New User
SabrinaCA
0 Kudos

Re: My Nook Color won't charge

[ Edited ]

Yes! This just happened today to me Sept. 17th!  I haven't even had the Nook for a year (it was a Christmas gift) and so today, I brought it at the local Nook center at Barnes and Noble.  They could not help me and gave me a Customer Service number.  I haven't called yet--thought I'd see if anyone else has had this problem.  I did NOT drop my Nook.  It happened overnight as it sat on my bedside.  :smileysad:  Hope the fix will be simple and something that I can do!

New User
SabrinaCA
0 Kudos

This is EXACTLY what mine is doing as well!  I even went to the Nook center at Barnes and Noble and asked to use their charger to see if it was my charger.  It wasn't .  There is definitely something wrong with the unit.  :smileysad:

New User
PeterZ
0 Kudos

Mine was also a Christmas present and it failed this week.  Battery simply won't hold a charge any longer.  I fail to understand why a battery that is less than a year old and has been charged using the manufacturer's directions would fail.  Possibly a bad batch of batteries? But how do you get B&N to say so and replace it?

New User
jlkirby
0 Kudos

I was reading the other night, NC is only 3 months old, and it just truned off, no low battery warnings.  Now it will not accept a charge.  Is this a battery problem and how do I go about getting it fixed. 

Bibliophile
5ivedom

How are you charging.

Please try following:

1) Plug the Nook into the wall plug. Leave it overnight.

2) Try with another microUSB cable.

It could either be that the battery is drained and you need to leave it overnight to charge properly.

OR

It could be that your cable isn't working properly and isn't charging Nook properly.

Another thing to try (before the above two, actually) is to press and hold the power button for 20 seconds. Then press and hold power button for 4 seconds.

If that doesn't trigger a restart, then press and hold the power button and the physical n button (the 'n' below the screen) for 20 seconds.

New User
avenohmger
0 Kudos

My 13 month old Nook color won't charge any more. Cord is good, wall plug is good, just won't charge. Spent 30 minutes chatting with Nook people and basically they said

"It's out of warranty, thanks for giving us your $200 for an almost useless product"

I don't fault the lad I talked to and I'm sure when (if) his supervisor reads the transcript he will give Steven an attaboy for following company policy. 

I'm not sure what I will end up doing with it (paperweight) but I will likely get a tablet PC and download an app so I can read my BN books. I know I won't be taking a chance on crook again. I could have bought one new actual book a month for what I paid for it. "Qouth the raven, never more!"

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

What does 'Nook Color won't charge any more' mean?

Do you see an orange light? a green light?

How do you know the cord is good?

What happens when you plug it into a PC?

Did you plug it into the wall charger and leave it overnight?

Leave it overnight with another cord?

Reader
Elethra
0 Kudos

I am having the same problem this last week.  It was bought in August 2011, so I'm definitely outside of the warranty, unfortunately.  When I plug it in, the light is green, indicating that it is not actually charging.  The battery is at 15%, and has not changed since the problem started.  I didn't do anything to it.  I took it to church (because we can have our bulletin emailed to us to view in PDF on devices rather than using the paper at the church), but that day it suddenly started having problems after church and it wouldn't take a charge.  I have tried the following:

• Leaving it plugged in continuously (a week has made no change)
  • Plugged in with my micro USB for my SmartPhone, using the Nook charging brick and the phone's charging brick both
  • Plugged in to the computer with the Nook charging cord and the phone's charging cord both

I'm afraid I'm running out of options here and, like others have said, my have to get another device.  If I do so, though.  I won't be getting another Nook tablet.  I'll just get a 7" android tablet and get apps for it.  This wasn't worth it, to only have it last a year and a half.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Elethra, is it that it only charges to 15% or it charges but doesn't show anything other than 15%.

What happens if you leave it overnight in the wall charger and then ignore the charge amount and use it. Does it last like a full charge would or just for 30-60 minutes?

Reader 2
Lvmycorcor

Hi,

I have a NC too and am really tired of this. I sat here tonight reading the replies from people, and I have got to say geez! I'm not a moron.  I know how to charge something but, I have had nothing but issues with the charging of this thing.... The cable doesn't go into the housing on the nook itself tightly, And when it does go in it doesn't fit right. I am on my 3rd cable for my nook color.

AND I know how to charge something. We should not have to deal with this.

This should be a non-issue... B&N should be just telling the reps to send out the cable only (that is what seems to be breaking) sounds like no-one needs the wall plug just the cable. That is just good customer relations.  That's how you get people to come back even after they have had 1 or 2 problems with a product.  What B&N is doing is blaming and charging us.

I gotta say....

NOTHING else that I charge has ever had a problem like this.  NOTHING!  

The cable should plug in to the NC and then the wall charger and then charge.  EVERY single time. And not take 7 hours for a full 100% charge.  Having to contort the cable or the nook itself so that it will charge is ridiculous and B&N should be on this board trying to help...

No wonder why B&N is having financial problems... They have driven away their customers by ignoring them or taking advantage of them.

Sorry for the rant...

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

It's understandable. Peopel who have cable problems are frustated and it's understandable.

I still don't know whether it's cables are broken or whether some Nooks have the charging slot messed up.

Have you taken it into a store to have someone take a look?

Reader
crabby_bob

[ Edited ]

I need to replace my usb cable for the 3rd time in 3 years, and am not sure I'm going to bother.  I hate to lose the device which has worked fairly well for 3 years, except fot the brain dead cable design, but I hate to spend another $25.  If I had known about this hidden cost of ownership, and B&N's lack of concern for the problem I would have bought a different e-reader 3 years ago.  However, that's water under the bridge as they say. 

At this point I'm leaning towards offering my NC to a friend or relative who wouldn't mind buying a charger.  Of course I'd be sure to tell them about the design flaw, but if the e-reader is free they might not mind buying a new cable every year for a few years.

I've already bought a new tablet.  It's actually more of an Android based MP3 player with wireless connectivity.  It's small enough to fit in my shirt pocket and has access to the Amazon app store.  I installed the Pandora and iHeart radio apps to listen to streaming radio at work.  It also has e-mail and a web browser.

One of the first things I noticed about the new tablet was how easy it is to connect to wireless networks.  The NC had problems connecting to my wireless network from day 1.  It still has problems, but eventually it connects.  With the new device all I had to do was select my network, enter my password, and bang it connected.  I thought that was pretty cool.  Come to think of it though, every other wireless device in my home has worked seamlessly with my network.  It's just the NC that has trouble.

So far the one weak spot of the new device is the warranty.   It's pretty bad, but after dealing with B&N my expectations for customer service are pretty low.

I bought tablets for my grand daughters this past Christmas and never even considered B&N. 

New User
Amington

I have had my NC since December of 2010, so I'm also way out of warrenty.

My NC just stopped taking a charge yesterday.  I had been noticing for the last few weeks that the length of time between charges was lessening (as in I needed to charge more often), and then Saturday night it did not register accepting a charge when I plugged in.  The light was green, not amber as it would be normally when charging.

I knew I was getting power from the cord, PLUS I swapped my cord out for my daughter's and still nothing changed.  On the Nook it was not registering the charge, and I went into the red zone.

The was AFTER I kept the NC on the wall charger for nearly 24 hours, and still nothing.

I had a feeling something like this was coming, and yet I'm still disappointed.  I don't really want to purchase a tablet JUST to read books, and I would consider the 10" Nook if I had a sense that it would last three-five years from initial purchase.  I like to get the best bang for my buck, as I'm guessing so many of you do.

My last resort is to go over to the store after work today to see whether there is anything they can figure out.  I wish these came with replaceable batteries (even if they were B & N purchase only).  Oh well. 

New User
Spongebob101
0 Kudos

i have a regular nook color. when i plug it in it says "not Charging" But Before When it was completly dead I plugged it in and it turned on. but now is doesnt work with any charger i use. HELP !

Correspondent
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

If the battery has completely gone (in a short condition) it may be taking so much of the charger current that the main board never sees a voltage high enough to activate.

Baron Wulfraed
Contributor
usafa2015
0 Kudos

If you have a regular micro USB (for Android smartphones, etc.) try charging it with that. It will take longer, but if it starts charging, it means that it's your cord that is defected and you can buy a new one Here for $2.50. It is perfectly okay using a micro sd from a phone to charge the Nook, because it's essentially the same, but the Android only uses 4 instead of 12 slots (the Nook uses a longer charger to charge faster). So try that; if it doesn't work, then you need to consult the customer support and find out what's wrong. Maybeyou charged the Nook and had a power failure or surge???

Best Regards,

Igor

New User
doctorwhoJW
0 Kudos

My nook color does the same thing, it will only charge when its turned off and it wont charge while your using it. You can also buy a new charger but make sure not to buy one off amazon. Barnes and Nobles are the only company that sells the right kind.

New User
FancyReading14
0 Kudos

My Nook ORIGINAL won't charge

I got my Nook about 1-2 years ago. It's the Original but it's great and hasn't had any problems. This year I took it on my school's Washington D.C. Trip. My bus 'partner' had a Kindle whose charger fit my Nook exactly. I decided to use it because my charger was in the compartment above me. Her charger worked fine with no further problems.

When I returned home I tried to charge my Nook with my personal charger. It said to wait 15 minutes. 3 HOURS later it was still 'charging'. Don't know what to do. We called "customer service" but it happened to be a person from INDIA. They didn't help at all. What should I do?