Correspondent
ChipPM
0 Kudos

Re: Major Glitches With Nook Color

AnnaKuz

I suggest that you spray the cloth rather then the screen. You would not want any liquid to get under the screen and ruin your Nook!

Inspired Wordsmith
yocalif
0 Kudos

I am going to ask the obvious question, understand it isn't to offend anyone.

The owner's manual tells you to fully charge the Nookcolor before use.

Did everyone with the problems related to new Nookcolor units acting eratically on first startup, actually charge their NC completely before first usage?

Frequent Contributor
jermandpep
0 Kudos

yocalif wrote:

I am going to ask the obvious question, understand it isn't to offend anyone.

The owner's manual tells you to fully charge the Nookcolor before use.

Did everyone with the problems related to new Nookcolor units acting eratically on first startup, actually charge their NC completely before first usage?

I have had three NC's that required a warranty replacement, but only one of them was due to an issue similar to the OP's described problem.  All three were charged completely before first use.

It sounds to me like there is either a design flaw or some quality assurance issues with the manufacturer if it is a problem with so many people.

I hope they get this stuff worked out, because I still think it could be a great product.

Contributor
kkaarraa11
0 Kudos

I have had the EXACT same issue.  I have taken mine back 2 times(not both to the same stores so it wasnt a bad batch) and am now on my third NOOKcolor.  It is doing the exact same thing. I will be getting a refund on my NOOKcolor and all the books I bought, which I now cannot read.

Correspondent
ChipPM
0 Kudos

Ebooks are not refundable...unless you scream a lot as one crazy poster said she had done. It was a while ago but think it was a book about birds and she claimed she'd bought the wrong one.

Correspondent
ChipPM
0 Kudos

kkaarraa11

I forgot to say that I bet all your troubles stem from a dirty screen. Clean it before you take it back and see it that helps. It IS a TOUCH screen after all. Something is touching it.

Frequent Contributor
jermandpep
0 Kudos

I have asked for a refund and they are pretty adamant about sticking to the 14 day refund rule. At least they are by phone, maybe you will have better luck at an actual store.

I don't care how many times they have to replace mine at this point though.  I'm not purposely looking for a reason to send it back, but If there is anything wrong with it I am requesting another replacement.

I hope you have better luck than me. 

kkaarraa11 wrote:

I have had the EXACT same issue.  I have taken mine back 2 times(not both to the same stores so it wasnt a bad batch) and am now on my third NOOKcolor.  It is doing the exact same thing. I will be getting a refund on my NOOKcolor and all the books I bought, which I now cannot read.

Contributor
kkaarraa11
0 Kudos

i did clean the screen. it was spotless. adn its an issue if it screws up when a speck of DUST hits it because i cleaned it

Contributor
Callimachus
0 Kudos

My Nook goes crazy in high humidity conditions.  I'm pretty sure the humidity will do it and not just a wet finger.

Contributor
PremiumCrouton
0 Kudos

I have found that sometimes with nookcolor that if the battery gets to a certain point...it will start to act a bit erratic... such as what was described.

The ones I use on a regular basis have done it a couple of times, but not always.  The closer to dead the thing thinks it is, the more random it will act and refuse to respond to you.

I have seen this happen even with the charge looked to be atleast at 50%...which I thought was ridiculous to act like it.

However, if you experience it ALL the time, not just when the battery is getting low...but even after a fresh charge, I would recommend taking it in or calling nook support and seeing about getting a replacement.

New User
firestud5
0 Kudos

Mine did it after having it 4 days and only when plugged in the wall.  It would go through book pages, email and other apps.  Also the tabs would pop in and out of the screen.  Tech support told me to take it back to my BN to exchange.

New User
ameliapei
0 Kudos

iPad has a Nook app.  Get one of those and you can still read everything in your library without the glitches.

I doubt I will get another when this dies.  Mine doesn't always do it and a hard shut down and reboot is the only thing that makes it stop.  I can go months with heavy reading, and no reaction.  Battery levels don't seem to affect it and I haven't noticed any difference in a clean vs. dirty screen.  I think it's just crappy software bugs they never bothered to fix.  They don't do updates and patches (like Apple) so we're just stuck with what we've got.

Face it, for $100 to $200 bucks, it's a pretty okay device.  I expect before this dies I will inherit the Mr.'s iPad so he can get the new one and it will all be moot.

Contributor
KayakerBob
0 Kudos

My wife's Nook Color started acting very erratically, much as described in these posts. She had installed a screen protector. Looking very closely I noticed a tiny hair caught under one corner of the protector. Removing the hair solved the problem.