Contributor
dblanton
0 Kudos

New NC Device Info shows Avilable storage 1.00 GB of 1.oo Gb

Just registered a new nook for my wife...downloaded and installed 1.3...so far so good. I looked at device info and and it tells me I have 1 GB free of 1 GB. My nook has 5 GB...I believe the total is 8 GB with 5 GB available. So...anyone ever seen this ?   Something's not right...

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Re: New NC Device Info shows Avilable storage 1.00 GB of 1.oo Gb

dblanton wrote:

Just registered a new nook for my wife...downloaded and installed 1.3...so far so good. I looked at device info and and it tells me I have 1 GB free of 1 GB. My nook has 5 GB...I believe the total is 8 GB with 5 GB available. So...anyone ever seen this ?   Something's not right...

I'm assuming you have a Nook Color?  The available memory of 1 GB is what is available for sideloaded content. The other memory is in a hidden partition for B&N books and Apps.  If you search the boards you'll find several discussions on this.

Contributor
dblanton
0 Kudos

Yes its a nook color....when i connect via usb...and look at properties of the wife's new device in My Computer, it shows a capacity of 1 gb.

when i do the same for my nc, it shows a capacity of 5 gb.

Inspired Contributor
BanjoBen
0 Kudos

Older devices have 5 GB available.   Newer devices only have 1GB.  This change occured several months back (can't remember the exact time frame).  If you search the boards as was suggested, you can find lots of information on the topic.  

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

Total storage is 8gb, separated into 2 partitions. One partition is reserved for the operating system and B&N content. The other partition is available for sideloading your stuff, including music, books, pictures, etc. Older NCs had a larger 5gb user partition. But when apps and other enhanced B&N content came along, the B&N partition got full very quickly. Older NCs could be repartitioned to have a smaller user patition and a bigger B&N one. Newer NCs come already set up like this. Users wanting to add a lot of their own stuff can get microsdhc cards to supplement the storage. On older NCs you would see 5gb of storage. Many people got upset about this as well thinking they were supposed to get 8, but it's the same with any "computer" you buy. A certain amount is used by the OS. The great thing with the NC is the ability to add storage space and you can find great deals on microsdhc cards.
"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout

There are a total of 8 parititions on internal memory on the NC. 

Most of them are (normally) invisible to the user and (normally) best left alone. 

The two that are most important for storing people's personal content are /data and /media. 

/data is where downloaded programs live and is invisible to Windows.  /media is where sideloaded files live.

But where do downloaded books and magazines live? 

On "old partitioning" NCs, /media was 5G and downloaded books and files lived there.  Apps lived in

/data. 

On "new parititioning" NCs, /media became 1G and /data became 5G.  Books and magazines moved to /data.  All apps have always been installed to /data. 

The change needed to be made to support having lots of apps - the amount of room for apps needed to go up.

But if you don't use lots of apps, you probably don't care, and many of us prefer the old layout, both for the room and because we like managing our own libraries all in one place.

DeanGibson wrote a tool for reparititioning a "new style" NC into an "old style" NC. 

Links and instructions are here:

http://nookworks.blogspot.com/2011/05/oh-this-is-annoying-i-only-have-1g-of.html

I currently like either 5g available or 4g available to me.  The problem is that if I set up a unit with 2G available for /data, the OS moves my books into the unix-formatted part of the NC.

I set up a little tool for addressing that is available at http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?zzrr004z7jrwr6a

What this script has is two commands:

1)  rm -r /data/media/*

That command removes the B&N Downloads folder tree from your invisible /data partition, and it frees up the room that your BN books took there. 

2)  ln -s /media/B&N Downloads /data/media/B&N Downloads

That command links the download folder you can see on your computer to the place that your Nook expects to be able to put files.  So your Nook writes the files where it wants (to folders in /data/media/B&N Downloads) and you are able to see them, because /media/B&N Downloads is actually where that folder is.

If you are already rooted, this does not break root.

If you are not rooted, you do not need to be.  You will need to re-download your BN books. 

Instructions:

Make a bootable clockwork disk as described here, for Dean's tools:

http://nookworks.blogspot.com/2011/05/oh-this-is-annoying-i-only-have-1g-of.html

As well as putting Dean's tools onto that disk , put a copy of BNLibraryLinker.zip on the SD card.

After you've repartitioned and reformatted and restarted into Nook OS,

Put the SD card in and power off. 

Power on and boot into Clockwork Recovery.

Navigate to "Install Zip from SD Card."

Browse to "Choose Zip"

select the BNLibraryLinker file. 

Press the N button to install.

Press the power button until you reach the reboot command.

Remove the SD card, and issue the reboot command.

You may need to reboot a second time. 

Many thanks to Dean for his scripts, and to Ham'n'Cheese for the apk enabler, which gave me the

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Frequent Contributor
SeaFractor
0 Kudos

dblanton,

I used to have the 5GB, but I took my Nook into the local B&N and had them change it to 1GB.   Why?   With the older partitioning method the internal memory had 1GB for the B&N purchased content and 5GB for sideloaded (copied over using USB, etc).  

With the newer partitioning, I can now have 5GB of B&N purchased content and 1GB of sideloaded.   It's not a big deal to me for side loaded, as I also have an 8GB microSD card.

So if you happen to purchase a number of Nook Color APPS, you'll find you might want the newer partitioning scheme.

Contributor
oconnells
0 Kudos

SeaFractor:  If I understand you correctly we can take our old NC to Barnes and Noble and have it re-partitioned?  If so I may head out there this weekend, as I have a 16GB memory card so I'm not real worried about side loaded stuff. 

DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,240
Solutions: 18
0 Kudos

oconnells wrote:

SeaFractor:  If I understand you correctly we can take our old NC to Barnes and Noble and have it re-partitioned?  If so I may head out there this weekend, as I have a 16GB memory card so I'm not real worried about side loaded stuff. 

Yes;  I've done that for both of my NookColors.

Note that if you do that, you will lose EVERYTHING on the device (including any setttings, web page favorites, etc).  In fact you will have to reregister the device, and then all your B&N-purchased content will be downloaded again.  ANYTHING ELSE you had on your device will be gone.

Your SDcard will not be affected, but you will have to remove it as part of the process.

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
2 Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Contributor
oconnells
0 Kudos

Thanks,

I've been told by a coworker who as the NC that if I do that it can't be rooted any more is this true?

DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,240
Solutions: 18
0 Kudos

oconnells wrote:

Thanks,

I've been told by a coworker who as the NC that if I do that it can't be rooted any more is this true?

NO

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
2 Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Contributor
oconnells
0 Kudos

Thanks