Contributor
CJ_Badger
0 Kudos

NOOKcolor freezes when turning the page

[ Edited ]
  • Got the NOOKcolor in early December.
  • Setup, connecting to WiFi, registration, buying books and magazines all worked fine.
  • Software version 1.0.1

Problem: freezes while turning the page of a book

1. Will be working fine, then on a page flip it freezes
  2. A word will be highlighted and the "Highlight-Notes-Share-Look up" floating tool bar will appear even though I did not touched a word to initiate this action

3. Then, random words will be highlight and unhighlight on the screen, again without being touched
  4. This is when it freezes
  5. Cannot navigate away from the screen
  6. Sometimes the on-off switch will do a shut down, other times it will not work requiring letting the battery run out

This happens in a random manner and cannot be re-created by trying to repeat the most recent keystrokes.

Has anybody else experienced this? If so, what was the resolution?

Thanks!

PS: I checked the NOOKcolor tech support and general discussion forums and did not see anything similar.

Distinguished Bibliophile
phoneboy
0 Kudos

Re: NOOKcolor freezes when turning the page

You could try and erase and reregister (backup any files to your PC. Books from B&N are bkd up on B&N site) or return it for a replacement

sounds like you have a faulty nook.

JMHO

Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
Reader
chazcop
0 Kudos

i have the exact same problem with my Nook Color.

My only recourse had been turning off the Nook or just coming back to it in a few (when it would have gone off by itself),

Page turns in general are flakey.... Sometimes the unit freezes (& the text highlights as you say)...sometimes I end up 100's of pages away or somewhere else & all I've done is swiped in the normal manner.  I swear 1 out if 20 page turns does this.

Chaz

Contributor
CJ_Badger
0 Kudos

Thx Phoneboy. I will give this a try.

Contributor
CJ_Badger
0 Kudos

Thx chazcop. Important data point that someone else is experiencing something similar. This helps with the troubleshooting.

Bibliophile
laurieb52

@CJ,

When you flip the page are you tapping or swiping? Try the opposite method and see if that helps.

Also, does it only do this when you are charging the battery? Several users have posted issues regarding screen sensitivity and "by itself" screen actions when trying to read or use the keyboard when charging.

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
Reader 2
MGPam
0 Kudos

The same thing is happening for me.  I've had the NookColor for 6 days. The first 2 days were great, but now the freezing episodes are becoming more frequent.  I get the same behavior you describe - freezing while turning the page and word is highlighted that I did not highlight.  It happens with tapping or swiping to turn the page.  In addition, freezing also occurs during other normal activity, such as browsing my library, playing games, changing wallpaper, just about anything. 

Contributor
CJ_Badger
0 Kudos

Thx MGPam,  Another good data point. Hmm, a pattern is emerging.

Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
0 Kudos

Make sure you don't squeeze the frame or edge of the NC too hard.  I've noticed that it's possible to activate the touch-screen that way (which seems odd, since it's a capacitance screen, but I tried tapping the screen through a sticky note, and that definitely works, too).

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Reader 4
GennyMac
0 Kudos

I am having the same problem.  The only solution I've found so far is to shut it down wait a few minutes and start it back up.

I've had mine for 5 days and it started the first day I had it.

Thanks Guys.

New User
Beth_F
0 Kudos

I am having the same issue.  However, I am on Version 1.0.0.  In addition, when I went to check my settings the Nook took over and kept flashing open the brightness menu and wouldn't let me do anything but power off by holding the power button down. 

Contributor
CJ_Badger
0 Kudos

riffaraff, Thx. I'll try and pay attention to see if I am squeezing the frame or edge.

Frequent Contributor
Guyon
0 Kudos

You might want to try a FULL factory reset.

Turn your Nook Color off. Hold down the power and the N home button until on screen notification appears. Then follow the prompts.

Remember to deregister it first! Pg 76 users guide,

Contributor
CJ_Badger
0 Kudos

Hi Laurieb52, Thanks for the message.

Page turning is done by swiping. Freezing occurs both when plugged in charging and unplugged running only on batteries.

Inspired Correspondent
3reddogs3
0 Kudos

Have you tried doing a "soft reset"?

1)  Press and hold power button for 5 seconds, then release.

2)  Press power button for 2 seconds then release (to turn the NC back on). 

The User Guide says to do this "if for some reason your NOOKcolor becomes unresponsive".

If dogs could talk, it would take a lot of the fun out of owning one (Andy Rooney)
Contributor
CJ_Badger
0 Kudos

Hi 3reddogs3,

Thx for the message.

Yes, did try soft resets on a number of occasions. Also did a reinstall to factor settings, easy and painless but did not solve the problem.

Contributor
CJ_Badger
0 Kudos

Thanks everybody for the input, suggestions, and data points about similar problems.

The NOOKcolor unit was replaced yesterday. The B&N store manager was very friendly, immediately replaced it without question, and the task was done in five minutes (not counting the drive to the store).

My only concern with the swap was that the manager did not ask what was the problem. He merely slapped a post-it with a hand scrawled "defective" on the returned unit. It would have been better if detail about the problem was attached the unit. Hopefully, the B&N product managers are monitoring this Technical Support forum.

Here is wishing everybody a great NOOK reading New Year. >>grin<<

Reader 2
MGPam
0 Kudos

CJBadger - I also got my nookcolor replaced at B&N store with no problems.  The clerk tested the unit for a while and also found it locking up several times.  So it was marked defective and they gave me a new one.  So far with the new one I have no problems whatsoever, and no lock ups at all.

One addl note - I'm wondering if it could have been caused by my cover.  I have a Brunel cover with the magnet closure, and I suspect the magnet.  My husband thinks thats crazy.  But I have not put the new nook in the cover yet.  After a week with a perfectly functioning nookcolor, I'm going to put it in the cover and see what happens.

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
Solutions: 4
0 Kudos

The magnet in the cover shouldn't have any effect on your NOOKcolor.  It is a pretty weak magnet (I have the same cover).  There is a magnet built in to the NOOKcolor.  The SD Card door is held closed by one.

Contributor
CJ_Badger
0 Kudos

Interesting point about the magnet. I agree with Nallia that in this situation the magnet on the clasp is probably not the problem. Now that wasn't always the case in the past, but today's semiconductors and solid state storage coupled with better shielding means a device is less likely to be affected by weak magnetic fields. However, if the problem starts again I will take it out of the case.

Keeping my fingers crossed that this problem won't happen again.