Contributor
dimples2x
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

My Nook Color freezes and keeps on automatically restarting..

Half the time, my Nook Color has this problem of freezing up (by that, I mean pressing on the screen nor pressing the hard button 'n' does nothing) and then, after a few seconds, it automatically restarts. This is very frustrating. I recently took my Nook Color on a vacation I just had, and I was not able to use it at all because of this problem. I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with its battery level, since I charged it fully before using it!

I read the release notes for Release 1.1.0, and it says it includes "General Bug Fixes". Does it include the fix for the problem I've just described? Does the Nook Color development team even know this and has this on their priority list? If not, I am very disappointed but I will surely be returning my Nook Color to the store until I hear of anything that addresses this problem!!!

=(

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
Solutions: 4

Re: My Nook Color freezes and keeps on automatically restarting..

I am so sorry you are having this issue.  I would be very upset if I was unable to properly enjoy my NC.  This doesn't seem to be a common issue--freezing and random reboots are not posted here very often, anyway--so I would call Tech Support or take it into the store and get it exchanged.

New User
AdrianConquest
0 Kudos

My daughter received a NookColor for Christmas and also has this freeze/spontaneous restart issue.  We currently have a 4GB micro SD card installed with about 70 books on it,

The software version is 1.1.0 and the Model number is BNRV200.

New User
brookeschack
0 Kudos

I have this issue too, I don't have that many books on it at all either.  It is really frustrating.

Frequent Contributor
denchie
0 Kudos

Kindly try doing this:
  1. Hold the NOOKcolor’s “Power” button down until a pop-up window appears.  The pop-up window will ask you if “you want to turn your device completely off”. 
  2. Tap “Power Off” to confirm. 
  3. Once your NOOKcolor is completely powered off, hold down the “Power” button again to restart the device. 
  4. Allow a minute for your device to start up. 
  5. You have now successfully completed a Soft Reset.   
Let us know if it changed anything.
Contributor
kristine4727

My nook color will also occasionally freeze and automatically restart. I tend to notice it more when it is not plugged in. If I plug it in it seems to do okay 95% of the time. I don't live anywhere close to a B&N, closest store is 4 hours away. I would like to know also if it is a software issue and if there will be a fix. It would be nice to be able to read a book without it being plugged in all the time.

Frequent Contributor
WTibbs
0 Kudos

Two options:

First Option:  Let the device run its resetting course until the battery drains completely (it might take a couple days).  Then put it on the charger for...we'll say 5 hours.

If that doesn't work

Second Option:  This one can be a bit tricky, but turn the device completely off.  Once off, hold the power button down for 20 seconds, quickly release, then hold for 20 sec, quickly release, hold for 20 sec, release, then hold for 20sec.   The device should start booting up towards the end of the fourth time.  When you see the dark grey N on the screen, hold the power button and home button at the same time until the screen flashes yellow.  It'll prompt for a reset of the device, so press the home key twice to do this.  Once the device restarts, it'll prompt you to register, just like you did when you bought the device. (NOTE: This reset WILL remove all files, pictures, documents.  BN Ebooks, however, will only have to be re-downloaded once the device is re-registered.)

If neither of these options work, then I reccomend taking it to your local store for an exchange(as long as you're within 14 days of your purchase date) or calling 1-800-THE BOOK

Frequent Contributor
lovemyjazz
0 Kudos

ree of us got color nooks for xmas here, hubbys has always had a freezing problem and small quirks here and there...

i finally called customer service and told her i wanterd his replaced...so they sent out a new one and hes very happy his works all the time as it should...trade it now while its still under warranty

New User
Brooke14
0 Kudos

bought 2 and have only had it for 1 day and it freezes now and then.  Sometimes when I am trying to get on the internet i just get a white screen

New User
chicoNY
0 Kudos

same problem... read my post under NC keeps recylcling...

New User
sloth_mcfadden
0 Kudos

Re: My Nook Color freezes and pushes buttons when I'm not touching it

I went to target to get my nook color and on the shelf there was a repackaged one for cheaper so I decided to get that one. I brought it home and it froze up and was pushing buttons when I was not touching it! So I tried to restart it. It was working fine for a while then it did the same thing! I thought it was doing that because it was repackaged but I brought it back to target, and they gave me a new one and now its doing the SAME THING!!!  if I return this one and the new one does the same thing, I'm NOT going to be happy:smileysad:

New User
brandy_gabrys
0 Kudos

I'm having the same problems and I have only had it a few weeks.  I will be returning mine for a new one and if the problem happens with the new one I will return it  I have never had a problem like this with my e-reader.  :smileysad:   I love everything about the nook color with the execption of the freezing and restarting...

New User
ncgabby1325
0 Kudos

I have had my NC for almost 2 years and have not had any problems with it until this latest update (1.4.2); since then, it has been freezing and shutting down.  I hope they come up with an update soon to fix this. 

Shannon