New User
dekunffya
0 Kudos

NC Gallery only opens one picture at a time

The NC gallery application works great when the picture is saved on the "on board" memory.  However when photos are saved to the SD card, the gallery only opens one picture at a time, even if muliple photographs are in the same folder.  I also do not have an auto preview, access to the slide show feature, or able to "go back" to the folder without closing back to the menu bar when the file is on the SD card.   Am I doing something wrong (nothing really listed in the manual)?

I see lots of comments on purchasing an after market "gallery viewer", e.g., QuickPic.  I do not wish to root my nook because I primarily use my NC as a stand-a-lone device and transfer almost all my files and B&N purchase using the USB cable.

Thanks for the help

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

Re: NC Gallery only opens one picture at a time

dekunffya wrote:

The NC gallery application works great when the picture is saved on the "on board" memory.  However when photos are saved to the SD card, the gallery only opens one picture at a time, even if muliple photographs are in the same folder.  I also do not have an auto preview, access to the slide show feature, or able to "go back" to the folder without closing back to the menu bar when the file is on the SD card.   Am I doing something wrong (nothing really listed in the manual)?

I see lots of comments on purchasing an after market "gallery viewer", e.g., QuickPic.  I do not wish to root my nook because I primarily use my NC as a stand-a-lone device and transfer almost all my files and B&N purchase using the USB cable.

Thanks for the help

Well, the good news is, it isn't you.  The bad news is that the NC Gallery App is kind of stinky (though in fairness to B&N, back in Dec 2010, the stock android gallery app on phones was stinky also.  But you had access to other android programs to make it functional. QuickPic, JustPictures, etc.)

Question 1: Do you have anything else on your SD card besides the photos?  If so, can you access those files? (ie.make sure that your SD card is installed correctly, being read.)

Question 2: Where did you put your photos on the SD card?  Mine are located:

* Memory Card

* My Files

* Pictures

* have my individual photo folders here

Theoretically, this shouldn't make a difference, since the Gallery App should find everything but just checking.

Question 3: Are you viewing the photos from the gallery app or from your library?  If from the Gallery App, you should see EVERY PHOTO (even some you don't want like screen shots unless you add the nomedia file to a particular folder.)  The Gallery App does not have the ability to view individual folders --- it will throw ALL the photos into the viewer with the most recent photo first (uses the date the photo was created as the sort function. There are no other sort options. So for example, your vacation photos will be viewed BACKWARDS unless you take the time to do some work arounds.) You should be able to use the slide show function though.

You can also access your photos from the library and get to your individual folder / photo.  There is NO previewer and you do not have access to the slide show feature if viewing photos from this method.  BUT you can use the backswipe feature (in the status bar, backswipe between the battery icon and the up arrow in the middle.  Backswipe can be a little sensitive though so be patient.) Backswipe should get you back to where you were in your library (so you don't have to start all over looking for your photo.)

The request for a more functional photo program or "fix" has been put to Sam (moderator) back in May, but I have no idea where it is in the priority queue with B&N.

In the meantime, CaptainGuy created a "work around."  that doesn't require rooting (haven't tried it myself, as I have too many photos to make this practical.)  Here's the link:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Color-General-Discussion/Gallery-App-Recommendation/m-p/...

His workaround is located about mid-May.

Hope this helps!

Mark_OB1
Topics: 23
Kudos: 1,358
0 Kudos

dekunffya wrote:
The NC gallery application works great when the picture is saved on the "on board" memory. 
Lots of us would disagree with that.  :smileyhappy:
However when photos are saved to the SD card, the gallery only opens one picture at a time, even if muliple photographs are in the same folder.  I also do not have an auto preview, access to the slide show feature, or able to "go back" to the folder without closing back to the menu bar when the file is on the SD card.   Am I doing something wrong (nothing really listed in the manual)?

If you open a picture from MyFiles (instead of launching the Gallery App directly), there's a bug that it won't let you move between pictures, run a slideshow, etc.  The "context" is limited strictly to that one picture.  As the Gardener pointed out, you can backswipe in the status bar area to get back out to your Files folder to  access another picture, but that's about all you've got.

But hey, it's only been 9 months.  Give them some time.  B&N could fix this any day now.  :smileysad:

- Mark

Frankly, as much as I like my NC units (which is a lot), support from B&N in correcting well-known problems is simply pathetic.  Which is a direct contributor to the number of rooted units, by folks who would prefer to avoid doing so.

Distinguished Correspondent
HumbleCorrespondent
0 Kudos

I just want to point out that the Gallery works in the same sad manner, whether your pictures are on the NC proper, or on an SD card.  It works with one picture at a time if you open it from a file screen, on the NC or an SD card.  If you open up the Gallery directly, it will allow you to see thumb nails, to manually flip through full size pictures, and to start a slide show.  The big failing, however, is that except for directories that have a .nomedia file in them, the Gallery sucks in every type of picture on your device.

That's just my opinion, you can take it for what it's worth, or just leave it alone.