Distinguished Bibliophile
phoneboy
0 Kudos

Movie Quality test.

Any 2 Nookcolor households?

I was wondering if anyone can do a side by side comparo on movie quality btwn 1.1 & 1.2

I am going out today in search of a store demo that is running 1.1

I was even thinkin of buying a new NC and returning after testing  but my consience wont let me.

For me it seems to be obvious but I want to make sure its not a "power of suggestion" thing

Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
Inspired Wordsmith
donc13

Re: Movie Quality test.

phoneboy wrote:

Any 2 Nookcolor households?

I was wondering if anyone can do a side by side comparo on movie quality btwn 1.1 & 1.2

I am going out today in search of a store demo that is running 1.1

I was even thinkin of buying a new NC and returning after testing  but my consience wont let me.

For me it seems to be obvious but I want to make sure its not a "power of suggestion" thing

I had had my NC rooted using autonooter 3.0     I un-rooted it and went back to 1.1 (because of potential issues with an auto-update OTA when 1.2 came out).    I sideloaded 1.2 and "checked it out."    Video was horrible, I uploaded a HQ video to YouTube and also looked at some websites.  (all via the web browser)  Stunk.   I had a DVDCatalyst copy of the movie "Chicago" on my SD, when I tried to play it...it was jerky.  

So I reverted back to rooted 1.1.    Movie looked fine as did the video on YouTube (via the YouTube app in the rooted NC).  

I started following the threads on the video quality issue and noted that some people had better success after they had let their NC's sit for a while then did a power off/on sequence.

Humm...I hadn't tried that.

Oh well....what's a little time.   I took my NC back to full factory reset.   Back to OS 1.0 via the 8 failed restarts and the re-install of the OS.   I then did the Power-Home button reset also.   Ok, back at "brand new" 1.0 OS.    I did a sideload of 1.2 and after it was done, waited about a half hour.   It seemed to be working just fine.   I did the power off/on thing as some of the messages suggested.

Ok, now the the "fresh" 1.2 install (remember...on top of 1.0...no intermediate updates) and checked out the movie Chicago.   Played PERFECTLY.  Wow...ok via the web browser, where last time I was running 1.2....the HQ video I uploaded stunk.   It was PERFECT.   NOT the slightest pixelated or any other issues.

In other words....a completely clean install of 1.2 on top of my totally cleared and reset 1.0 OS worked far better than the sideload of 1.2 on top of 1.1.    

I can think of several reasons that the update ontop of 1.1 wasn't as good as the update ontop of 1.0 worked out to be.    Among other things, the update on top of 1.1 *may* try to preserve configurations that shouldn't be preserved.   Whereas laying 1.2 ontop of a "fresh" 1.0 install may have avoided saving configurations...that as of yet, didn't exist.

That is a pure GUESS.    And I can think of a lot of other things that could hav caused problems, but I'd suggest you try a full reset all the way back to "original" and then try to install 1.2 ontop of that...and see if your video works better or not.

I was very unsatisfied with the original 1.2 update (on top of 1.1) but the 2nd run (exact same sideload file) is far better and I'm satisfied with it.

Could have been a quirk, or not.   YMMV

---------
Don
Distinguished Bibliophile
phoneboy
0 Kudos

Re: Movie Quality test.

Thanks don..

I'll post my resuts when/if I go this route

Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown