Reader 4
springc65
0 Kudos

NOOKcolor won't turn on, even with a full charge

All was fine with my NOOKcolor this morning, but this afternoon I can't get it to turn on / wake up.  The charge is at full, as shown by the green light on the power cord, and by the fact that I charged it just yesterday.  Tapping or holding the HOLD or POWER buttons causes no response: still a black screen.  When I connect it to my computer, the computer does not recognize that a USB device has been attached, which seems ominous.  I haven't done anything fancy with my NOOKcolor, just uploaded books.  Any recommendations or magic words?

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
Solutions: 4
0 Kudos

Re: NOOKcolor won't turn on, even with a full charge

Wordsmith
mbratch
0 Kudos

How long did you hold the power button on for? If you just clicked it, try holding it pressed for a few seconds and see if that resuscitates it. If it was really off for some reason (and not sleeping) then you have to hold it a few seconds. Worth a shot...

The USB won't be visible to the PC unless it is on and awake.

Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
0 Kudos

It's broke.  Busted.  Return/exchange. 

Bummer.

:smileysad:

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Reader 4
springc65
0 Kudos

Ah, good news!  Holding both the power + home buttons together for 5-10 seconds seems to restarted it.  Whew.  The power level was greatly reduced from a few hours ago, so something must have been burning CPU cycles while it slept.  I'll keep my eyes on it and hope it doesn't do this again.  Thanks, all, for the comments.

Frequent Contributor
CasperAZ
0 Kudos

springc65, what a relief that your situation straightened out and everything is back to being hunky-dory. :smileyhappy:

"The NOOKcolor Aficionado"
Wordsmith
mbratch
0 Kudos

Yeah that does a factory reset or something like that. The power on function is a "soft" power on, so the firmware must have been out in space spinning somewhere, consuming battery. Glad to hear that worked for you. :smileyhappy:

Inspired Contributor
withfeeling
0 Kudos

I think the cause of some of the flaky behavior is the difference between how a Windows or a Mac computer treats applications and how Android treats them.

Android doesn't entirely kill apps when you exit from them, it leaves them in memory in case you want to return to them. This is a good thing because when you go back to an app it doesn't just start at the beginning again. Instead, you can mostly go back to where you left off.

However, all software has bugs, and when something goes wrong due to one such insect, that error too will stay in memory with the app. The only way to really force the app to reinitialize (at-least with the tools in a nonrooted NC) is to fully shut it down. That isn't the only possibility. There are also cases where the bugs are in the Android kernel and drivers, and, of course, nothing shuts that down except a full power-off.

The moral of the story is that if something is behaving strangely, it is not enough, usually, to just "exit" the app, and "restart" it. You probably should try a full power-off before you panic too much.