New User
mommy3reader
0 Kudos

My Nook Color won't charge

My nook said it was still charging (while it was not plugged in) then died. I have been charging it for 3+ hours and it won't power on and all I get is a flashing red battery symbol with a message that tells me the battery is to low and to connect to my charger, which it has been. The symbol on the charger is lit up, so I'm connected well, the Nook will not take the charge- for whatever reason. Has anyone had this happen?

Wordsmith
JinSC
0 Kudos

Re: My Nook Color won't charge

first, are you using the wall charger or a pc usb port?

your NC is designed to be charged with the wall charger.

After you plug it in, it should power on.  If it doesn't, press the power button.  With the wall charger it should charge in 2-3 hours.

Jeremy

Inspired Contributor
TheBeerSoapCompany
0 Kudos

Mine no longer charges either and I had to call in for a new charging cord (my third since I bought it in November.)
New User
kristindee23
0 Kudos

Ya, that happens to me too. I think it's the charger allthough it dosn't make since that it says it's charging when it's not. I need to call them. Anyhow, when you plug it in is the light green? If so, wiggle the cord til the light turns orange, then it should be charging. Also when mine says it's charging & it's not, I turn it off then back on & it seems to fix it. Hope this helps some...

New User
mommy3reader
0 Kudos

No, I knew not to ever charge via USB. I have been charging it for 2 days, with my husbands charger and mine (both of which charge his just fine). The indicator on the cord went from orange (not charged) to green (charged) after 2 hours, but it still won't turn on and gives me a red battery symbol saying it isn't charged enough to turn on.  

New User
mommy3reader
0 Kudos

Both of the cords work, my husband also has a Nook Color and he has used both of our cords to insure it is not the cord.

New User
mommy3reader
0 Kudos

t won't turn off, on, nothing- just the red battery symbol :smileysad:

Wordsmith
Droiddict
0 Kudos

Have you tried holding down both the power button on the top left side and the N nook button for a few seconds?

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

It could still be the cord, but it could also be the connector on the NC itself.  I have had bad cords and the cord I have now is not a tight fit, so if I bump it slightly it disconnects and the light goes to green as if the NC is charged.  If I look at the charging setting it says "not charging".  You actually can charge the NC using a non NC cord, or via usb, but it will take longer.  What appears to have happened is when you thought it was charging, it didn't have a good connection so it was discharging.  Once it gets down past a certain charge state (I think 20%), it will not work until brought back up to a certain charge state, even when plugged in.  I think you have to get it back up to about 40% once it has hit that point of no return, but someone else may know better.

So, even if your husband's cord is working and you plug it in, it will not work until it has charged enough.  If I have gotten anything wrong here, please correct me.  Since it seems you have tried both your husband's charger and cord and yours, there may be something else wrong here.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Distinguished Correspondent
SIGal67
0 Kudos

It sounds like your battery failed. I'd call Barnes and Noble. 

Contributor
SKS12775
0 Kudos

I'm having a similar issue.  I was charging yesterday, It stopped at 71% then began discharging.  Now when I plug the charger in, it says "not charging"..........................Have there been many issues with the chargers?  I've only had my NookColor for 6 months.  I have over 100 books...........I don't want to have to replace it!!!!!  If there is a problem with the charger or device will B & N replace it, or will I have to pay for it?

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

SKS12775 wrote:

I'm having a similar issue.  I was charging yesterday, It stopped at 71% then began discharging.  Now when I plug the charger in, it says "not charging"..........................Have there been many issues with the chargers?  I've only had my NookColor for 6 months.  I have over 100 books...........I don't want to have to replace it!!!!!  If there is a problem with the charger or device will B & N replace it, or will I have to pay for it?

First off, don't panic. It sounds like a bad cord. You could go to a B&N store, if possible to have them check the cord and your NC, but they might not have a replacement cord. If your NC is only 6 months old, it is covered by the 1 year warranty. You can call CS for a new cord (no charge) or try the store. At worst if your NC was to fail under the one year warranty, that would be replaced as well, but most likely with a refurbished one.
"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Contributor
SKS12775

Thank you, Deemure..........I called the 800 number and they are going to send me a new charger.  I was just worried because I am a disabled stay at home Mom of two girls (4 & 12) and we are living on just my husbands paychecks.  He had his boss hold a little bit each week until he had enough saved to buy me the Nook (I've been wanting one for a while now, and we couldn't afford it at Christmas)  My Nook is all I really have in the form of entertainment.  I've always loved to read, but my left hand is paralyzed, so it is really hard to hold a book.  The Nook makes it so much easier for me to read.  As far as all the books I have, they were all gifts as well.  This is something my husband worked very hard to give me, as he gave it to me already loaded with several of the books I've been wanting to read.  Because of that, my Nook is very precious to me.

Frequent Contributor
Magnolia87
0 Kudos

My wont charge as well. Just started last week doing this. It now has to be plugged in for abou 5 hours before it will turn on. The it takes another 12 or so hours before it becomes charges fully. Called and they are replacing the charger this will be charger number 4
“The more you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.”

- Dr. Seuss, "I Can Read With My Eyes Shut!"

Scribe
dfehling
0 Kudos

Magnolia87 wrote:
My wont charge as well. Just started last week doing this. It now has to be plugged in for abou 5 hours before it will turn on. The it takes another 12 or so hours before it becomes charges fully. Called and they are replacing the charger this will be charger number 4

It is quite possible that your device needs to be replaced as well. It should still be under warranty and it sounds like the battery is more the problem.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. ~Attributed to Groucho Marx
New User
mikezoid
0 Kudos

also if you replace the cord it might still not work. i got a new cord for mine and after getting it to charge for 2 weeks by putting it in at extreme angles, it wouldnt charge.

Reader 2
OlivesMom
0 Kudos

This topic is popping up all over the forum in various threads so I thought I would provide what info I have learned:

1. It could be your cord or charger. Go to your local store (my sales assistant really nice). They will test your NC with one of their cords that they know is functional. If this works, they will replace your cord and/or charger.
  2. If this fails, they will attempt to reset your NC back to factory settings. Maybe this will work. You can do this at home--instructions can be found under other threads.
  3. If all else fails and you are within your warranty period, they may even replace your NC.

As for me, my NC ran afoul at 12.5 months. You got it, 2 weeks outside of the warranty period. My battery will not charge beyond 20% despite above. I need to determine if the battery has more charge than displayed or if it really is not holding a charge. Now, I will be dealing at a much higher level than my local store. So, 180+ books purchased over the past year and I will need to decide whether or not to stay with this product or jump to the Amazon Fire. The books will still be accessible via apps on laptop and phone so not a total loss. I am concerned about the longevity of the hardware I am using. :smileysad:

New User
KimberlyO
0 Kudos

I just used the "chat" feature on the Nook support page and they are sending me a replacement cable for my Nook Color.  When having to speak with individuals where English isn't their native language, we both are able to understand each other better. :smileyhappy:  This worked extremely well when I had a work laptop from Dell. (Not slamming Dell, my personal laptop is also from Dell, but I have had zero issues in the last 2-1/2 years with this laptop.)

Anyhow, bottom line - I am impressed with B&N Nook support. This was the first time I've ever contacted them.

New User
touche_sharre
0 Kudos

I stopped using my Nook for about 4 months, and when I started using it again, it charged fine with my pc because I lost my charger. After like 2 days it will not charge, with my pc, or even my myphone charger which fits its perfectly. Everytime its pkugged ito the pc or the wall,it flashes on, oes to the setup screen even though I had set it ip already, then turns off. I don't know what the problem is and I am getting really annoyed at seeing a smiling face :womanlol: staring back at me every minute... Does anyone know what is wrong with my nook... is it my battery or is it something else?:smileymad:  

New User
DowntownAbby
0 Kudos

It turns out that Nook Color cables go bad a little more frequently than is usual for most cables. So if you have another cable with similar connectors (say, for an Android phone), try that cable and see if you can get a charge. A non-Nook cable won't charge as fast as the real NC cable, so you'll want to get a replacement ($14.99 at your local B&N).

If the Nook Color has enough charge to turn on, connect it to your PC. If the NC's memory does not show up as a USB device on your PC, the problem is most likely the cable. (I happened to notice this last fact when I was only minutes away from shipping mine back for an out-of-warranty replacement. Sure enough, a new cable made the memory visible to the PC _and_ fixed the charging problem.)