New User
fosterboy77
0 Kudos

Major Glitches With Nook Color

Brand new from the box. registered easily. uploaded 60 books or so. Nook Color worked great for a little more than an hour then it began scrolling out of control. adter that it began opening books at random and scrolling through random pages. touch screen became unresponsive and i had to wait more than an hour just to turn it off. so far i havent been able to upload the software update either. anyone else disappointed?

Correspondent
Jazola
0 Kudos

Re: Major Glitches With Nook Color

I think I have heard of this before, but do not have your answer.

Try positing on the nook color discussion and/or nook color tech support boards.

Zola

Contributor
Sstipsn
0 Kudos

I am having the same exact problems! I returned the first one three days after getting it, and now this one is having the same problems! I am so disapointed! I wanted so much to love this product... did you find any solutions??

Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

Some owners have reported this bug occurring when they are charging their Nookcolor. It's not a universal issue, but it's also not a rare occurrence.

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
Reader
geisa
0 Kudos

totally disappointed and i am stuck with a color nook that does not work from my home or workplace.. first had blizzard then i was ill so b & n will not take back

Wordsmith
mbratch
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

If it's sane enough to reboot, you could try doing so:

1. Press and hold the power button until the shutdown popup appears
  2. Touch the confirmation button
  3. Wait for shutdown
  4. Press and hold the power button until the screen flickers
  5. Wait for start up
  6. Observe results...
If that doesn't clear it up, you should be able to take it back. Take it to a B&N store if you have one somewhere nearby and show them the problem. It should be under warranty. They've been pretty good about replacement in cases of failing hardware.

Reader
summersetred
0 Kudos

I had some mild problems the first time I used mine. Worked fine for a while then I couldn't open the gallery, music and pandora. I restarted it and it was fine. I had no real problems since then. I have no idea why it acted that way.
New User
Art01
0 Kudos

Found this to be a piece of junk.  Freezes and will not turn off. I have to let the battery run down.  Also, if I charge it and set it aside, in two days the battery is dead with absolutly no use.

B&N is returning money on this item.

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

Art01 wrote:

Found this to be a piece of junk.  Freezes and will not turn off. I have to let the battery run down.  Also, if I charge it and set it aside, in two days the battery is dead with absolutly no use.

B&N is returning money on this item.

And we are so impressed because apparently you are able to return an item.  Who really needed to know this?  Yours apparently was defective.  It happens and mature people deal with it.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
New User
CindyK51
0 Kudos

I am having similar issues.  Last night pages started flashing randomly, and the touch screen wasn't responding.  The unit wouldn't turn off.  It was on for hours, and then I went to bed. 

When I plugged it in this morning, it was working, however.  There was also another time when the touchscreen stopped responding a few days ago.  I have had the nook color for only 9 days.  I love it, but it's definitely glitchy. 

Distinguished Correspondent
Nookycooky

This might help some of you...when the nook is sleeping or off, wipe and polish the glass with a micro-cloth...the fingerprints can cause your Nook to act up!  Don't spray with anything...no Windex, no roughness.  Be gentle and do not press hard on the glass.

All charged up and ready to go...my Nook's are too....
New User
Bradleyj
0 Kudos

i have the same thing to and my nook goes on a rampage it will even open different books and sometimes when i start it the pictures of the books coer is just gray with the nookcolor sighn on the top corner 

B&N Bookseller
MollyO
0 Kudos

Many times, as Nookycooky wrote, the screen can be covered in fingerprints. If this happens, when you attempt to touch the screen or sometimes even without touching it, the screen reads blocked sensors and seems to jump around. I definitely agree and suggest cleaning the NOOKcolor with an eyeglass cleaning cloth, no moisture. Getting the screen wet can also cause the device to jump around and/or to be completely unresponsive to touch.

Additionally, keep in mind that if the screen is warm (you've had it in an inside pocket of a jacket or near a very warm surface) the screen can have a difficulty differentiating body temperature from room temperature. This can also happen if the device gets too cold. Please make sure to check all of these things before getting too frustrated, often times it can be a simple fix that can turn a very unhappy customer into a very happy one.

Nookycooky wrote:

This might help some of you...when the nook is sleeping or off, wipe and polish the glass with a micro-cloth...the fingerprints can cause your Nook to act up!  Don't spray with anything...no Windex, no roughness.  Be gentle and do not press hard on the glass.

Molly - CRM2723
Frequent Contributor
CasperAZ
0 Kudos

I learned something about warm and cold having an effect on the touchscreen

"The NOOKcolor Aficionado"
Frequent Contributor
Bluepen61
0 Kudos

Water spray/droplets reek havoc with the touch screen producing unpredictable results. This includes wet fingers.

When cleaning, make sure it is in sleep mode or powered off.

Not all who wander are lost. ---J. R. R. Tolkien
Nook HD 8 GB, Stock Root and Other Mods
Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
0 Kudos

Emphasis mine below:

The NC does not react to warm/cold touches nor does it sense body temperature.   It uses a capacitive screen, it senses the natural electrical conductivity of your "body" (finger).   That is why you can't wear heavy gloves but can use special styli with it, same as with the Apple series of devices.

MollyO wrote:

Many times, as Nookycooky wrote, the screen can be covered in fingerprints. If this happens, when you attempt to touch the screen or sometimes even without touching it, the screen reads blocked sensors and seems to jump around. I definitely agree and suggest cleaning the NOOKcolor with an eyeglass cleaning cloth, no moisture. Getting the screen wet can also cause the device to jump around and/or to be completely unresponsive to touch.

Additionally, keep in mind that if the screen is warm (you've had it in an inside pocket of a jacket or near a very warm surface) the screen can have a difficulty differentiating body temperature from room temperature. This can also happen if the device gets too cold. Please make sure to check all of these things before getting too frustrated, often times it can be a simple fix that can turn a very unhappy customer into a very happy one.

Nookycooky wrote:

---------
Don
B&N Bookseller
MollyO
0 Kudos

My iPhone reacts the same way as the NC, I agree. However if it is in my pocket, screen facing body, it will not react to a touch until the screen cools down. Both screens have the same issue in extreme temperatures.

donc13 wrote:

Emphasis mine below:

The NC does not react to warm/cold touches nor does it sense body temperature.   It uses a capacitive screen, it senses the natural electrical conductivity of your "body" (finger).   That is why you can't wear heavy gloves but can use special styli with it, same as with the Apple series of devices.

Molly - CRM2723
Correspondent
AnnaKuz
0 Kudos

I make sure the NC is sleeping, spray the screen very lightly with a mixture of alchol (10%) and water and then wipe it with VERY light touch using an eyeglass cleaning cloth. I found it hard to get all the smudges off unless I use the alcohol mixture (which I also use on my phone's screen, my PC screen and my glasses).

I think the most important thing is to wipe the screen with as light of a touch as possible.

The only time I had trouble with a craziness, was the first time I tried to clean the screen and I wiped it too hard.

Also, you have to get used to how exactly to touch the screen. Pressing does not work, a slight tap, where you almost think you did not touch it, is all that is needed.

Contributor
Escarghost
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
This happened to me and had nothing to do with fingerprints, a dirty screen or temperature changes. After 3 or 4 restarts the nc began working properly again. I hope not to revisit this issue esp. bc I often use my nc as a sales or presentation tool.
Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

My NC did this too...but even if you think you can't shut it down, you can. You just have to hold that button down until the "do you want to shut down" pops up. Yes, it may take about 60 secs, but it does finally respond and shuts down. Sometimes I had to do this a couple times.

The first update aggravated the problem, the second update fixed it. I no longer have the problem at all since the last update.

So....my suggestion is to install the latest update. Yes, it can be installed on a wonky NC. Reboot your NC, hook it up to the computer and do a manual install. It should fix the problem.

I love my NC. I had a Nook for a year before I decided to try the NC. I didn't know if I would like it, but I love it to the point that I no longer use my Nook at all.

It's not a piece of junk. If I tossed everything I couldn't figure out how to work without some patience on my part, we wouldn't own any electronic devices at all. :smileyhappy: