Contributor
MyRapunzal
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

My Nook Color won't download apps!

Everytime I go to download an app I get stuck in this perpetual downloading/installing that just ends up with the app going back to having the green download bar on the app.  I have tried all the normal stuff- rebooting, turning off and leaving off for a few minutes then turning back on, archiving then unarchiving.... nothing seems to work! I have had my nook since May 2011 and have never had a problem at all, I am completely up to date on my updates but when I talk to B&N reps they want me to deregister and then reregister my device and I am afraid I may end up unable to download anything and lose the other apps I have and books too! 

Help!

Inspired Wordsmith
petesnook

Re: My Nook Color won't download apps!

You've probably already checked, but just in case...did you check your Device Info to see if you have run out of space for your B&N Content Storage? If you haven't had your NC repartitioned at a B&N store, you may need to.

Contributor
MyRapunzal
0 Kudos

I do have space but I've never heard of repartitioning- what is that? I did the deregister/reregister thing yesterday after I posted and am having the same problem. Should I go into B&N and see if they can fix it? I don't know what else to do.
Inspired Wordsmith
petesnook

When you bought your NC in May, 2011, it came with a 1gb partition in memory for the books and apps you purchase from B&N, and a 5gb partition for your sideloaded material.  Because people were running out of space on the B&N partition, B&N came up with a process to flip the storage space on the two partitions so you would have more space for B&N material.  That process is called repartitionong.  It must be performed at a B&N store by a Nook expert.  Afterward, you need to reregister and redownload all your material, both B&N and sideloaded stuff.

However, if you have space still available on the B&N Storage partition, then this might not help, but I'd try it anyway. I had the repartitioning done and am glad I did. I've used 3.5gb of the new 5gb B&N partition.  Without the repartitionoing, I would have filled up the default 1gb space a long time ago.

You say your did the reregister thing and stilll have the same problem.  Were you able to download any apps after the reregister, or are you unable to download any?

Contributor
MyRapunzal
0 Kudos

I could not download any apps but ALL books yesterday.  Today I left it on while I was at work and when I came home I was able to download all of the apps except for the last two (two different ones this time).  I am now thinking it may be a space thing and my used % might be wrong.  It says I am using 61% of the 1gb partition for B&N content but the only things I sideload are library books which I delete when I am done reading becuase they expire anyway so I am going to bring my nook with me and stop there tomorrow after work to see if someone can do the repartition for me. I *hope* this solves everything. 

Inspired Wordsmith
petesnook

It does sound like an out-of-memory issue despite what the memory indicator says. I do believe a repartition is the best bet to try.  I hope it works. Let us know.

Contributor
MyRapunzal

I went to the store, they went through some steps and then repartitioned and it works! YAY! Thanks so much!!!

Inspired Wordsmith
petesnook

Glad to hear the repartitioning worked. Now you can enjoy your NC again. And have lots of room for more apps and books.

New User
juniorLT

What is repartitioned? EXPLAIN

New User
juniorLT

what is repartitioned?

Bibliophile
5ivedom

A hard disk on a PC or a Tablet or any device can be 'PARTITIONED' into separate drives.

Like when on your PC you see C: drive and D: drive.

They are on the same hard disk but the hard disk is partitioned to be two separate drives for the Operating System.

Usually this can be done to have a separate boot drive or recovery drive or if you want a separation between data or want to use one partition as backup for the other (ideally you should get a separate drive or an external drive to backup).

It seems in Nook Color and Tablet the Nook's hard disk is partitioned into two drives

Stuff bought from B&N

Sideloaded Stuff.

IN Nook Color B&N made the 'Stuff Bought from B&N' partition very small. I've heard that it is just 1 GB or just 3 GB.

That means that it fills up very quickly. Then the 'Stuff Bought from B&N' partition is full and new stuff bought from B&N can't download.

So when you 'repartition' i.e. you say

Stuff bought from B&N partition - make it bigger.

Sideloaded Stuff partition - make it smaller.

Then it allows you to download more stuff from b&N.

Repartition = Process of rearranging/resizing/changing existing partitions.

Frequent Contributor
deect
0 Kudos

I have the same problem on my Nookcolor. I installed a microSDHC Card but have not found a way to move my apps to this microSDHC card. Is it possible for me to repartition the Nookcolor myself?
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Not that I know of. I wouldn't recommend it either. Because something might go wrong. Best to go to a store.

New User
bjk20
0 Kudos

me too

Contributor
LisaK-BookLover27

Unfortunately, you can't put apps on an SD card. Only books, audio files, video files and similar types of things. The apps have to stay on the nook. If you haven't already, you can ge your Color repartitioned, and that will allow more space. Depending on how much you have on your device, and how busy the store is, it takes 20-30 minutes. You will also need to know your email address and nook account password. If you have any of your own stuff loaded on it will be gone, but all BN content will just redownload. Go to a store and they can help you. 

Reader
ArbedConcepts

I had the same problem, read the posts and went to a B&N store in search of a repartition.  But, it turns out that wasn't the problem.  Apparently something interupted the downloads of the apps I was having problems with.  The fix - archive the app, power off the Nook for at least 30 seconds, power up and reinstall.

Although I don't sideload hardly anything, I'm not ready to repartition my drive when I still have a boat load of available memory.  I'll keep that for another day in the future.

Reader 2
Vivi_reads

I had the same problem (apps would appear to download but then get stalled in a download/install/download/install loop) and here are the steps they took in the store to solve the issue.  I could have done this at home if I'd known . . .

1.  Archive all apps

2.  Copy any sideloaded material to your computer

3.  Deregister your nook

4.  Log into your account on bn.com

5.  Unarchive all apps

6.  Re-register your nook

7.  Wait for all apps to show up

8.  Download each app

This worked for me.  Before this I had tried the same thing except I unarchived the apps via the nook, rather than logging into my account on bn.com.  Not sure why that made a difference, but it did.

Reader
26lettersAH

I am going to try the at-home remedies and hope they work since the closest store is 140 miles away.   

Reader
SheilaB104
0 Kudos

I had the same problem with my Nook Color, followed your step-by-step instructions, and VOILA - it worked!  Thank you so much!  All my apps are now downloaded and functioning :smileyhappy:  I really did not want to have to take it into a store.

Inspired Contributor
poleng
0 Kudos

If your nook has already been repartitioned and still has trouble with a book or app download, try this routine:   

archive the book/app, then synchronize (refresh) then nook /app library, then turn off wifi off/, then do soft reset (ie. hold down the power button until the screen goes dark, - ignore the "power off" screen prompt)  Now, power nook on, turn  wifi on, then  synch (refresh)  library, then  unarchive book / app. 

If no improvement, do reregistration. 

Essentially, we are assuming there is an issue with the connection between the account and the device and that is why it is not downloading correctly.  If it is a relatively minor connection issue, the first procedure will fix it.  If not, then reregister, which will completely sever the link between the device and the account and then reestablish it.