New User
eagle1EK
0 Kudos

Need machine name for wireless network

My wireless network provides security by requiring the machine name to be registered with the router.  How do I find the machine name of my nookcolor device?  Please advise.  Thanks.

Distinguished Correspondent
scott88
0 Kudos

Re: Need machine name for wireless network

eagle1EK wrote:

My wireless network provides security by requiring the machine name to be registered with the router.  How do I find the machine name of my nookcolor device?  Please advise.  Thanks.

I assume you mean the MAC address. You can turn off MAC address filtering on your router or white-list your nooks address Note that you have to register your nook before you can get to the menus. Just go into the settings of your Nook and select Device info and then select about your nook color and it will list your MAC Address. If you have logging turned on you may be able to just look at the log for the last MAC address that tried to connect.

I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.
Inspired Contributor
CaptainGuy
0 Kudos

machine name and MAC address are not the same... Most OS's have a machine name, a disk name, etc.  These are set by the user.  MAC address is not changable, tho it can be spoofed.

As other have said, you may need to ask IT to help with the router settings

7 & 2 and still playing with the new.
Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

With your router settings as they are currently, you may be out of luck, as the NC does not have a machine name. We have 2 Nook Colors and 2 nook classics. All come up as "unknown device"on my Netgear router. I can only tell which one is which by looking at their MAC address.

Changing settings on your router may be required. Nook Color likes WPA2-PSK.

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!