Reader
armychwife
0 Kudos

My 6 year old enabled the passcode and doesn't remember

Help!  My 6 year old enabled the passcode and now I can't get into my nook. She had no idea what she was doing as she was searching for a movie on the SD card.  I asked her about it and she doesn't know what numbers she pushed.   IS there a way to bypass the passcode so that I can get into my nook? 

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

Re: My 6 year old enabled the passcode and doesn't remember

armychwife wrote:

Help!  My 6 year old enabled the passcode and now I can't get into my nook. She had no idea what she was doing as she was searching for a movie on the SD card.  I asked her about it and she doesn't know what numbers she pushed.   IS there a way to bypass the passcode so that I can get into my nook? 

I believe the only way to resolve that issue is to reset the NC back to factory settings and start over, but customer service should be able to advise as to whether there is another way.  Have you checked the online user guide to see what is written about passcodes?

Inspired Wordsmith
sandie52
0 Kudos

The PP is correct. All you can do is reset the nook back to the out of the box settings and start over. If you call customer service they can walk you thru it.

Correspondent
ps56k
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

armychwife wrote:

IS there a way to bypass the passcode so that I can get into my nook? 

hmmm - let's see, you want to bypass a specific feature designed and implemented to thwart users from accessing the Nook without knowing the passcode ? You might check with CS - maybe they have a backdoor, but I doubt it - tough lesson learned -

at least you have lots of company....- search other threads -

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

I wonder if a bypass would be available if the OP booted from an outboard disk like cm7 and used a file explorer to browse the /data partition on the internal memory.

The problem would be that you'd need to mount the /data partition on the internal memory, which cm7 doesn't mount by default, so you'd need to be comfortable with setting up either the Android development kit or an SSH client in CM7 and with the partition table and syntax of the mount command. 

It's simpler to do a hard reset as discussed in the Nook Engineer's sticky, unless there's some piece of data you really, really want on the device.  All the paid content will come back, and I don't think the hard reset nukes side loaded content. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Correspondent
ps56k
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I was wondering if, as a programmer, I would have opted to create a backdoor access...

This is an interesting discussion onto itself - sort of like the unlock codes for smartphones.

I think I would have used the serial number, such that CS could see it, and then used an algorithm of today's date, so the unlock is only good for this device, and only for today.

Correspondent
ps56k
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

hmmmm - I thought there was an "edit" option in the dropdown ?   

wasn't showing... but now it is - weird -

Distinguished Wordsmith
PeterDe
0 Kudos

There is an edit feature, but it disappears after a fixed amount of time, I think it's two hours, after that posts are no longer able to be edited. Of course if you use iOS you never see the edit button.
Some people can't see the forest for the trees!

4 Nook Household, 2 NOOKs, 2 NOOKcolors