Frequent Contributor
rfbarr
0 Kudos

My nook color almost burnt down my house.

[ Edited ]

I just got back from dinner.  My nook was plugged in and charging while I was gone.  When I got back the end of the charger and the area around the mini-usb port on the nook was melted.  It must have gotten hot enough while charging to melt the area.  It was sitting on a stack of letters that looked like they had a little black spot on them.  Not sure if it was a bit of melted plastic or it was getting hot enough to burn the letter.    I almost could not unplug the nook.  Quite scary.  I am taking it back to the store right now to see if I can get a replacement.  I am afraid to use this one. 

Frequent Contributor
rfbarr
0 Kudos

Re: My nook color almost burnt down my house.

The guy in the store would not take it back.  Customer service closed a few mins before I got there.  Said I would have to come back tomorrow to try then. 

I could tell he wanted to exchange it but he was being held to B&N standards.  Nice guy.  I am annoyed at the corporate policy's you guys have.  They are really anti-customer satisfaction. 

If I did not care so much about the PPI of the Nook Color screen vs the iPad screen I would get an iPad.  Although I have a feeling I can wait two months and get an iPad with a retina display that will have more PPI then the NookColor.

Bought the device a month ago and only had a working device for about 7 days of that entire month. 

I am nervous also because other then the melting the nook was working flawlessly.  I am hoping I don't get another one with some of the other issues people have had. 

Frequent Contributor
rfbarr

Well I have a feeling the assistant manager told the Nook salesmen there about my problem.  When I came in and told the person and the Nook counter I had a melted nook she was expecting me.  They brought the manager over and he went behind the counter and got me a new Nook.  Told me the Nook manager put it together for me last night.  I was very pleased.  H

He even replaced my screen protector.  Which was a nice gesture. 

Distinguished Correspondent
yoshipumkin
0 Kudos

Haha that's awesome :smileyhappy:  Very glad it worked out for you!

Contributor
Happy_Nook
0 Kudos

I'm so glad to hear that you had a good experience.  I got home last night and my new color nook power adaptor was completely melted.  It's plug into a major battery back up and surge protector so I was really shocked.  I'm really glad my nook wasn't plug into it, but it will worry me for a while. 

I chose the nook because I'm a fan of Barnes and Noble, as a company.  So I'm happy you got the customer service, I chose them for, even if it was a little late.

Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv
0 Kudos

This is the first I have heard of the overheating issues.

I am so glad you were satisfied with c.s. and your replacement. Thank you for keeping us updated on the outcome.

Correspondent
rfruth
0 Kudos

any idea what caused this ?

N1E - HD+ soon ?
Contributor
Everlost
0 Kudos

Wow, how scary for you. I'm glad to hear that it was replaced without issue. I tend to charge mine overnight, not sure that I will do that anymore. I also have been just unplugging the Nook and leaving the charger in the wall, guess I won't be doing that anymore either.

I notice that the NC gets a little warm when I use it for an extended time but nothing uncomfortable and certainly nothing like the heat a laptop puts out.

- Everlost -
Contributor
Happy_Nook
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I also got great support when I showed them my melted cord.  The manager replaced the cord right away.  She had to call customer support in NY and they wanted to mail me a cord, but it was going to take 5 days, and the manager really went to bat for me and I got one on the spot.

I also noticed that the new power cord behaves completely differently than the old one.  The old one was always green, even when not plug into the nookcolor.  But the new one has no light when not plugged into the nook, goes green when I plug it into the nook, then it goes orange while charging, and back to green when the nook is charged.  I think the old one just a lemon and over heating and melting.

I'm loving my nook.  A little melted plastic can't scare me.  :smileyvery-happy:

New User
NookieSH
0 Kudos

WOW! Can't believe this - we went on vacation and thankfully I took my Nook with me - but left the charger plugged in.  The USB was completely melted and burned a hole in my carpet.  Glad I am not the only one.  Went to BN and they gave me a new plug (Minneapolis, MN).  They were very nice.

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout

Annoying as nookieSH's experience is, it supports the UL Category 2 listing of the charger - the devices are not supposed to be able to actually start fires, and apparently so far, they're not - they're getting things hot or scorched when left unattended, now and again, but not actually being quite energetic enough to cause ignition. 

I am NOT saying the charger is not a problem that needs fixing.  I am saying that I understand better what the UL listing actually means than I did at first. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Correspondent
ps56k
0 Kudos

WOW - now I'm a little scared just leaving the AC adapter plugged into the wall...

5v x 2amps = 10watts when charging

Heck, the laptop chargers are drawing 60 to 90 watts when charging.

The problems come from tiny breaks in the wires,

or at the special micro-USB connector

where the broken or bad connection becomes a "resistor" and heats up like a toaster.

Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
0 Kudos

Happy_Nook wrote:

I also got great support when I showed them my melted cord.  The manager replaced the cord right away.  She had to call customer support in NY and they wanted to mail me a cord, but it was going to take 5 days, and the manager really went to bat for me and I got one on the spot.

I also noticed that the new power cord behaves completely differently than the old one.  The old one was always green, even when not plug into the nookcolor.  But the new one has no light when not plugged into the nook, goes green when I plug it into the nook, then it goes orange while charging, and back to green when the nook is charged.  I think the old one just a lemon and over heating and melting.

I'm loving my nook.  A little melted plastic can't scare me.  :smileyvery-happy:

Yes, your cord was defective, what you are describing happens with the new cord is what is supposed to happen.

---------
Don
Contributor
SusanaSZ
0 Kudos

This has me worried, returning a burnt Nook from Argentina is not easy. Anybody knows if I can use another cable?

Contributor
southpawami
0 Kudos

Charger parts that cover usb are cheap plastic.  Two plastic parts already fell off on my usb cable.  If it's merely a usb to mini, then I suppose the answer is to replace the usb cable with a more durable one from another company.

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

You can use a vanilla mini USB cable, but your NC won't charge as fast.

The BN cable for the NC includes additional leads to carry the higher current from the charger to the device (the BN charger puts out, I believe, 2 amps, where most USB chargers put out in the range of 0.5 to 0.8 amps.)

The poster in Argentina who's concerned about this - rightly so - would do well to use a generic charger and cable.  (I wouldn't want to run the NC charger into a generic cable.)

A generic cable and a poweredd USB port also serve to charge the NC. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Frequent Contributor
JEB63
0 Kudos

For anyone having problems with the Nook Color AC Adapter or cord, especially those where things are melting, burning, electrical arcs are seen (fast blue flame), or even slight burns to fingers, please go to

www.saferproducts.gov/

and file an incident report.  I had a Nook Color AC Adapter get extremely hot to the point my fingers were sore after touching it.  After unplugging it and letting it cool, the adapter no longer functions.  This appears to be a pretty common problem.  Model number for the AC Adapter/charger is BNRP5-1900.