Frequent Contributor
tonyabionda
0 Kudos

NOOKcolor Supported File Type Question

I don't see eReader PDB files listed as supported or unsupported.  I have around 1000 books from before B&N started in the eBook game.  Are they supported on the NOOKcolor like they are on my NOOK?

From Specs Page:

Supported File Types****

Load these popular formats for eBooks, graphics, audio, and other file types from your computer or microSD card.

• EPUB (including Non or Adobe DRM)
  • PDF
  • Other documents: XLS, DOC, PPT, PPS, TXT, DOCM, XLSM, PPTM, PPSX, PPSM, DOCX, XLX, PPTX
  • Graphics: JPG, GIF, PNG, BMP
  • Audio: MP3, AAC
  • Video: MP4

Not Supported: LIT, AMZ (Amazon), LRZ/LRX (Sony)

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

Re: NOOKcolor Supported File Type Question

@tonyabionda,

NOOKcolor will NOT support PDB file type.

FYI.

Frequent Contributor
tonyabionda
0 Kudos

Michael-V wrote:

@tonyabionda,

FYI.

I realize it's the red-headed stepchild from down the street, but...

You just lost my pre-order.

Looks like I'm still in the market for an Android tablet.  Way to support your legacy format, B&N.  

Frequent Contributor
Rutter9
0 Kudos

Sigh... just convert them. One click, how hard is that? Don't know how to? Read up on it.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015

[ Edited ]

Rutter9 wrote:

just convert them. One click, how hard is that? Don't know how to? Read up on it.

In the US, it's not legal to because the DRM would first have to be stripped off. And even if one chooses to ignore the legalities, "one click" is exaggerating.

(By the way, the maximum legal exposure for stripping DRM from 1000 e-books for one's own use with no financial gain, in the US, is $2.5 million plus court costs. I trust you'll understand that this would give some people pause.)

Inspired Correspondent
MusicmanGG
0 Kudos

The suppord for Adobe Epub - Does that include regular Adobe Epub (for Library Books) as well as B&N DRM Epub???

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,980
0 Kudos

Michael, what about books from BN that are still in PDB. For instance:

The Way of Kings 

Even today this file is downloading as a PDB, not an EPUB. Does this mean that I won't be able to use it on my nook Color?

Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
0 Kudos

Michael-V wrote:

@tonyabionda,

FYI.

IF you can load Android apps on the NOOKcolor, then you should be able to load the android ereader app from Fictionwise (owned by B&N) at www.ereader.com and use that to read your old PDB books.

Or can't you load apps on it?

---------
Don
Frequent Contributor
Rutter9
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

In the US, it's not legal to because the DRM would first have to be stripped off. And even if one chooses to ignore the legalities, "one click" is exaggerating.

(By the way, the maximum legal exposure for stripping DRM from 1000 e-books for one's own use with no financial gain, in the US, is $2.5 million plus court costs. I trust you'll understand that this would give some people pause.)

Sorry they never said they were DRM protected. They stated they got the books before B&N did ebooks. Otherwise I would of never responded. Not everyone is out there to rob people... let's not get all crazy here.

Frequent Contributor
tonyabionda
0 Kudos

donc13 wrote:

IF you can load Android apps on the NOOKcolor, then you should be able to load the android ereader app from Fictionwise (owned by B&N) at www.ereader.com and use that to read your old PDB books.

Or can't you load apps on it?

I honestly don't know.

It doesn't seem use the Android Marketplace so it's possible that I could load it directly. It's also possible that it wouldn't be able to be installed that way since NOOKcolor is built on Android, but customized for B&N and not just a generic Android Tablet.  It has it's own SDK  on top of the Android SDK.

It's also possible that it could be ported through the NOOKdeveloper program.  It's 'Learn More' pdf uses phrases like "Barnes & Noble's open eReading platform" and "the program is open anyone who is interested in developing reader-centric, rich content and applications for Barnes & Noble products and services" and looks very open and free.  Happy, happy, joy, joy.

There had to be a reason they removed it from the supported file formats, so here is my big question...

If they didn't include it themselves, why would they let someone else?  

So I cancelled my preorder and will take a wait and see approach.  If it turns out that the NOOKcolor will fit all of my needs after all, I'll purchase one.  As of right now, it doesn't.  

P.S . 80-85% of the 1000 are eReader DRM.  Even if they weren't it's not quite "one click" with that many books.  Especially if you want them to actually look nice, have TOC, chapter headings, etc.    I've done it and I know what is involved.

Frequent Contributor
tonyabionda
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Rutter9 wrote:

Sigh... just convert them. One click, how hard is that? Don't know how to? Read up on it.

BTW, I think it was the Sigh that annoyed me the most.  Just for future reference, don't offer "help" with a condescending and dismissive attitude.  It's not attractive.

**Edited to remove most of the snark**

Correspondent
JackalopeKing
0 Kudos

Doug_Pardee wrote:

Rutter9 wrote:

just convert them. One click, how hard is that? Don't know how to? Read up on it.

That's more than a bit extreme. You aren't going to be taken to court and fined that much for changing the format of your book. It'll take you uploading those 1000 and then a hell of a lot more to actually see fines.

Doug_Pardee
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

JackalopeKing wrote:

You aren't going to be taken to court and fined that much for changing the format of your book.

Probably not. DMCA circumvention lawsuits against individuals in the absence of file-sharing are pretty much unheard-of (without the file-sharing, it's hard to get any evidence). But it remains true that it could happen. $2.5 million makes a big target for a lawsuit—it's a civil suit, not a criminal fine—and almost any kind of settlement would wipe out most of us financially. Under the circumstances, I'm not going to be the one to tell somebody that they can go ahead and do something illegal with impunity.

Personally, I think that the point of DRM (if we must have it) should be to throttle illegal activities. Alas, the DMCA also makes it illegal to circumvent DRM in order to engage in legal activities except by authority of the copyright owner—and in cases under a few special exemptions. Like an awful lot of folks, I think that's wrong. But it is the law as it currently stands, and I'm not going to encourage anyone to break the law. Especially not in public, in writing, with a relatively permanent record of the posting, under my own name. :smileytongue:

New User
iLibrarian
0 Kudos

Does anyone know more about the PowerPoint (PPT/PPTX) support?

What is the application that provides the PPT support?

Does it support animation?

Are PPTs read-only or editable?

Is it fully compatible with PowerPoint 2010?

Thanks.

Frequent Contributor
tonyabionda
0 Kudos

iLibrarian wrote:

Does anyone know more about the PowerPoint (PPT/PPTX) support?

What is the application that provides the PPT support?

Does it support animation?

Are PPTs read-only or editable?

Is it fully compatible with PowerPoint 2010?

Thanks.

Quickoffice is available on a lot of smart phones.  I have it on my iPhone.  I'm only guessing, but you could probably get a good idea of what features will be on NOOKcolor by checking out the Quickoffice website and see what is supported on those other devices. Quickoffice dot com is their website.

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

Rutter9 wrote:

Sorry they never said they were DRM protected. They stated they got the books before B&N did ebooks. Otherwise I would of never responded. Not everyone is out there to rob people... let's not get all crazy here.

I promise not to get crazy myself :smileyhappy:, but this is a consideration-pdbs.  I have a sizeable number of books that I got from B&N, including 1 book that I was never able to open on my nook.  So, I had to download it to my PC and it was in pdb format.  Then I uploaded it into the nook in my documents area where I could read it.  This was not some old book but was "The Lovely Bones", a very recent release.  Many people have done the same thing for books that could not be opened-or they have archived all of their purchases by downloading them to their PCs as well as their nooks and most of them were in pdb format. 

Also, I have just as many if not more ebooks that I purchased from Fictionwise, a B&N company, that are in pdb format and are DRMed.  So, again comes the question as to when B&N will address Fictionwise book purchases and treat them somewhat the same as those from B&N directly?  Since it is a B&N company and since B&N also still releases (or did so very recently) books in pdb format only, they should offer on both sites (B&N and Fictionwise) a free conversion tool so that people can legally convert DRMed pdbs into a format readable by the nook color and which still can keep the DRM. 

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Frequent Contributor
Rutter9
0 Kudos

Another thing to think about: If there is going to be open development on this, I am sure on the top of the list would be to develop the ability to read other file formats :smileyhappy:

Contributor
Woofhoundz
0 Kudos

So, are you saying that all the ebooks i've purchased so far from B & N I will NOT be able to read on the NookColor?  If so, that seems to defeat the purpose.

Doug_Pardee
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Woofhoundz wrote:

So, are you saying that all the ebooks i've purchased so far from B & N I will NOT be able to read on the NookColor?  If so, that seems to defeat the purpose.

I would expect that all of your B&N NOOKbooks that you've already bought will download and read just fine on a NOOKcolor. The questions were about e-books bought in Secure eReader PDB format from other sites (mainly Fictionwise and eReader.com).

As for defeating the purpose... I suspect the purpose of NOOKcolor is to support NOOKkids, NOOKnewsstand, and whatever they call their app store. Support of ordinary NOOKbooks is in there, but for them, NOOKcolor adds no value over the less expensive E-Ink NOOK devices.

Contributor
Woofhoundz
0 Kudos

Great.  I've purchased books thru StanzaFictionwise and I can read them via my Documents folder.  I cannot read ebooks from Amazon.