New User
pfratz
0 Kudos

NOOKcolor not connecting to store

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I just bought a NOOKcolor yesterday and was able to use it to connect to the store while at B&N and then at home.  It is no longer connecting to the store though.  I tap "shop" and the shop home loads, but when I try to browse or search, I get the message, "service unavailable".  My husband has a Nook with 3G and he is able to connect to the store no problem.  It is also not letting me download books from our account.

I know it is not my wi-fi connection because I am able to use the nook to connect to facebook and other websites.  It's just the store that it's not working for.

Is there an option I'm overlooking? 

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

Re: NOOKcolor not connecting to store

[ Edited ]

pfratz wrote:

Hi,

I just bought a NOOKcolor yesterday and was able to use it to connect to the store while at B&N and then at home.  It is no longer connecting to the store though.  I tap "shop" and the shop home loads, but when I try to browse or search, I get the message, "service unavailable".  My husband has a Nook with 3G and he is able to connect to the store no problem.  It is also not letting me download books from our account.

I know it is not my wi-fi connection because I am able to use the nook to connect to facebook and other websites.  It's just the store that it's not working for.

Is there an option I'm overlooking? 

Don't panic.

The nook and NOOKcolor operate on different servers, so don't compare them or you'll drive yourself crazy.  Also, sometimes these things happen to one user and not to others.  Reasons why this may be happening include server maintenance, high usage by users (recent influx of HSN buyers-20,000 at least and the weekend), or work being done to update the store's selections and/or other stuff.

The suggestion which may not be pretty or fun is generally to try again later or to try doing a reboot of your NC by turning it completely off.  Hold the power button down until a box comes up asking if you want to power off, and say yes or touch the box to power off, then hold that button down again for a few seconds to turn it back on.  Reconnect to wifi and check again.

Just remember whenever this happens that the "service unavailable" is a big clue.  It means that the shop area is not available right now-your downloads come from that same area as well.  It's like using your web browser on your computer to view a website that was on the news as offering free stuff to everyone who logs on.  If you go to your computer and try to get to that website, your browser will tell you you can't, most likely and will list the possible reasons why.  The main suggestion is to try again later.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Inspired Contributor
Charles-R
0 Kudos

It could be a temporary problem with the BN store. 

Or, it could be that your nook is hung up.  This has happened to me a few times, and I've always been able to fix it by rebooting the nook (that is, power down by holding the power buttton down for 6 seconds, then powering up again).

New User
pfratz
0 Kudos

Thanks to the both of you!  Turning it off completely worked.  (I was apparently just putting it to sleep :smileytongue:)

Anyway, thanks so much!!