Contributor
JoeRL
0 Kudos

NOOKcolor and Calibre for Newspaper Delivery

Hi,

We just got our NOOKcolor this past weekend and LOVE IT!  I just discovered Calibre and now have v0.7.29 installed on my PC.  The main reason I pursued it was to get newspapers (USA Today, New York Times Headlines, Denver Post, etc.) downloaded daily for free and available for reading on the NC.

Calibre seems to be working just fine.  I have successfully "fetched" some newspapers and got them scheduled for daily download.  I also discovered the built-in Calibre web server and got it working to provide web access to the Calibre content (newspapers).  

I have successfully sideloaded the Calibre content to the NC, and can read it just fine.

What I would like to achieve is to have the NC access the Calibre content without having to connect it each day to the PC for sideloading.  I was able to access the Calibre main page and index of content over my wireless network using the NC's web browser, but when I try to access the actual content it does a download and then says: "Download unsuccessful".  I have tried converting the content to EPUB, PDF and MOBI format in Calibre, but none of them seem to work.  Evidently the NC browser does not support any of these file formats.

Is there some way to achieve this with Calibre and the NC?  It would be great if Calibre had an HTML output format for conversions.

Any ideas, anyone?

Frequent Contributor
cbtengr

Re: NOOKcolor and Calibre for Newspaper Delivery

[ Edited ]

"I was able to access the Calibre main page and index of content over my wireless network using the NC's web browser"

I couldn't find this on the Calibre website. You would probably need to have a version of Calibre installed on the NC.

You may be able to use bookmarked RSS feeds in the browser.

Correspondent
mogulman
0 Kudos

I don't have my NC yet but I was thinking I would schedule the newspaper download and put the result on either my internal webserver or my MS skydrive.  I could schedule a task to do it automatically.  I would still need to download it from the web.

Contributor
JoeRL
0 Kudos

Well,, I HAVE the NC, and the problem is you can NOT download into the NC from the web server (Calibre in my case).  THAT is what I am trying to resolve  - how to get the content (newspapers and magazies) that were automatically fetched from the Web by Calibre and made available in the Calibre Content Server to be transferrred to my NC via my wireles network.  The NC wants to "download" that content, but the downloads always fail.  Has anyone gotten this to work????

Frequent Contributor
cssathya
0 Kudos

From what I have seen, Calibre can be scheduled to automatically fetch news from various sites periodically (say daily). Calibre then converts the news into an ePUB file, which can then be transferred to the NC. I don't think you can download it wirelessly to NC unless you setup Calibre as a server and then access it from NC. Haven't tried that though.

The ePUB file that does get created by Calibre works fine on the NC.

Contributor
allyoucanread
0 Kudos

I haven't tried this myself...but wondering if this would work for the NC as well

http://www.nookboards.com/forum/index.php?topic=3263.0

Contributor
JoeRL
0 Kudos

cssathya wrote:

From what I have seen, Calibre can be scheduled to automatically fetch news from various sites periodically (say daily). Calibre then converts the news into an ePUB file, which can then be transferred to the NC. I don't think you can download it wirelessly to NC unless you setup Calibre as a server and then access it from NC. Haven't tried that though.

The ePUB file that does get created by Calibre works fine on the NC.

cssathya, thanks for your reply, but i know all of that and, you are correct, the ePUB files created by Calibre work just great in the NC when SIDELOADED, which I have already done successfully, and I think I have already stated all of that.  

I HAVE (as I have already stated) set up the Content Server in Calibre and have sucessfully connected to it WIRELESSLY with the NC - I can see the Calibre Home Page in the NC browser -  but when I try to access the content (ePUBS OR even PDFs) with the NC browser, it tries to DOWNLOAD the files, but it always results in "Download Unsuccessful".  I believe that is because the NC browser does not have built-in ePUB or PDF support (which ARE available for Firefox and I.E as plugins).

So the question remains:  How can I access the ePUB and/or PDF content created by Calibre on my PC WIRELESSLY and AUTOMATICALLY on my NC?  Is it even possible right now?

Contributor
JoeRL
0 Kudos

allyoucanread wrote:

I haven't tried this myself...but wondering if this would work for the NC as well

http://www.nookboards.com/forum/index.php?topic=3263.0

allyoucanread, thanks for your reply and reference to that post  I will check it out.

Reader 4
stevedaytona
0 Kudos

I just got the Nook and did the same thing - set up the content server on Calibre.  My NC can see the content but whenever I tap the 'get' button, I get the error message "Download Unsuccessful".

Did you ever resolve this on your NC?

New User
desk99
0 Kudos

Do you have a sd card installed. I have this working on my rooted NC but only with an sd card

Inspired Contributor
withfeeling
0 Kudos

A rooted Nook is a whole different ballgame since you can use a real file manager, and modify mime types. The need for an SD card is usually because some apps can only access content there.