0/ stock 1.4.1
New User
DrG51
0 Kudos

I'm planning to do the same, so I looked up how to convert.  I ended up downloading a free program called ConvertLite. It did the job.  Now I just need to download my converted files and see what else I need to do.

Contributor
Shadow3D
0 Kudos

How do I get a full movie on my nook Color?